Emanuel Steward Passes.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Yesterday the Great Emanuel Steward died.

I will always consider Steward to be one of the exceptions to the race/mob called black people.

He always carried himself as a gentelman and sportsman. When he called numerous fights, he always called it fairly and protested when a affeletic boxer got the bogus decision against a White or hispanic fighter. Just as important to me he spoke proper English during the telecast.

Most importantly, he resurrected Wlad's flailing career after his 2 KO losses to Sanders and Brewster. He righted Wlad's career and now Wlad in HOF bound. Maybe he would have had the same effect on Andy Lee. He will be missed.

It was reported that he succumed to possible stomach cancer.

Rest In Peace Manny, I will miss you voice, insight and professionalism!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
"Most importantly, he resurrected Wlad's flailing career after his 2 KO losses to Sanders and Brewster."

No, Steward caused Wlad's loss to Brewster by urging him to go for an early KO against Lamon, who had a very good chin and had never been down. Steward kept telling him to throw more punches, and Wlad gassed. Big men need to pace themselves.

Brewster should have been an easy win for Wlad, if he'd been better advised - Lamon wasn't 250 pounds of sturdy muscle like Purrity and didn't have the hardest-punching left arm in boxing history like Sanders.

Wlad's success is due to his great athleticism and intelligence.

Steward has had little success with other fighters (except for Hearns): Lewis was KOed by Rahman, and Taylor KOed by Pavlik with Steward urging him to go for the KO until he gassed. Cotto also lost with Steward in his corner.

Steward is overrated. You could tell by the way he repeats himself on HBO he isn't very smart.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Ive always thought that Steward getting credit for Wlads success was castethink. Thats not taking nothing away from Steward. He did appear to be a better black man than 99% of them, but he certainly didnt deserve all the credit he got in regards to Wlad. Now I just hope more than ever that Wlad dont slip up and lose, because then it will be shouted from the rooftops that the great black trainer was the reason for his dominance. He took a big boring robot and transformed him into champion in the weakest era of boxing history.

Cant you just hear it now?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Ive always thought that Steward getting credit for Wlads success was castethink. Thats not taking nothing away from Steward. He did appear to be a better black man than 99% of them, but he certainly didnt deserve all the credit he got in regards to Wlad. Now I just hope more than ever that Wlad dont slip up and lose, because then it will be shouted from the rooftops that the great black trainer was the reason for his dominance. He took a big boring robot and transformed him into champion in the weakest era of boxing history.

Cant you just hear it now?

Steward was a good guy, don't get me wrong. He was fair, something few of the black announcers are. As far as helping Wladimir, maybe less so. It's trial and error and I believe Wladimir learned from his mistakes. After all, he had the best heavyweight in history looking over his shoulder.

I firmly believe in supporting European Boxers, and I believe in exposing racial biases in sports media coverage. That being said, I would never normally wish death on anyone, regardless of race. So, RIP to Emanuel Steward.

[video=youtube;IR1aPfX1I-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1aPfX1I-Q[/video]

Have a look at this video, it's entitled "Wladimir Klitschko vs Emanuel Steward" and it accurately captures the hostility that took place between Wlad and Manny in between rounds, during the Wladimir Klitschko vs Eddie Chambers fight in March of 2010.

In between rounds 11 and 12, Wladimir had won almost every round, and Emanuel Steward angrily says to Wlad: "He's (referring to Eddie) gonna run to survive, we need to get him out of there. There's no way he should be going 12 rounds. But you won't let the punches go. You've got to throw the punches, your volume of punches is too low. Just let them go, you got to let your punches go."

Wladimir then says "I will try Emanuel".

Steward then says, just before starting round 12, "You do not need to have another bullsh1t decision".

Wladimir then goes out much more aggressively in round 12, and knocks Chambers out with a left hook on the chin that sent Chambers unconscious leaning into the ropes, where he needed several minutes before getting to his feet. One of the better KO's of Wlad's pro career.

In my opinion, Steward gave Wladimir excellent advice in that fight. Sometimes as a trainer you have to push your fighter, and in that fight, Wlad was fighting too cautiously. When Wlad did open up on Chamber's, as Steward instructed, look what happened:

35lx5cx.jpg

Picture of Wlad, KOing Eddie Chambers in March 2010.

Some people say that Steward deserves credit for resurrecting Wlad's career. I find that debatable. It's always hard to say how effective a trainer is with any fighter. Also, we need to remember that Wladimir had accumulated hundreds of amateur fights, an Olympic Gold Medal, and about 35 pro fights before he even met and began working with Steward.

