Dementia Risk Seen in ex-NFL Players

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
A study commissioned by the National Football League reports that Alzheimer's disease or similar memory-related diseases appear to have been diagnosed in the league's former players vastly more often than in the national population â€" including a rate of 19 times the normal rate for men ages 30 through 49.

The Michigan researchers found that 6.1 percent of players age 50 and above reported that they had received a dementia-related diagnosis, five times higher than the cited national average, 1.2 percent. Players ages 30 through 49 showed a rate of 1.9 percent, or 19 times that of the national average, 0.1 percent.

Could this explain the frequent bankruptcies of guys who have made millions of dollars in their career or the OJ like behavior of so many of them? Naw but it is a good opportunity for the lawyers to make some money.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The biggest problem I see with this study is that the researchers were from Michigan.
smiley2.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
The biggest problem I see with this study is that the researchers were from Michigan. 
smiley2.gif

But I bet most of the "subjects" were from the Mississippi Delta.
smiley17.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
A study commissioned by the National Football League reports that Alzheimer's disease or similar memory-related diseases appear to have been diagnosed in the league's former players vastly more often than in the national population â€" including a rate of 19 times the normal rate for men ages 30 through 49.

The Michigan researchers found that 6.1 percent of players age 50 and above reported that they had received a dementia-related diagnosis, five times higher than the cited national average, 1.2 percent. Players ages 30 through 49 showed a rate of 1.9 percent, or 19 times that of the national average, 0.1 percent.

Could this explain the frequent bankruptcies of guys who have made millions of dollars in their career or the OJ like behavior of so many of them? Naw but it is a good opportunity for the lawyers to make some money.
Jim Kelly the old Buffalo News reporter suggested that OJ Simpson might not have all of his faculties after he was convicted of his robbery and confinement charges. I know boxers have had many famous fighters go off the deep end when their careers ended. Riddick Bowe is the most famous of recent fighters. But way back Al McCoy murdered his wife and there is always a story about a Meldrick Taylor every so often in boxing.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Colonel_Reb said:
smiley2.gif

But I bet most of the "subjects" were from the Mississippi Delta.
smiley17.gif

Last time I checked, Michigan has many times more "subjects" than the Delta. Personally, I'd rather have old age dementia than be a liar!
smiley56.gif