Confederate History Month

j41181

Master
145 years of white guilt come bearing down again... and counting.
smiley21.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/293625

Confederate History Month fight: Obama rebukes Virginia governor</font>

The Christian Science Monitor
By Patrik Jonsson â€" Fri Apr 9, 4:30 pm ET

Atlanta â€" President Obama has waded again into America's uncomfortable race debate, this time taking on a persistent view of the Civil War: that slavery was not what primarily caused it.

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) invited an uproar after deciding to reinstate Confederate History Month without mentioning "slavery." That word had been included in previous Confederate heritage proclamations. (Governor McDonnell later apologized and added language that painted slavery as a cause of the war and as a "hateful" institution.)

"I don't think you can understand the Confederacy and the Civil War unless you understand slavery,'' said Mr. Obama, who sent a wreath, as presidents have done since Woodrow Wilson, to the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery last Memorial Day. (Moreover, first lady Michelle Obama is a descendant of Southern slaves.)

McDonnell's initial omission of slavery in his proclamation was "unacceptable," Obama said.

The president's statements, made to ABC News correspondent George Stephanopoulos, were an unusually harsh rebuke â€" reminiscent of his first comments on the controversial arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. last summer at his home in Cambridge, Mass.

Obama's entry into the debate about the Confederate legacy shows that the president, though careful, speaks his mind about race when he feels it's warranted. Indeed, says one expert on race in America, the subject of race becomes ripe for discussion after certain events.

"Race has been just beneath the surface of recent politics. So I think it's healthy to every once in a while get [someone like McDonnell] to set something up so it can be made explicit in a very safe context," says Thomas Pettigrew, a social psychologist at the University of California, Santa Cruz. "In other words, [race] is sort of the elephant in the room: No one wants to mention it, but every once in a while something comes along to make it possible to mention it."

But the damage has already been done, apparently: Blowback from Confederate History Month could affect McDonnell's national political aspirations, writes The Washington Post. And many black Americans took offense â€" not at the overall historical debate, but at McDonnell's original proclamation. As Mr. Pettigrew says, "The original statement by the governor sounded like, oh, what a terrible thing it was that the South lost and the implication that we couldn't still have slavery."

That's what Obama appeared to take away, too.

"It's just a reminder that when we talk about issues like slavery that are so fraught with pain and emotion, that, you know, we'd better do some thinking through how this is going to affect a lot of people," Obama said.

The presidential rebuke comes at an uneasy political time in America, only weeks after two black members of Congress accused 'tea party' protesters of launching a racial epithet on the Capitol steps. (Tea partyers deny the charge, saying there's no evidence from the well-documented event to suggest an epithet was used.)

To be sure, the rebuke could carry some political risks for Obama, especially among white independents in the South â€" some of whom helped him take Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida in the 2008 election. It probably doesn't help Obama that his cabinet is notably short on Southerners.

Then again, most of Virginia â€" and the South for that matter â€" probably disagreed with McDonnell's initial framing of Confederate History Month, says Pettigrew, himself a native Virginian. Virginia became the first state, in 2007, to apologize for the institution of slavery. Back in 1830, Virginia nearly became the first Southern state to abolish slavery â€" the law failing by only a handful of votes.

"The statement by the governor of Virginia was so extreme that this is a pretty easy shot for the president, and there's not much risk in it among the people who voted for him," says Pettigrew.Edited by: jaxvid

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Obongo couldn't resist the "opportunity" to spew the default cultural marxist dung. Heck, I'd (almost) vote for McDonnell for declaring CSA History Month (alone)!
smiley2.gif

jwhite96

Guru
"It's just a reminder that when we talk about issues like slavery that are so fraught with pain and emotion, that, you know, we'd better do some thinking through how this is going to affect a lot of people," Obama said.

What a drama queen!