So, Steward definitely can't take credit for building Wlad. In my opinion, I would give Steward credit for the Chambers knock out above, and I would also give him credit for sticking with Wladimir throughout his career, roughly 10 years now since they began working together. Steward deserves credit for sticking with Wlad even throughout his losses.

Of course, Wlad is a tremendous athlete, and has an extremely unbreakable mental courage, which also deserves a lot of credit for his career successes.

How much credit Steward deserves for working with Wlad is debatable, but whatever the case, Wlad/Manny is an historic heavyweight fighter/trainer pairing and now its over!

Nothing stays the same in life over time, I guess!

The Hock

Master
Hadn't even heard that Steward was sick. Seems I was just watching a fight that he was commenting on.

In the end he'll be remembered as a great trainer and a good man. Whatever money we have in the end we can't take with us. What's left in the end is a reputation, and Steward's was stellar. And I think justifiably so.

Wlad's success is due to his great athleticism and intelligence.

Agreed!

Obviously, the person who deserves the most credit for Wlad's success is Wlad. He's just a remarkable god damn athlete. His power is not taught, it's born.

Also, what I admire most about Wlad is his deep mental strength. The simple fact is that after his losses, 99% of boxers would have retired or been relegated to journeyman status. Wlad has such a strong mentality that he carried on and turned himself into arguably the best heavyweight of alltime.

Adversity makes or breaks a man. In most cases it breaks a man. In Wlad's case it absolutely made him in an alltimegreat.

I do feel Steward deseres some credit, for sticking with Wlad, and perhaps fine tuning some training and fight tactics.

But most of the credit, as with any fighter, belongs with the fighter himself!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Steward has had little success with other fighters (except for Hearns): Lewis was KOed by Rahman, and Taylor KOed by Pavlik with Steward urging him to go for the KO until he gassed. Cotto also lost with Steward in his corner.

Steward is overrated. You could tell by the way he repeats himself on HBO he isn't very smart.[/QUOTE]

This is what is called sh*tting on a good man before he is laid to rest. Surely Manny gets some credit in Wlad and others successful careers in the fight game.

white is right

Hall of Famer

Steward is overrated. You could tell by the way he repeats himself on HBO he isn't very smart.

This is what is called sh*tting on a good man before he is laid to rest. Surely Manny gets some credit in Wlad and others successful careers in the fight game.[/QUOTE] He complete reinvented Lewis and Wlad. Without his teaching both would have probably been viewed as the second coming of John Tate(minus the out of the ring problems). He also trained any top notch fighter or prospect and has made American boxing more international. To me he is Yoda and Wlad is Luke Skywalker......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This is what is called sh*tting on a good man before he is laid to rest. Surely Manny gets some credit in Wlad and others successful careers in the fight game.
What annoys me is the castethink of people giving Steward all the credit for Wlad's success.

Wlad won Olympic Gold and was WBO heavyweight champion long before he hooked up with Steward. I consider Wlad's flawless performance against prime Chris Byrd and his domination of prime Jameel McCline (who was on a 19 fight winning streak) to be as good or better performances than his recent ones.

Keep in mind, Wlad's WORST loss against the mediocre but durable Brewster came with Steward in his corner, with Wlad gassing after Steward had him throwing too much, trying too hard for the KO.

Having said that, Steward was a better TV commentator than the likes of Max Kellerman, Al Bernstein and Teddy Atlas, all of whom are extremely reluctant to ever give a white boxer any credit. Steward was always fair in his comments about people like Pirog, Hatton, Pavlik and other white boxers.

I met him in Las Vegas before a fight and Emanuel seemed like a genuinely nice guy, friendlier to the ordinary fans than the other HBO commentators.

But I just HATE the castethink of "Wladimir's success is because of Steward" which is a LIE.

Anak

Mentor

And you're getting teary-eyed over a dead Negro. No need to give credit where it isn't due just because the guy is dead and you want to say nice things about him. Carcharias gave his honest assessment.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I've always thought that Steward getting credit for Wlads success was castethink. Thats not taking nothing away from Steward. He did appear to be a better black man than 99% of them, but he certainly didnt deserve all the credit he got in regards to Wlad. Now I just hope more than ever that Wlad dont slip up and lose, because then it will be shouted from the rooftops that the great black trainer was the reason for his dominance - he took a big boring robot and transformed him into champion in the weakest era of boxing history.

