Dan Goossen passes

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
One of the few white Christian boxing promoters, Dan Goossen, has died of liver cancer.

Goossen worked hard for Andre Ward, getting him home advantage for all his Super Six fights. Ward was unappreciative and sued Goossen multiple times. I wonder of the stress of the court cases worsened Goossen's health problems.

BytZXayIYAAPoXW.jpg

white is right

Hall of Famer
One of the few white Christian boxing promoters, Dan Goossen, has died of liver cancer.

Goossen worked hard for Andre Ward, getting him home advantage for all his Super Six fights. Ward was unappreciative and sued Goossen multiple times. I wonder of the stress of the court cases worsened Goossen's health problems.

BytZXayIYAAPoXW.jpg
He also had to deal with mental case James Toney and hard drinking Cristobal Arreola,plus his first star was Michael Nunn who basically did what Ward has tried to do in this era. You can't count how many sleeping pills and tranquilizers he took dealing with these problems . I also think he had a bad business split with his brothers when they had Ten Goose promotions and led to the formation of Goosen-Tudor. Anyway RIP.

Ps Ed Darion died this weekend, He was a notable ring announcer who introduced many big Philadelphia and AC fights in the 80's through the early 2000's.

Westside

Hall of Famer
RIP Mr. Goossen. I wonder if he was a hard drinker? His brother Joe, is an excellent trainer. He had a gym in the area I used to work.

RIP to Dan Goossen. I was not aware that he was Christian, and assumed he was Jewish. It's nice to see there are still some Christian promoters around though! I'm much more familiar with his brother, Joe Goossen. Joe worked the corner in the legendary Corrales-Castillo fight and I also recall Joe working Edison Miranda's corner when he was KO'd in Montreal by Lucian Bute. That would have been in 2010. Havent seen Joe working much since then.

white is right

Hall of Famer
RIP to Dan Goossen. I was not aware that he was Christian, and assumed he was Jewish. It's nice to see there are still some Christian promoters around though! I'm much more familiar with his brother, Joe Goossen. Joe worked the corner in the legendary Corrales-Castillo fight and I also recall Joe working Edison Miranda's corner when he was KO'd in Montreal by Lucian Bute. That would have been in 2010. Havent seen Joe working much since then.
When Ten Goose was formed the brothers all had assigned jobs. Dan was the promoter and Joe was the trainer and some of the sisters worked in the office. They formed the business around Michael Nunn and signed a few other fighters. After about 3 or 4 years Nunn started letting the newspaper clippings get to his head and wanted to bolt the Goosens. Needless to say he soon lost his title belt to James Toney and his career went down hill. I think he reunited with Joe too late in his career when he was shot and never was truly an elite fighter again.

PS If you look at the Goosens closely they look Irish looking, their dad was a detective with the LAPD who was probably an old school Irishman and tought his sons basic boxing skills. Also one of the younger brothers who was about my age turned pro and fought about 10 bouts before he retired in the late 90's.