The half wit Obama's ancestors never suffered from US slavery. His ancestors were probably more involved in the slave trade than whites. Africans captured the slaves and brought them directly to the slave ships. The Europeans who sailed the slave ships almost never left their ships. It's so obvious he hates all whites . Is he going to mention how Africans were more involved with the slave trade than whites? Don't hold your breath.Edited by: jwhite96

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
jwhite96 said:

What a drama queen!

The half wit Obama's ancestors never suffered from US slavery. His ancestors were probably more involved in the slave trade than whites. Africans captured the slaves and brought them directly to the slave ships. The Europeans who sailed the slave ships almost never left their ships. It's so obvious he hates all whites . Is he going to mention how Africans were more involved with the slave trade than whites? Don't hold your breath.

smiley32.gif
Well put, wouldn't it be nice if one mainstream media person brought that up? Just one?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I find the whole situation to be ridiculous. Confederate History Month was designed to study the separatist movement and how the Confederacy took shape. Of course, as a central theme to the Confederacy, slavery and slave ownership would be a necessary component to understand it. Why does that need to be stated first and foremost, when it's an obvious part of the history study? It's absurd to view history through the cultural-marxist lens, when a solid, fundamental, unbiased history lesson would answer all of the stupid, preening slavery questions. Sure, slavery was a bad thing, but there's no need to beat us over the head with it. It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the plight of the modern-day poor black ghetto-dweller who have made their choice to be what they are.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
I find the whole situation to be ridiculous.  Confederate History Month was designed to study the separatist movement and how the Confederacy took shape.  Of course, as a central theme to the Confederacy, slavery and slave ownership would be a necessary component to understand it.  Why does that need to be stated first and foremost, when it's an obvious part of the history study?  It's absurd to view history through the cultural-marxist lens, when a solid, fundamental, unbiased history lesson would answer all of the stupid, preening slavery questions.  Sure, slavery was a bad thing, but there's no need to beat us over the head with it.  It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the plight of the modern-day poor black ghetto-dweller who have made their choice to be what they are.

Another good reply.

Why can't the governor make this simple point instead of going into a reflexive apology and grovel mode. The apology and grovelling never bring any satisfaction so why not just make the above point. It's obvious!

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Why can't the governor make this simple point instead of going into a reflexive apology and grovel mode.

Because he's a typical White politician. He throws a bone to his constituents now and then when it may give him a boost in the polls. He enjoys the status, perks and gimmes associated with being a public servant. Ha! Talk about a misnomer.

As soon as he gets ANY heat from the true power brokers who would derail his luxury car on the gravy train ... he backpedals as fast as possible.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
jaxvid said:
Why can't the governor make this simple point instead of going into a reflexive apology and grovel mode.

Because he's a typical White politician. He throws a bone to his constituents now and then when it may give him a boost in the polls. He enjoys the status, perks and gimmes associated with being a public servant. Ha! Talk about a misnomer.

As soon as he gets ANY heat from the true power brokers who would derail his luxury car on the gravy train ... he backpedals as fast as possible.
It's still utter foolishness to do the reflexive apology and grovel thing, since you can't appease these leftists. They will just use the groveling as further leverage to discredit and ultimately oust the "offending party". It has never worked and never will. He would gain far more popularity and respect if he stood firm and made his point.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
Bart said:
jaxvid said:

<div></div>It's still utter foolishness to do the reflexive apology and grovel thing, since you can't appease these leftists. They will just use the groveling as further leverage to discredit and ultimately oust the "offending party". It has never worked and never will. He would gain far more popularity and respect if he stood firm and made his point.

Great points. I figured it was just a matter of time before the "guvnah" starting apologizing and looking like the spineless nothing that he is. Politics make me sick!

Could someone please fix the name of the thread? I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't mentioned it before me.

Having said all that, Happy Confederate History Month! I celebrated it today by helping to clean the old family cemetery that one of my Confederate ancestors is buried in, in this case my Great Great Grandfather.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Could someone please fix the name of the thread? I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't mentioned it before me.

