Dick Lebeau Seniors nominee!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Well the Pro Football Hall of Fame voting is happening again and Dick Lebeau is a Seniors candidate. It would be nice if other White bubble boys could get a push in the next few years. Here is the AP wire story....Rice, Smith headline Hall of Fame nominees

(AP) â€" Sep 19, 2009

CANTON, Ohio â€" Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith headline the preliminary list of modern-era nominees for induction next year in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The list released Saturday includes 131 players, coaches and contributors.

Hall of Fame selectors will chose 25 semifinalists by Nov. 27, and 15 finalists by Jan. 7.

Voting will take place Feb. 6, the day before the Super Bowl.

Other modern-era nominees include Tim Brown, Herschel Walker, Cris Carter, Andre Reed and Sterling Sharp. Former commissioner Paul Tagliabue is also on the list.

They join two previously announced senior nominees, former Detroit Lions cornerback Dick LeBeau and former Denver Broncos running back Floyd Little.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
LeBeau should have gotten in as a player alone. Even an additional 30+ years of coaching hasn't helped to this point. It would be nice to see him getin as for as many years into the future as one can see, nearly all of the "modern day" playerselected to the Hallare going to be black.

white is right

Hall of Famer
From what I know the hall doesn't combine playing and coaching tenure. If they did I think guys like LeBeau and Reeves would be locks for the hall.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
From what I know the hall doesn't combine playing and coaching tenure. If they did I think guys like LeBeau and Reeves would be locks for the hall.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Some get in solely on their playing careers, some solely on their coaching careers. Some were players and coaches. LeBeau's long coaching career in and of itself doesn't come close to earning him a spot in Canton, but it certainly adds luster to his already strong credentials as a player.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think it's one or the other and not a"Potpouri" for a career. It's hard to think of a player that is a bubble boy as a player that had a championship level coaching career in football. In baseball Gill Hodges and the Scooter(as a broadcaster) are the closest that come to mind. Edited by: white is right

foreverfree

Mentor
white is right said:

There already is a Dan Reeves in the Hall, the Cleveland/L.A. Rams owner, who, along with the Cleveland Browns in the AAFC, were responsible for the start of modern-day integration in pro football (although the Redskins held out until I think 1962).
smiley5.gif

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=178

John