Do you wonder why Russians are such good fighters?

davidholly

Mentor
Sorry but dangling from 100 foot tower voluntarily isn't what makes good fighters. It makes good pancakes though.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Sorry but dangling from 100 foot tower voluntarily isn't what makes good fighters. It makes good pancakes though.

Yeah, but they're - the boys and the girls - absolutely fearless and seem to be totally contemptuous of whether they live or die. That can carry over to fighting too, no? Me, I've done all sorts of goofy sports, boxing included - caving, climbing, etc. - not to mention even goofier jobs - but I always had normal fear, and so did everyone else I was with - but they don't seem to. Are they on drugs?

This might belong on one of the non-boxing boards...

davidholly

Mentor
Yeah, but they're - the boys and the girls - absolutely fearless and seem to be totally contemptuous of whether they live or die. That can carry over to fighting too, no? Me, I've done all sorts of goofy sports, boxing included - caving, climbing, etc. - not to mention even goofier jobs - but I always had normal fear, and so did everyone else I was with - but they don't seem to. Are they on drugs?

This might belong on one of the non-boxing boards...

It's not a question of fear, it's a question of reality. A strong gust could easily kill one of them. Being fearless doesn't make a good fighter, any idiot can get into a ring. What makes a good fighter is being able to go into the ring confident that your training has prepared you enough to win.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"...What makes a good fighter is being able to go into the ring confident that your training has prepared you enough to win."

They've got great boxing training programs over there too.

What I'm trying to figure out is life for them so dismal that they couldn't care less if they live or die, or are they on drugs, or what?

American kids can barely waddle away from their tv sets, and those nuts are doing handstands on radio towers.

davidholly

Mentor
"...What makes a good fighter is being able to go into the ring confident that your training has prepared you enough to win."

They've got great boxing training programs over there too.

What I'm trying to figure out is life for them so dismal that they couldn't care less if they live or die, or are they on drugs, or what?

American kids can barely waddle away from their tv sets, and those nuts are doing handstands on radio towers.

They're adrenaline junkies, you've never heard of them?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My fear of heights kicks in just watching that!

I've seen various pictures of American iron workers casually walking on beams hundreds of feet up when the Empire State Building was being constructed with nothing below to break a fall, or a bunch of them eating lunch on a beam sticking out with nothing below it. Don't know if iron workers still do that kind of thing, my guess is they have to have a lot more safety measures than before in the U.S. Nanny State.

In my opinion, the best nation in the entire world right now for producing boxing talent is Ukraine. In the 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships they led the entire world with 5 medals, 4 of which were gold. In the 2012 Olympics, they tied with the UK for the most medals in the world, with 5 (keep in mind that UK was clearly favoured in that the Olympics were held in UK). In the amateur ranks, Ukraine has Vasyl Lomachenko, who is arguably the best amateur boxer of all time. In the professional ranks, Ukraine has Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, heavyweight rulers. Ukraine really is the global powerhouse when it comes to boxing and their numbers in the past 3 or 4 years demonstrate that.

One of the reasons why Ukraine is so good is because they have a top notch amateur system and the sport is popular among the youth. The sport is popular there and no doubt that is largely due to the Klitschko Brothers' successes. The K Brothers have invested in boxing in Ukraine (opening gyms and giving money to sports charity in Ukraine), and cards are usually held in Ukraine atleast several times per month. Their amateur formula is highly successful and thats why they have some great pro's as well. From an economic standpoint, the relatively lower cost of living and earning in Ukraine may contribute to their boxing success.

Other nations that produce particularly world class boxing talent include UK/Ireland, Russia, and Cuba (mostly blacks). Ireland as a nation only has a population of 3 million or so, but is responsible for producing some absolute top level world talent, capturing 4 medals at the last Olympics compared to USA which has a population of 300+ million but failed to capture a single medal. Lastly, some countries which aren't quite world class but still produce solid boxing talent include: Japan, Romania, Germany, Bosnia-Herzegovina, South Africa, Argentina, Slovenia, Serbia, Mexico, USA, Brazil, Poland, Azerbaijan, Philippines, China, India, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Colombia. Kazakhstan is an interesting case, and say 8 years ago was a leader in the sport. They had a guy, I still remember his name Sarik Sapiyev I think it was, I saw him at the Olympics he won gold and I was ***so impressed*** with him. He never went pro, a pity. Of course they also produced Golovkin who is killing it today in the pro ranks!

Here where I live in Canada, our boxing scene is mainly centered in Montreal and I have to admit, it is quite good! Montreal has had some amazing pro fighters in recent years and that is because boxing has always been popular in Montreal. Additionally, Montreal has a great youth system and that shows later on when the fighters go pro. Arturo Gatti, Jean Pascal, Lucian Bute, Leonard Dorin, Dave Hilton are all recent world champions out of Montreal!

One of the most obvious shifts in recent years in the sport of boxing has been Americans losing ground to Europeans. Another shift that is starting to take place *now*, I would say, is that China and India are starting to field more competitive teams. They probably won't win anything for a while, but say 10-15 years from now, I think we'll be seeing some Indian gold medalists and pro boxers.

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer

I've seen various pictures of American iron workers casually walking on beams hundreds of feet up when the Empire State Building was being constructed with nothing below to break a fall, or a bunch of them eating lunch on a beam sticking out with nothing below it. Don't know if iron workers still do that kind of thing, my guess is they have to have a lot more safety measures than before in the U.S. Nanny State.

Yeah, I'm way more scared watching that on the computer screen than they are actually doing it - and I've done some crazy climbing too, like in caves, caving/spelunking - but I was always kind of scared and didn't look down.

Oh yeah, I've seen those photos of the high iron workers building the Empire State Building, casually eating lunch on some beam, zero safety equipment. They don't make em like they used to over here.

