Evidence of the Caste System (Draft '09)

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I just was looking at the article "Lateral agility trumps 40-yard speed on football field" on Profootballweekly.com which was linked by Draftdaddy. I found it very interesting that the top two WRs for the time their pro agility drill (short shuttle) was better than their speed (40 time) were Nate Swift and Brian Hartline (both white). This would normally show that these guys lose virtually no speed when making their cuts in their routes. Here are the top 5 scores of WRs on Profootball weekly:

Nate Swift, Nebraska &nb sp;0.42
Brian Hartline, Ohio State0.42
Greg Orton,Purdue      0.39
Jeremy Childs, Boise State0.37
Kevin Ogletree, Virginia 0.33
Austin Collie, Brigham Young0.33
Ramses Barden, Cal Poly 0.32
Kenny McKinley, South Carolina 0.32
Brian Robiskie, Ohio State 0.29
Dominique Edison, Stephen F.A 0.28
Sammie Stroughter, Oregon State 0.28
Taurus Johnson, South Florida 0.27
Andrew Means, Indiana 0.25
Tiquan Underwood, Rutgers 0.24
Average 0.20

[url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2 009/rock040609.htm[/url]

We should also note that Austin Collie would have been 0.5 seconds better for Pro agility time if you used his Pro Day time instead where he ran a brilliant 4.07. Also Julian Edelman (who I see as a good "project" RB/wildcat QB and "sleeper" pick in the later rounds) ran a 4.52 40 at his Pro-Day, but ran an eye-popping 3.92 short shuttle (this would put Edelman at the top of this list with a 0.6 difference). Edelman also ran a brilliant 6.62 3-Cone. We should also note another combine snub, Eric Peterman's score for this test would be 0.37, putting him in the top 5. Peterman ran a 4.08 short shuttle and 4.45 40 yard dash (he also ran a jaw dropping 6.58 3-Cone). Andrew Means ran a fast 4.46 40 at the Combine, but still ran a 4.21 short shuttle. This put him above the average score of 0.20 for WRs, with a 0.25 score.

So if agility really does trump speed on the football field than why aren't these white skill players hot draft commodities right now? Whites do everything to prove their athleticism on the field and through workouts, but keep getting shafted.

I think this is more sure proof of the caste system existing. This shows that whites look to have a small advantage in agility in the X-Y plane (ability to make one quick cut on the move: X-Y agility is also important for leaping ability while on the run as well). I would also say we have "VERY close" to equal agility amongst our athletes in the X-Z plane which is more indicated by the Broad Jump and the 3-Cone to some extent as well (ability to "swivel" around through tight spaces: hamstring strength is important for this).

White football players tend to average better than blacks, in fact, in the 3-Cone drill- due to our great footwork, quad strength to re-direct momentum and our technique. White athletes indeed MORE than measure up athletically. When will people wake up to this?

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here are two black prospects who tested out horrible athletically, but are still hot commodities. The hyping of blacks never ends, no matter how little it makes sense. This is from a Russ Lande article linked by Draftdaddy:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=534800

Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon
A ton of attention this spring has been focused on whether Ohio State CB Malcolm Jenkins is better suited to play safety or cornerback in the NFL, but until recently there has been little mention about the similar debate over Byrd. Everyone who has evaluated Byrd loves his instincts, smarts, competitiveness and ball skills. But they question whether he has the explosiveness and speed to consistently make plays as a cornerback in the NFL.

In our view, he can play cornerback and be very productive in a defensive scheme like the Tampa 2, where the cornerback is asked to make plays in front of him but gets over-the-top safety help. For a team that plays a lot of straight man-to-man, however, Byrd does not have the quickness or speed to be effective and would be best suited to slide inside to safety, where he could be a force against the run and would likely be among the league leaders in interceptions every season.

My take- Jairus Byrd ran a 4.68 40 on supposedly a fast track (according to Draftdaddy.com) at his Pro Day. How in the world can this guy play CB (the fastest position in football) in the NFL? He is ranked the 7th best CB on NFLdraftscout and Footballsblackfuture. Only Draftdaddy is smart enough to rank him as the 14th best CB and talk about a likely switch to Safety with his lack of "measurables". This guy would have to play off any fast WR or really have to bump them at the line and if he bites on a fake, Jairus won't have the recovery speed to make the tackle. And they said Eric Weddle was too slow with his pretty impressive 4.48 at the Combine which is a "slow track".
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State
Although he's not a great workout guy, Johnson has impressed most scouts when they break down film of his play. As a result, he has been slowly moving up draft boards.There is no doubt he lacks elusiveness and the explosiveness and top-end speed to hit the hole and take plays the distance, but he has many tools to be a productive back at the next level.