I thought that was some kind of hillbilly spelling that you hicks preferred?
smiley2.gif

Tom Iron

Mentor
As I keep saying gentlemen, when the subject of slavery comes up always bring up the fact of blacks owning slaves in the ante-bellum south. It drives these bums who hate us and our country out of their minds.

Also, some good reading on the subject of slavery is the slave narratives of fdr's writers workshop during the 1930s. In order to give people a bit of work during the depression, people were hired to go around and interview former slaves to get their remembrances of slavery written down before they all died. Many of those remembrances are very positive towards masters. Not all, but a goodly portion. Some even went so far as to say they were better off as slaves. Many of them were still being semi-taken care of by the relatives of the dead masters. Very interesting reading.

Of course, you'll never see such books on display anywhere, but they're still around. As far as the computer goes, just google "slave narratives." Some of it comes up.

Tom Iron...

j41181

Master
jaxvid said:
Colonel_Reb said:

I thought that was some kind of hillbilly spelling that you hicks preferred?
smiley2.gif
Y'all made great points about the needless groveling and apologizing over something that is 145 years old and counting. No matter how much apologizing is done, blacks will NEVER (in any sort of manner) forgive the whites.

I find enlightening how NATIVE Africans aren't mentioned as accomplices in the African slave trading. There were only a few hundred Europeans stationed at the coasts of the African continent during the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries (the height of the slave trading). You can't fully believe Europeans did all the slave trading (masterminds maybe), but the Native Africans played a LARGER role in making it happen. Many of the slaves were often the victims and spoils of TRIBAL WARS, sold to the Europeans as slaves. Why should total blame on the slave trading fall on the Europeans, let alone millions of European immigrants who have NOTHING at all to do with the slave trading???

Slavery was going to END, well before 1900. Abraham Lincoln wanted to end it INSTANTLY to achieve his own political ambitions. The South revolted to maintain their CULTURAL way of life, with slavery NOT on the agenda. Slavery would've been GONE in the USA by the 1880-90's, had the Civil War never taken place.

BTW, what title, are you (jaxvid), and Col_Reb suggesting?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:

I corrected it. You misspelled 'confederate'. I know you southerners aren't so strict when it comes to spelling and sech so I was gwine jes let it be.

j41181

Master
jaxvid said:
j41181 said:

I corrected it. You misspelled 'confederate'. I know you southerners aren't so strict when it comes to spelling and sech so I was gwine jes let it be.
Actually, I checked the spelling carefully before posting. No worries, it's the correct spelling.
smiley20.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Col.Reb, I'm celebrating CSA month with my ol' pal Jim Beam this evening. FYI, my CSA veteran kin are buried up in Tennessee (where my Momma's family is from).

flag%20csa%20rebel%20skull.jpg

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Just once it would be nice to see some one do something like this and instead of apologizing stand up and say "hell yes these are my ancestors I am proud of them . this is who I am."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are a couple of interesting reads I found on James' Edwards blog. James celebrates Confederate History Month every April on his Political Cesspool radio show.

This first blog is of Pat Buchanan's latest column, discussing how hatred of the South is hatred of America.

"Incredible! <a href="http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/100408_new_intolerance.htm" target="_blank">This is
one of Pat Buchanan's greatest columns</a>"¦EVER. It's amazing how
refreshing it can be to read simple truth in such a wicked age. This is
one article every fan of The Political Cesspool must read as
we continue our coverage of Confederate History Month 2010. It
perfectly sums up my personal sentiments about why the war was fought.

Here is what Patrick had to say in his brand new (April 8, 2010)
defense of Dixie:
<blockquote>

"This was a recognition of American terrorists."Â

That is <a href="http://www.thepoliticalcesspool.org/video.php" target="_blank">CNN's
Roland Martin's</a> summary judgment of the 258,000 men and boys who
fell fighting for the Confederacy in a war that cost as many American
lives as World Wars I and II, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq combined.

Martin reflects the hysteria that seized Obamaville on hearing that
Gov. Bob McDonnell had declared Confederate History Month in the Old
Dominion. Virginia leads the nation in Civil War battlefields.

So loud was the howling that in 24 hours McDonnell had backpedaled
and issued an apology that he had not mentioned slavery.

Unfortunately, the governor missed a teaching momentâ€"at the outset of
the 150th anniversary of America's bloodiest war.

Slavery was indeed evil, but it existed in the Americas a century
before the oldest of our founding fathers was even born. Five of our
first seven presidents were slaveholders.

But Virginia did not secede in defense of slavery. Indeed, when
Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated, March 4, 1861, Virginia was still in
the Union. Only South Carolina, Georgia and the five Gulf states had
seceded and created the Confederate States of America.

At the firing on Fort Sumter, April 12-13, 1861, the first shots of
the Civil War, Virginia was still inside the Union. Indeed, there were
more slave states in the Union than in the Confederacy. But, on April
15, Lincoln issued a call for 75,000 volunteers from the state militias
to march south and crush the new Confederacy.

Two days later, April 17, Virginia seceded rather than
provide soldiers or militia to participate in a war on their brethren.
North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas followed Virginia out over the
same issue. They would not be a party to a war on their kinfolk.

Slavery was not the cause of this war. Secession wasâ€"that and
Lincoln's determination to drown the nation in blood if necessary to
make the Union whole again.

Nor did Lincoln ever deny it.

In his first inaugural, Lincoln sought to appease the states
that had seceded by endorsing a constitutional amendment to make slavery
permanent in the 15 states where it then existed. He even offered to
help the Southern states run down fugitive slaves.

In 1862, Lincoln wrote Horace Greeley that if he could restore the
Union without freeing one slave he would do it. The Emancipation
Proclamation of Jan. 1, 1863, freed only those slaves Lincoln had no
power to freeâ€"those still under Confederate rule. As for slaves in the
Union states of Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, they remained
the property of their owners.

As for "terrorists,"Â no army fought more honorably than Robert E.
Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Few deny that.

<a href="http://www.vho.org/GB/Journals/JHR/7/3/Dickson319-344.html" target="_blank">The
great terrorist in that war was William Tecumseh Sherman,</a> who
violated all the known rules of war by looting, burning and pillaging on
his infamous March to the Sea from Atlanta to Savannah. Sherman would
later be given command of the war against the Plains Indians and
advocate extermination of the Sioux.

"The only good Indian is a dead Indian"Â is attributed both to Sherman
and Gen. Phil Sheridan, who burned the Shenandoah and carried out
Sherman's ruthless policy against the Indians. Both have statues and
circles named for them in Washington, D.C.

If Martin thinks Sherman a hero, he might study what happened to the
slave women of Columbia, S.C., when "Uncle Billy's"Â boys in blue arrived
to burn the city.

What of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, at whose request McDonnell
issued his proclamation? What racist deeds have they perpetrated of
late?

They tend the graves of Confederate dead and place flags on Memorial
Day. They contributed to the restoration of the home of Jefferson Davis,
damaged by Hurricane Katrina. They publish the Confederate Veteran, a
magazine that relates stories of the ancestors they love to remember.
They join environmentalists in fighting to preserve Civil War
battlefields. They do re-enactments of Civil War battles with men and
boys whose ancestors fought for the Union. And they defend the monuments
to their ancestors and the flag under which they fought.

Why are they vilified?

Because they are Southern white Christian menâ€"none of whom
defends slavery, but all of whom are defiantly proud of the South, its
ancient faith and their forefathers who fell in the Lost Cause.

Undeniably, the Civil War ended in the abolition of slavery and
restoration of the Union. But the Southern states believed they had the
same right to rid themselves of a government to which they no longer
felt allegiance as did Washington, Jefferson and Madison, all
slave-owners, who could no longer give loyalty to the king of England.

