Eric Johnson

Kaptain

Master
Here's a caste system story that I don't think has been talked about much on this site and yet it may be the most glaring injustice. In 2004 TE Eric Johnson had a whooping 82 receptions for 825 yards in just 14 games with the hapless 49ers. He was the one bright spot on an otherwise dismal team; I believe he was the teams leading reciever. In 2005 he suffered a season long injury in the preseason.

Black stars who get injured always retain their starting position upon their much awaited and heralded return to the field. After all we have all heard of the phase "you shouldn't lose your job due to injury". This seems to only be true only if the player in question is black. I challenge you to think of any black NFL star in the prime of his career that has lost his job due to injury. I can think of none in the present day. Eric Johnson, however, lost his starting job without a whisper of protest from anybody - not even on this site. Johnson is 27 and should be in the prime of his career yet he was replaced by a rookie.

Today Johnson got to start due to an injury to the rookie, Vernon Davis. Johnson once again led his team in recieving with 7 catches for 87 yards and TD. And damnit he's on my fantasy team - wake-up 49ers and make him the permanent starter. Oh wait a minute, I forgot you can't lose your job due to an injury.
smiley5.gif

Kaptain

Master
Correction: Vernon Davis did start the game but left well into the game as he was carted off with a strained calf injured on the Frank Gore fumble that was returned 98 yards for a TD. Despite playing most of the game, Davis recorded no receptions.Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Lavar Arrington lost his starting job due to injury, then managed to get so out of favour with the coaching staff and Dan Snyder that he took an early release...so it does happen, but very rarely. Meanwhile, my man Matt Bowen went down a bit before, and Ryan Clark got his job, despite being small and slow...Bowen barely got on the field in 2006. The coaches will use any reason to get another black on the field...