Famous Battles

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Recently while doing some browsing regarding the country of Lithuania, I stumbled across the Battle of Grunwald in 1410. Apparently Lithuanians at the time were one of The last people's in Europe to still be pagans. This medieval battle between Teutonic Knights(led by Ulrich von Junginen and Polish/Lithuanian force led by Wladeslaw Jagiello and Vytautas the great. It was one of Europe's largest battles and I have never heard a thing about it until now!

It'd make for a very interesting story(movie/series) if done correctly.

Jan_Matejko,_Bitwa_pod_Grunwaldem.jpg

Last edited:

Riggins44

Master
CDB, if you haven't you should read the historical fiction novel Poland by James Michener. It is very interesting and entertaining. The first four chapters are about the Poles defending their nation from the Mongols, Teutonic Knights, Swedes and Turks at different times in history. The second chapter ends with the Battle of Grunwald. The fourth chapter ends with the raising of the Siege of Vienna in 1683 by the Jan Sobieski-led Polish-German army and is especially outstanding. I think you would enjoy it.

Rick94

I don't know, but it seems like they don't teach a lot of major parts of the history. I've been out of school for ten years. In those years I've learned more history than ever. In fact, I didn't even know there were Northern Crusades, or why the Russians became Eastern Orthodox, or that the Jews were expelled from every single country in Europe, and so on, and so on. Maybe the parts we get are just the convenient ones? Are they afraid to tell the whole story? They say a person must decide based on both sides of the story. What do you think a person would decide by knowing what they think is convenient? Thank you.

Flint

Mentor
History teaching will always be limited by the sheer amount of history there is to teach. Ideally a government school system should focus on the history of the nation it represents and those people. Of course nowadays the government history curriculum is controlled by people openly hostile to the home nation and founding peoples. So much of history in schools is pure propaganda to support the politically correct orthodoxy. There is no time for digging into European history when the life of Harriet Tubman and Sacajawea are so much more important.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
CDB, if you haven't you should read the historical fiction novel Poland by James Michener. It is very interesting and entertaining. The first four chapters are about the Poles defending their nation from the Mongols, Teutonic Knights, Swedes and Turks at different times in history. The second chapter ends with the Battle of Grunwald. The fourth chapter ends with the raising of the Siege of Vienna in 1683 by the Jan Sobieski-led Polish-German army and is especially outstanding. I think you would enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation sounds right up my alley!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
History teaching will always be limited by the sheer amount of history there is to teach. Ideally a government school system should focus on the history of the nation it represents and those people. Of course nowadays the government history curriculum is controlled by people openly hostile to the home nation and founding peoples. So much of history in schools is pure propaganda to support the politically correct orthodoxy. There is no time for digging into European history when the life of Harriet Tubman and Sacajawea are so much more important.

That depends on who is doing the teaching, jaxvid.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Today is the 604th anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald.

davidholly

Mentor

In addition to help kick starting the renaissance this battle also led to the discovery of America. The Ottomans closed off the silk road leading western European traders to look for another route to Asia.

Last edited: