Dr. Laura flips out!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised she didn't blame this on anti-depressants or a midlife crisis. Here is the NY Times article.....
smiley36.gif
‘Dr. Laura' Retreats After Use of Epithet

o

By JOSEPH PLAMBECK
Published: August 18, 2010

Following criticism and the loss of advertisers after her use of a racial epithet 11 times on her long-running radio talk show last week, Laura Schlessinger said on Tuesday night that she would not renew her contract for the show when it expires at the end of the year.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image
Craig Mathew/Paramount Television, via Reuters

Dr. Laura Schlessinger in 2000.
Related
Comment Read Reader Comments
Blog
ArtsBeat
ArtsBeat

The latest on the arts, coverage of live events, critical reviews, multimedia extravaganzas and much more. Join the discussion.

* More Arts News

On CNN's "Larry King Live,"Â￾ Dr. Schlessinger said that she would leave her "Dr. Laura Program"Â￾ because she doesn't want to have to prune her words or opinions.

"I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors,"Â￾ she said. "I'm sort of done with that."Â￾

On Aug. 10, Dr. Schlessinger used the epithet 11 times while arguing in an exchange with a caller that there was a double standard depending on who utters the word.

"Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's O.K.,"Â￾ she said. "I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate."Â￾

Dr. Schlessinger's self-help program grew quickly in the 1990s, helping to establish her as "the most important female talk show host in the history of talk radio,"Â￾ according to Michael Harrison, the publisher of Talkers magazine, which covers talk radio. According to the magazine, the show remains the third-most-listened-to talk show, with more than nine million listeners each week, tied with Glenn Beck and Michael Savage. In 2000, Dr. Schlessinger described homosexuality as deviant and derivative of "biological error"Â￾ and refused to back away from the comments, causing dozens of advertisers to pull their support from her radio program and a nascent television show.

Dr. Schlessinger took a different tack this time, apologizing on her blog and on the air the next day. Still, a day after her apology, the liberal watchdog group Media Matters for America posted audio of her original comments online and later called for advertisers to boycott the program.

The movement gained traction, as General Motors' OnStar and Motel 6 pulled their sponsorships of the program, according to Corinne Baldassano, senior vice president of Dr. Schlessinger's production company.

Ari Rabin-Havt, a vice president at Media Matters, said this incident "should serve as a lesson to radio hosts that their words matter."Â￾

"They can and should be held accountable for what they say on the airwaves,"Â￾ Mr. Rabin-Havt said.
Next Article in Arts (9 of 23) » A version of this article appeared in print on August 19, 2010, on page C3 of the New York edition.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ari Rabin-Havt-nuff said.

She shouldn't have retreated. I didnt hear the audio but I bet she was just talking about the double standards. Now, look she's quitting and sponsers are dropping her and jews are attacking her. So yes, there is a double standard. Point made. That's what she should have done. But f-her anyway. Another white wimp tossed on the pile is of no consequence to me.

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Ari Rabin-Havt-nuff said.

She shouldn't have retreated. I didnt hear the audio but I bet she was just talking about the double standards. Now, look she's quitting and sponsers are dropping her and jews are attacking her. So yes, there is a double standard. Point made. That's what she should have done. But f-her anyway. Another white wimp tossed on the pile is of no consequence to me.

I didn't know she still had a radio show. I checked out the audio.She did a nice job exposing the double standards. You would think she would have been given a free pass considering all the water she carried in the past for the same bunch tweaking her nose now.

Why these people always retreat, apologize and ask forgiveness is a mystery to me. It just reinforces the idea that they actually were guilty of doing something wrong.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Exactly Bart. She shouldn't have backed off a bit. She should have used it as another example of the double standard and kept right on going. Until White folks grow a backbone about these things, we can only expect things to get worse.

Europe

Mentor
Why apologize if you are going to quit? At least say I will not apologize ever and then get fired. At least she would have stood her ground.

Observer

Mentor
Bart said:
Why these people always retreat, apologize and ask forgiveness is a mystery to me.
Europe said:
Why apologize if you are going to quit?
It really does seem strange, at least to those of us who are not "social climbers". A person asks himself: "Would I apologize in such a position?" If one answers "no", then that may indeed be a truthful answer -- but it is almost a guarantee that you would never have been able to gain a prominent position in the first place.

It is not so much that the cream rises to the top, but that the non-apologetic are kept held down. An acquiescent nature, even if skills are otherwise mediocre, is not really a a threat to the status quo.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Europe said:
Why apologize if you are going to quit? At least say I will not apologize ever and then get fired. At least she would have stood her ground.

Exactly! She should've given no quarter & gave the collective "middle finger" out the door. This business of back-pedaling & bowing down is NOT the type A mentality that made our race great!