Devon Allen 12.84 Third Fastest 110 Hurdles Time Ever

white is right

Hall of Famer
View attachment 3524 my training shoes in 1970. It was either these or the long grass spikes on leather shoes that were often damp and cold - and varied in size due to that.
My feet didn't know what to make of it
My father had old leather shoes with spikes on them. He literally said that track shoes were one size fits all in the late 50's to early 60's. It's not just drugs, modern nutrition and modern recovery methods but the equipment change is huge too.

Modern sprinting shoes are like ballet shoes with spikes on them.

AC55

My father had old leather shoes with spikes on them. He literally said that track shoes were one size fits all in the late 50's to early 60's. It's not just drugs, modern nutrition and modern recovery methods but the equipment change is huge too.

Modern sprinting shoes are like ballet shoes with spikes on them.
Makes you appreciate the times of the runners of the past...and running on cinders. What Jim Ryun did in 1965 is astounding!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Makes you appreciate the times of the runners of the past...and running on cinders. What Jim Ryun did in 1965 is astounding!

Yes even without the shoes the track surface alone is 1000 times better than what guys like Borzov, Wells and others ran on. I love the new stadiums though as it has a concert feel to the big track meets. There is no doubt
that technology has benefited everyone but people still need to reckonize that these men & women train until they puke to be the best they can be. They push their bodies to the absolute limit.

AC55

Yes even without the shoes the track surface alone is 1000 times better than what guys like Borzov, Wells and others ran on. I love the new stadiums though as it has a concert feel to the big track meets. There is no doubt
that technology has benefited everyone but people still need to reckonize that these men & women train until they puke to be the best they can be. They push their bodies to the absolute limit.
Yes very true. I remember the track in Montreal in the 1976 Olympics was considered slow at the time, and Borzov still ran a 10.07 (100) and 20.00 (200).

AC55

Yes very true. I remember the track in Montreal in the 1976 Olympics was considered slow at the time, and Borzov still ran a 10.07 (100) and 20.00 (200).
Make that Munich 1972 - I goofed.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ha ha. His self proclaimed blackness wouldn't have saved him during the L.A. riots.
Ha during the riots I remember Mexicans were attacked by roving gangs and they weren't Louis CK types but obvious mestizos. I think it's obvious it's a political cause with him. But as a few posters have pointed out there is political currency in being Black. If Woods was Asian would he have been as popular in the black community?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This has to be one of the greatest individual 110 hurdles season by any hurdler in a long time. Devon Allen wins again in the Paris Diamond League Meet running a time fo 13.16 -0.2. :) The only thing
I will say is that he might have run way too many races. The US Track & Field Outdoor Championships starts in just 5 days from now. Not much time to rest especially with the jet lag with all the international
travel he has done lately. Regardless wow has he been amazing this year. Good luck to Devon Allen at the US Champs as well as to Trey Cunningham.