De La Hoya v Forbes

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Anybody watching this fight? Anybody care who wins?
smiley36.gif

Interesting. A fight between two Americans opens with the Mexican national anthem.

And De La Hoya comes into the ring to some kind of Mexican music of course.

I hope he loses.

They keep talking about how Forbes has never been knocked down in his 11 year career. So now I expect De La Hoya will win by KO/TKO. This whole fight is a prep for De La Hoya - Mayweather II in September, so a KO by De La Hoya would set that up nicely.

De La Hoya by UD, no surprise. Edited by: White Shogun

Blue Devils

Mentor
I watched it. I knew De La Hoya was going to win. He looked reasonably good considering he had a year layoff. I think he can beat Mayweather if he sticks to his jab.

G

Hey Shogun, I was about to put up a thread on Oscar, but you beat me to it. He looked good, used the jab, maintained excellent stamina against a good/competent fighter. That jab is going to be the key against Mayweather. If he kept up that jab and didn't tire against Mayweather in the last three rounds he would have clearly won. I still think that fight was a draw.

Oscar is one of my favorite fighters and only fights the best. I look forward to the rematch with Mayweather. Like his father stated, "My son(Floyd) needs a ass wimping." To me Oscar passes the "eye test."
smiley36.gif
Congrats to Oscar and bring on 9/20!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I've never been able to be a fan of Oscar's, even before I became aware of the caste system. You're right though, he does seek out and fight the best in the game. The guy definitely wants to leave behind a legacy as one of the best ever, which I think he's already done.

Maybe I'm still just mad about the Sturm fight.
smiley36.gif

G

Speaking of Sturm, I waiting for this guy to step and beat a notable American fighter. Sturm has got to make a move to better establish himself. Look at Abraham, he is taking on dangerous slugger Miranda to make a statement by beating him for the second time. If he does it sets up a mega fight with our beloved Pavlik.

I am tired of Sturm fighting blown up welterweights and "never will be's" like his last opponent. If he doesn't he will miss out on the great fights at middleweight coming as well as the money commanded.

Regarding Oscar, your right he has estblished his greatest, but is amazing about him is he wants to captilize on his time and talent. Sturm should take a lesson, or maybe Sturm is hiding something?

white is right

Hall of Famer
It looked like Oscar was sparring with his kid brother. Really it was fight for him to make money and get his muscles tuned up for the September fight. He looked decent but that won't be enough to beat Floyd in the rematch.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kukulcan said:
Speaking of Sturm, I waiting for this guy to step and beat a notable American fighter.

Sturm started as a welterweight himself, and doesn't usually fight "blown-up welterweights". That's something Bernard Hopkins used to do in his title defenses!

Sturm clearly defeated a "notable American fighter" in Las Vegas, namely Oscar De La Hoya, but was robbed by the judges in one of the most notoriously bad decisions of all time.

Watch it yourself:

DLH vs. Sturm

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

G

JD1986 your right Sturm should have gotten the nod that night against Oscar, but he didn't dominate a "blown up welterweight" which Oscar is. Oscar had no business fighting as middleweight. People forget that he turned pro as a junior lightweight at 130 lbs!

I should have been more specific, Sturm should step up his competion NOW! I want to see him beat a notable middleweight NOW! Not another fight with Castellijo, was beaten and almost KO'd by the "blown up welterweight" that is Oscar DelaHoya.

I sense a Anti-Oscar vibe on this thread and I don't understand why. How many fighters take on the elite fighters on their era and really only lost to three, Sturm, Hopkins and Mosely in their first fight.
And just so that there is no confusion, Sturm did get robbed that night, Oscar even admits it.

How many fighters are able to command the dollars he can and use his charisma and intelligence to excell in the business world. One thing, I am looking forward to the rematch with Mayweather and hopes he can win.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I like De La Hoya and will certainly be cheering for him v. Mayweather.