Photos of the Empire State Building under construction -

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/06/vintage-photos-of-the-empire-state-building-under-construction/

There's this great video of an American guy who explores "unknown new york city" that you can download. One of the things he does is scale the Brooklyn Bridge up to the top, similar to what those Russian kids are doing*. He also goes underground, which appeals to me.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKlWC5vX8as

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
They're adrenaline junkies, you've never heard of them?

Yeah...a guy was killed last week swinging from rock arches in Utah. Have you ever seen that sport? It's on Youtube. It's crazy. Can't blame that on the Russians either. I think they just outlawed it.

Once, when I was into caving, we were practicing climbing off a high railroad bridge somewhere in New Jersey. There were people bungee jumping off the same bridge. They asked us if we wanted to try it out for free. No thanks! That was scary - and if they miscalculated your weight - and I weighed more than the average caver or bungee jumper - that meant you crashed into the ground and died, similar to what happened to that Utah arch swinger last week who used a rope that was a bit too long. They've also outlawed bridge bungee jumping since then.

In my opinion, the best nation in the entire world right now for producing boxing talent is Ukraine. In the 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships they led the entire world with 5 medals, 4 of which were gold. In the 2012 Olympics, they tied with the UK for the most medals in the world, with 5 (keep in mind that UK was clearly favoured in that the Olympics were held in UK). In the amateur ranks, Ukraine has Vasyl Lomachenko, who is arguably the best amateur boxer of all time. In the professional ranks, Ukraine has Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, heavyweight rulers. Ukraine really is the global powerhouse when it comes to boxing and their numbers in the past 3 or 4 years demonstrate that.

One of the reasons why Ukraine is so good is because they have a top notch amateur system and the sport is popular among the youth. The sport is popular there and no doubt that is largely due to the Klitschko Brothers' successes. The K Brothers have invested in boxing in Ukraine (opening gyms and giving money to sports charity in Ukraine), and cards are usually held in Ukraine atleast several times per month. Their amateur formula is highly successful and thats why they have some great pro's as well. From an economic standpoint, the relatively lower cost of living and earning in Ukraine may contribute to their boxing success.

Other nations that produce particularly world class boxing talent include UK/Ireland, Russia, and Cuba (mostly blacks). Ireland as a nation only has a population of 3 million or so, but is responsible for producing some absolute top level world talent, capturing 4 medals at the last Olympics compared to USA which has a population of 300+ million but failed to capture a single medal. Lastly, some countries which aren't quite world class but still produce solid boxing talent include: Japan, Romania, Germany, Bosnia-Herzegovina, South Africa, Argentina, Slovenia, Serbia, Mexico, USA, Brazil, Poland, Azerbaijan, Philippines, China, India, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Colombia. Kazakhstan is an interesting case, and say 8 years ago was a leader in the sport. They had a guy, I still remember his name Sarik Sapiyev I think it was, I saw him at the Olympics he won gold and I was ***so impressed*** with him. He never went pro, a pity. Of course they also produced Golovkin who is killing it today in the pro ranks!

Here where I live in Canada, our boxing scene is mainly centered in Montreal and I have to admit, it is quite good! Montreal has had some amazing pro fighters in recent years and that is because boxing has always been popular in Montreal. Additionally, Montreal has a great youth system and that shows later on when the fighters go pro. Arturo Gatti, Jean Pascal, Lucian Bute, Leonard Dorin, Dave Hilton are all recent world champions out of Montreal!

One of the most obvious shifts in recent years in the sport of boxing has been Americans losing ground to Europeans. Another shift that is starting to take place *now*, I would say, is that China and India are starting to field more competitive teams. They probably won't win anything for a while, but say 10-15 years from now, I think we'll be seeing some Indian gold medalists and pro boxers.

Just by looking at the Wikipedia page for Olympic boxing gold medalists, there are quite a few Russians and Ukrainians. Aleksandr Lebziak had a decorated amateur career and won gold at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney at light heavyweight but only fought 1 professional fight (winning by TKO in rd 1) before retiring. Then there's Gaydarbek Gaydarbekov who won gold at middleweight in 2004 in Athens, defeating none other than Gennady Golovkin! As far a I know Gaydarbekov has never fought professionally. These are just two of many I'm sure, as there is so much unbelievable talent over there! I wonder what keeps a lot of these guys from going pro? Seems like China has some decent boxers that never end up going pro as well.

GWTJ

Mentor
That famous picture of the iron workers having lunch on the steel beam is circa 1932 and was taken on the Rockefeller building, which is now the GE building. I have it on the wall in my den. There is controversy over who the actual photographer was but my money is on Charles C. Ebbets.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor

On most iron jobs Ive worked the safty people were always strict. We had to be tied off at all times, but man that slows down the progress of the construction. Most foreman are totally allright with not tying off, but when the safty men come around you gotta at least pretend to be tied off.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
That famous picture of the iron workers having lunch on the steel beam is circa 1932 and was taken on the Rockefeller building, which is now the GE building. I have it on the wall in my den. There is controversy over who the actual photographer was but my money is on Charles C. Ebbets.

You're right, that famous lunch on the steel beam photo was taken at what was actually the RCA Building located in Rockefeller Center. It's now called the GE building. It was built at around the same time as the Empire State, back when the USA was still a functioning country and building things. I thought it was taken at the Empire State.

Let's hope Larry f'ing Siulverstein doesn't get the notion to buy the ES Bldg next.

The unions fought long and hard to get safety protection on the job - and now our "lords and masters" are doing away with all of it by importing cheap laborers from Mexico and elsewhere in the third world with no benefits, no safety equipment, no nuthin, and American workers can get a minimum wage job at the Walmart or the Burger King or just starve to death for all they care.