He is a strong, physical runner who attacks the hole aggressively and consistently runs through arm tackles to gain yards after contact. The more teams discuss him the more they see the potential of a starting big back in the mold of a Stephen Davis. That's why Johnson, despite his lack of ideal speed, will likely be a mid-round pick rather than a seventh-rounder or free agent.

My take: Gartrell ran a 4.75 at the Combine, but is still ranked the 21st best RB by NFLdraftscout. NFLdraftscout actually ranks Gartrell higher than Toby Gerhart and Jake Sharp are ranked for next year (even with the underclassmen declaring for this draft). There are plenty of whites who are one-cut north-south power runners like Gartrell. Mike Alstott, Tyler Roehl, Eric Kettani and Toby Gerhart are/were much better power runner prospects b/c they have better agility and speed and similar (if not slightly better) production.

Gartrell actually only ran for 2.8 YPC at Colorado State in 2006 when Kyle Bell was hurt, but came on strong in 2007 when Bell underperformed in his 1st year back from injury. Gartrell has no-doubt been productive, but has "VERY" limited upside for the next level. To me Gartrell's a priority FA or 7th round draft pick (at the very best) as a tailback due to his clear lack of athleticism. I would probably rank Gartrell a few spots above Brock Bolen in my tailback rankings (somewhere in the 22-27 range due to better production, but his measurables are very similar overall. Also Bolen is a better blocker making him an option at fullback as well, if it didn't work for him as a change of pace Powerback.
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'm glad you asked that. I actually just found my old research sheet from a month ago on all the RBs and therefore had to re-rank things a bit, b/c I wrote down analysis of the players after I had watched highlights etc. I added James Casey to my list as my #1 FB and as a quality 2nd round pick.

But about Bell. If I were a GM I would DEFINITELY consider drafting Kyle Bell as a 7th round pick if I really needed a powerback. Before his injury, Bell looked like the second coming of John Riggins or you could say a modern Terrell Davis/ Shaun Alexander/ Emmitt Smith. He ran a reasonable 4.54 at his Pro Day and ran solid agility times, which shows he may fully trust his knee again.

If his legs are indeed fully healthy, all Bell needs is a good zone blocking scheme where he can use his amazing cutback ability and acceleration to attack the hole and he may get his confidence/grove back. The guy showed in 2005 that he has elite talent. He ran through tackles like a beast out of a cage, but the production just wasn't there after the injury.

Also, Bell didn't get enough carries last year to find his grove. Bell's too high a risk though, to be anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick at this point, due to being a backup and lack of production and concerns about his confidence and knee. However, to think of what he could possibly be if he even comes close to his former self gives him big upside.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
While on this topic, what can we say about Larry English as the 16th pick in the draft to the Chargers? He's an OLB that runs a 4.88. If white he probably would have dropped to the 3rd round at least with a time like that. Maybe he can play DE, I don't know?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
ToughJ, does Bell have any chance at all of being drafted?Will he get a free agent look?

I guess I didn't answer the question as how you asked it. I don't think Kyle Bell will be drafted (I'm about 90% sure he won't). However, to me, he could be a good 7th round high reward sleeper pick. We all know how anti-white the NFL is. NFLdraftscout is a little more fair than most and they only rank Bell the 31st best RB. I have Bell 24th currently, but I have Tyler Roehl 9th and Stan Zwinggi 11th. Next year is much better for white RBs and WRs.
smiley4.gif

StarWars

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
While on this topic, what can we say about Larry English as the 16th pick in the draft to the Chargers? He's an OLB that runs a 4.88. If white he probably would have dropped to the 3rd round at least with a time like that. Maybe he can play DE, I don't know?
If he was white he never would of been noticed to begin with..what a horrible time...and still drafted high? Connor Barwin is twice this guy's athleticism.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good point, he probably would have rode the pine at any big name program with a 40 time like that if white. We should note he played at Northern Illinois though, so a white with a time like that might play there b/c they are a less noted program with less big-time or hyped recruits.

4.88 might be a time for a 1st round DE or even MLB, but I don't see it as adequate for 1st round OLB who has to drop into coverage to cover a TE, FB or occasionally even a RB or slot WR at times. And how did this guy get this much hype for a small time program? Must be black skin privilege.
smiley11.gif