<DIV itxtvisited="1" ="WCCol w300 fR clrR">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><T itxtvisited="1">
<T>
<TR itxtvisited="1">
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px" itxtvisited="1">
19065565_200X150.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="100%" itxtvisited="1"></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
<DIV style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px" itxtvisited="1" pcid="0">TheJacksonChannel.Com
<DIV itxtvisited="1" ="mR165">
<DIV itxtvisited="1">
<DIV itxtvisited="1" ="textTimestamp">updated 39 minutes ago
JACKSON, Miss. - A spokesman for Nissan said Deuce McAllister Nissan closed for business on Tuesday.
"We were told that Deuce McAllister Nissan in Jackson self-closed for business (Tuesday) night," Nissan spokesman Fred Standish said.
The former Saints running back's car dealership announced earlier this month that it had filed for bankruptcy.
During an interview with 16 WAPT News on Tuesday, McAllister said the dealership would stay open as long as the courts allow.
"We're still here; we're still operating," McAllister said Tuesday night. "We really don't know how long that will be, but that's what we're going to do until the court won't allow us to do it anymore."
Deuce McAllister Talks About Dealership
When a 16 WAPT News crew went to the dealership Wednesday morning, the office was closed and there has been no answer to phone calls to the dealership.
Nissan is suing the car dealership, saying it owes the company a forbearance of $930,000, according to court documents. The suit claims the dealership had an agreement to pay Nissan Finance a certain amount of money for financing cars, and it said Deuce McAllister Nissan is in default of that agreement.
Click To Read Court Documents
Standish said the dealership filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and therefore Nissan is listed as a creditor in the filing. The lawsuit is seeking $5 million worth of vehicles seized from the car lot.
McAllister issued a statement March 3, stating that the dealership has filed a petition to reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection but that "the reorganization is expected to cause no disruption to day-to-day customer and partner activities as the company positions itself to restructure." McAllister cited gas prices, the economy and a drop in sales.
"We want to assure our customers, our employees and our communities that Deuce McAllister Nissan is operating-business as usual," McAllister said in the statement. "Our customers can continue to rely on Deuce McAllister Nissan for its service, sales and community efforts."
McAllister, the New Orleans Saints' all-time leading rusher, was released by the team last month. McAllister spent his entire career with the Saints. He was selected in the first round of the 2001 NFL draft after a record-setting college career at Ole Miss.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29995001/Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of idiot black pro athletes who believe that because they have some talent in sports they will automatically be able to do something off the field like run a business.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Van_Slyke_CF said:
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of idiot black pro athletes who believe that because they have some talent in sports they will automatically be able to do something off the field like run a business.

I don't think they actually do much "running of the business". More like figureheads. However I don't think it's a bad thing, in fact I think it's probably a good ivestment (or was a good investment before the car market tanked). In Detroit there are a lot of Mel Farr Ford dealers. Mel Farr was a decent RB for the Lions years ago. His name has positive association in the public eye which gives his dealerships a leg up on the competition.

Since most men do the car buying in a family and football players are extremely well known in an area like Detroit, it probably is one of the better business investments an ex-player can make. After all, what does he really have to do after buying the business? Just hire a good manager and smooze all the big spending customers that want to meet the former superstar. After a restaraunt, a car dealership may be the most popular investment for an ex-player who, let's face it, has no other skills then their sports ability.

I don't disagree with the point that many black players make dumb decisions with their post career investments. In Detroit we have both extremes. Mel Farr is a success, and Dave Bing, an ex-Piston star is a successful owner of a steel business and is currently in a run-off for being the Mayor of Detroit.

On the otherhand Cecil Fielder is broke and on the streets and Willie Horton ran his manufacturing facility into the ground. I would guess for every 1 succesful black ex-athlete there are 100 out on the street already.

jaxvid said:
Van_Slyke_CF said:

I don't think they actually do much "running of the business". More like figureheads. However I don't think it's a bad thing, in fact I think it's probably a good ivestment (or was a good investment before the car market tanked). In Detroit there are a lot of Mel Farr Ford dealers. Mel Farr was a decent RB for the Lions years ago. His name has positive association in the public eye which gives his dealerships a leg up on the competition.