Can't you just hear it now?
Excellent post. :thumb:

Wlad won Olympic Gold and was WBO heavyweight champion long before he hooked up with Steward. I consider Wlad's flawless performance against prime Chris Byrd and his domination of prime Jameel McCline (who was on a 19 fight winning streak) to be as good or better performances than his recent ones.

+1, agree on all counts. Steward did not build Wlad. Steward took an already successful boxer, joined on the wagon, and arguably made some improvements.

In many ways I think you can say that Wlad should be credited in the sense that without Wlad, Steward was not having any success in current boxing.
His other fighters, Jermain Taylor and Andy Lee, both went nowhere fast and neither one of them had any longterm success like Wlad.

So I think that perhaps people should credit Wlad with helping Steward as well. Steward's legacy as a trainer is largely dependent on Wlad.

Actually, the trainer who deserves the most credit for Klitschko's success is whatever trainer started him in amateur boxing in the late 1980's and early 1990's, because that is the trainer who truly nurtured, developed, and "built" Wlad.

I don't even know who that trainer is, perhaps some sort of anonymous trainer in Ukraine or Kazakhstan. I know that at one point, both Klitschko brothers were working with Fritz Sdunek, (who by the way did an equally excellent job with Vitali), but I don't beliee Fritz to be either bro's initial trainer.

Even at that, a fighter is responsible for his own success, and all achievements a fighter gets really comes down to him and only him. A trainer is completely secondary. Yes, having a good trainer is nice, and having good sparring is important for a fighter.

But really, a fighter is accountable for his own successes and failures. (In my opinion)

Westside

Hall of Famer
And you're getting teary-eyed over a dead Negro. No need to give credit where it isn't due just because the guy is dead and you want to say nice things about him. Carcharias gave his honest assessment.
No tears here, Just giving a man his due. I believe in stating complimentry things about every man if warranted. ESPECIALLY if he advanced the career of future White HOFer Wlad.

Manny had a infuence in elite fighters performance. I NEVER said he deserved full credit. Try to focus on the intent of the thread. Will you!

Futhermore, as you can see, Carcharias tone changed in the positive regarding his assessment of Manny's influence and humanity in general.

Lastly, Anak if you want to post a lame "drive by" against / towards me, great. I Won't lose any slept, matter of fact I laughed over your petulant remark.

I consider myself a real warrior against all things caste in sports, by words, deeds and financial support. Anak, try to be really humorous if attempting to ruin the reputation of a CF Hall of Famer.

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I could care less if the DWF's consider the K brothers "boring." They are smart, I mean if you have a chance to win a fight without getting hit isn't that what you should do? Why be too aggressive and risk a loss?

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I could care less if the DWF's consider the K brothers "boring." They are smart, I mean if you have a chance to win a fight without getting hit isn't that what you should do? Why be too aggressive and risk a loss?

Exactly. The object of the game is to hit the other guy and not get hit yourself, and the K's are so great that they usually go through fights and barely even get their hair mussed up.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"Emanuel Steward Passes" is, I believe, Ebonics. White folk say, "Emanuel Steward passed away."

Last edited:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What annoys me is the castethink of people giving Steward all the credit for Wlad's success.

There's a lot of tributing of Steward in my area seeing as how he started in Detroit. However there is very little mention of his involvement with the Klitschkos. In fact in the first article after his death they weren't mentioned. Hearns yes, Taylor yes, Lewis yes, but not the K'bros. However that is in keeping with the MSM theme that the Klitschkos don't exist, that the heavyweight division went away after black americans stopped dominating it. It probably also seems like a betrayal to them.

The Steward "myth" is still beloved by the jew/honkies that control the sports media, i.e. poor black kid, starts boxing in the govt' program 'golden gloves' which helps him avoid the pratfalls of living in the 'projects' (another govt program), so he can eventually open a dank dirty gym in the ghetto and train other wayward negroes (like Thomas Hearns) from the Detroit ghetto, and makes them into champs so they can live happily ever after with their white wives and expensive cars (until they blow all their money or commit a felony--but that story helps sell papers too).

So Steward training one of the destroyers of black athletic supremacy is a transgression of the first order thus it has to be ignored or downplayed as much as possible.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Exactly. The object of the game is to hit the other guy and not get hit yourself, and the K's are so great that they usually go through fights and barely even get their hair mussed up.

Another thing, I believe both brothers would beat any heavyweight of any era. Think about it, Ali was too small, Tyson would end up a sitting duck like Sam Peter against Vitali and Lewis would be their greatest threat. Still a prime Vitali or Wlad beats Lewis.