Craig Kukuk

GWTJ

Mentor
Just wanted to pay tribute to a true American white sports hero. At least to the people who know him.

Craig Kukuk was the 1st American ever to receive a black belt in BJJ. He grew up in California and was a wrestler in H.S. He started taking BJJ lessons from Rorion Gracie when Rorion was teaching out of his garage back in the 1980's.

In addition to the normal group lessons Craig also took private lessons from Rorion for six years. Craig was a brown belt for a long time because Rorion refused to give Craig a black belt. He told Craig he would have to go to Brazil to get it.

Craig did go to Brazil and took lessons from Royler Gracie. He finally earned his black belt although I do not know how long he had to train in Brazil to get it. I do know that he was not treated very well by the top instructors at the different Do-Jo's. Before he left Brazil he went to those same Do-Jo's and challenged and defeated the top instructors.

Craig's style was to get to your neck and choke you out. When he came back to America he set up shop in NY and NJ. He taught out of several locations and went into business with Renzo Gracie.

By the time I met him he was suffering from a bad back and did very little sparring. I did get the opportunity to work on some moves with him one time and let me tell you, it was scary. When he grabbed hold of me he broke my base in a second and I was like a rag doll. I went where he wanted me to go. I have trained with many talented guys but it was unbeleivable how much better Craig was than everyone else.

Craig's business venture with Renzo did not go very well and they dissolved their partnership many years ago. Craig is currently teaching in Idaho. I tip my cap to Craig for his dedication to earn a Black Belt in what was then a very closed circle.

dkr77

Guru
Eric Paulson is another pioneer of the sport. I don't believe his stuff is strictly BJJ though. Paulson is generally considered submission wrestling and has a lot of good leg submissions to round out your game.