Since most men do the car buying in a family and football players are extremely well known in an area like Detroit, it probably is one of the better business investments an ex-player can make. After all, what does he really have to do after buying the business? Just hire a good manager and smooze all the big spending customers that want to meet the former superstar. After a restaraunt, a car dealership may be the most popular investment for an ex-player who, let's face it, has no other skills then their sports ability.

I don't disagree with the point that many black players make dumb decisions with their post career investments. In Detroit we have both extremes. Mel Farr is a success, and Dave Bing, an ex-Piston star is a successful owner of a steel business and is currently in a run-off for being the Mayor of Detroit.

On the otherhand Cecil Fielder is broke and on the streets and Willie Horton ran his manufacturing facility into the ground. I would guess for every 1 succesful black ex-athlete there are 100 out on the street already.
In Michigan Joe Dumars was also a successful businessman before becoming GM of the Pistons and of course Magic Johnson from MSU is a billionaire. Bill Laimbeer, on the other hand, ran a failed box making company that had to shut down. I think something like 1 out 4 businesses fail in their first 2 years anyway, so it's no surprise to hear one failed, especially in the auto industry.

Magic has talked a lot about how nobody would invest in his business ideas specifically because they thought he was a no-nothing athlete who was doomed for failure, which is probably true most of the time. They'd ask for his autograph but not give him any financing. He had to prove himself with his own money first.

I think being an athlete turned entrepreneur might be harder than one would assume. I give them credit for at least trying, as I do for any entrepreneur. Edited by: Fightingtowin

white is right

Hall of Famer
It's probably mixed bag. I know 2 Buffalo area dealerships that have closed. Many athletes have no knowledge of business. They just have money. Boxers are the funniest examples ever. Emile Griffith once bought a variety store and had his family run it. Within a year it went belly up because his family ate the products and raided the till.
smiley36.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
LabMan, I imagine it was because of the way it was ran. Deuce put millions into the dealership to get it off the ground a few years ago. Seems like there was some strange spending going on somewhere for this to happen right after McAllister was released by the Saints.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in response to Fightingtowin's comment on Bill Laimbeer...

he might not have been successful as a box manufacturer, but he's a heck of a basketball coach. his team in the WNBA is a perennial title contender. in his 6 years as a head coach in the WNBA his team, the Detroit Shock, has won 3 Championship Titles.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
in response to Fightingtowin's comment on Bill Laimbeer...

he might not have been successful as a box manufacturer, but he's a heck of a basketball coach. his team in the WNBA is a perennial title contender. in his 6 years as a head coach in the WNBA his team, the Detroit Shock, has won 3 Championship Titles.
I'm a huge Laimbeer fan as a player, commentator and coach. I just listed all the athletes turned business owners I knew of in Michigan. He was even my favorite player growing up for awhile. People often think of him as another "white stiff" but white stiffs don't avg. 13 rpg like he did one year. Very underrated athlete and great leader on those Pistons teams.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Fightingtowin said:
I'm a huge Laimbeer fan as a player, commentator and coach. I just listed all the athletes turned business owners I knew of in Michigan. He was even my favorite player growing up for awhile. People often think of him as another "white stiff" but white stiffs don't avg. 13 rpg like he did one year. Very underrated athlete and great leader on those Pistons teams.

excellent points.

also, if i recall correctly, he wasn't drafted coming out of college and had to play overseas before getting a shot to play in the NBA.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Fightingtowin said:

excellent points.

also, if i recall correctly, he wasn't drafted coming out of college and had to play overseas before getting a shot to play in the NBA.
I think he got drafted in the 3rd round by the Cavs, then played somewhere overseas, then came back to the Cavs (who were probably the worst team in the league). After 1 or 2 years he got traded to the Pistons where he and Isiah Thomas teamed up to run that team like the Mafia. lol I read a book on those Pistons and every new player on the team had to have a sit down with Isiah and Laimbeer. They would tell the new player exactly what role they were going to play and say, "if you don't, you'll have to deal with us."
smiley36.gif
I think it was John Salley who said he almost crapped his pants during that meeting.

I have another great story about his leadership skills, but will save it for another thread. Here's a pretty sweet mix of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGrQ38-pp0

He was also a 4 or 5 time all star. Edited by: Fightingtowin