Devin Vargas?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does anybody know about his ethnic heritage. I am assuming he isn't ethnic Mexican as he would probably market himself as a Mexican. Is he ethnic Puerto Rican or Spanish?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I just read an article on BJ Flores and he probably considers himself White. The article stated that Flores only has partial Mexican ancestry on his paternal side and the article implied that he didn't consider himself Mexican.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Vargas fights loud mouth Kevin Johnson tonight on ESPN 2. His career has been rather quiet for a former Olympian. If he has the goods he should be able to beat Johnson who can't punch his way out of wet paper bag.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I see an American Indian when I look at Devin Vargas. BJ Flores appears to be white, though.

Anyway I hope Vargas defeats the big-mouthed Kevin Johnson tonight, but I honestly don't think he will.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Vargas looks soft and doesn't have a fighters heart.

Kind of a Mark Sanchez situation regarding his race. Vargas is definitely a white Hispanic but would be promoted as a Mexican rather than a whitey if he ever became champ (which, after seeing him in action, will NEVER happen).

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Travis Kauffman is now the standard bearer for white American heavyweights. Undefeated, young (23), good amateur background and 6'3, 230 or so.

Minto is too small, Tye Fields and Adam Richards are B-level fighters and Mesi, Marrone and Chapman seemed to have retired.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Vargas needs to move down to Cruiserweight. He is carry a good 25 pounds of fat on his frame. He looked decent until the superior strength of Johnson wore him down. As for the Kingpin he moved and fought like the Kingpin from Marvel Comics....
smiley36.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS you right, Vargas would have a better chance and success at cruiserweight. He definetly has some skill and is very quick. After this fight, however, he has to do some soul searching. He was looking for a way to get out of that fight, by claiming something was wrong with his ear. He has to understand that this sport is unforgiving. He as to realize you have to fight through it.

His management should be fired. Allowing him to fight on two weeks notice against a rugged heavyweight and not telling him he is soft/fat and should lose weight and fight at cruiserweight.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Vargas started off well but once he got hit clean a few times he broke down. His eardrum may have been busted in the match, he kept complaining about his right ear.Edited by: Blue Devils