Consider closely this latest skirmish in a culture war that may yet
make an end to any idea of nationhood, and you will see whence the real
hate is coming. It is not from Gov. McDonnell or the Sons of Confederate
Veterans.
</blockquote>

Thank you for this, Pat."

The second blog is about a letter written to a Confederate widow by the Comptroller of the State of Florida in 1933. My how things have changed!

"This entry will bring into sharp focus just how far we've fallen from
the 1930's.

Below you will find a bit of real-life history that you might like to
read. It is a letter from the Comptroller of the State of Florida that
accompanied the Confederate veteran's pension check to the great
grandmother of a listener of our radio program, who was by that time
(December 20, 1933) a widow. The language praising the ideals of The
Lost Cause are words that would never pass the lips of a politician
today. The difference in attitudes of public officials between then and
now is staggering.

A scanned image of <a href="http://www.confederatecolonel.com/about/about.shtml" target="_blank">the letter
can be found here.</a>

It reads:
<blockquote>

State of Florida

Comptroller's Office

Tallahassee

December 20th, 1933

Mrs. Sarah E. McGehee

Tampa, Florida

Dear Friend:

I consider it quite fortunate on my part in being selected as the
official charged with the responsibility of mailing you the enclosed
pension check. It is a rare privilege and a pleasure to forward you
this token of appreciation of the great State of Florida.

I sincerely wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a
surprisingly Happy New Year.

Personally I feel the debt of gratitude owing you by the commonwealth
of this state cannot be estimated in material wealth and therefore,
cannot be composed by mere payment of money. It is a liability that
cannot be expressed in dollars; but it can be enshrined in the sacred
archives of tradition; and by teaching the succeeding generations that
by your actions, experience and devotion to a sacred principle you have
proved that God does not force us into deep water to drown us, but to
cleanse us. And that adversity is the trial of principle without which
one hardly knows whether or not he is honest; unless, like those who
fought for the "Lost Cause,"Â he is sorely tried, smelted, polished and
glorified in the furnace of our tribulation. If we remain true to our
ideals and steadfast to our principles, as exemplified by those who
followed the "Stars and Bars,"Â we are reminded that honor is likened to
certain herbs and flowers; they send forth their most delightful odors
only after they have been crushed and broken.

Therefore we should, all of us, profit from the experience and
example of you brave souls who have conquered discouragement and despair
and have, Phoenix-like, risen from the dead ashes of destitution and
want to the heights of honor, peace and tranquility.

May that One, in whose honor we observe Christmas, comfort and keep
you.

Very Sincerely,

J.M. Lee

Comptroller
<blockquote>

<a href="http://www.confederatecolonel.com/about/about.shtml" target="_blank">Click
here</a> to read a scan of the original letter.

Many thanks to TPC listener Stephen McGehee for bringing this
stirring letter to our attention."</blockquote>
</blockquote>

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
More cultural marxist horse dung. KA needs to grow a pair & not bow down at the alter of political correctness like a bunch of chicken$#it "New Miss Conformists" (a nod to fellow Southerner Col.Reb).

Frat inspired by Robert E. Lee bans Rebel uniforms

AP

By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Writer Jay Reeves, Associated Press Writer â€" 1 hr 22 mins ago

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. â€" A college fraternity inspired by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee has banned members around the country from wearing Confederate uniforms to "Old South" parties and parades after years of complaints that the tradition was racially insensitive.

The Virginia-based Kappa Alpha Order issued new rules to chapters earlier this year saying members aren't allowed to wear Rebel uniforms to parties or during their parades, which are a staple on campuses across the South.

The decision, announced in an internal memo posted on the group's website, followed a flap last year at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, where a black sorority complained after a KA parade stopped in front of its house on campus. KA members were dressed in the gray uniforms of Confederate officers, and young women wore hoop skirts.

More than 70 alumnae of the sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha, sent a petition to Alabama President Robert Witt complaining about the use of Confederate flags and uniforms on campus.

In the memo to chapters, Kappa Alpha's national executive director, Larry Wiese, said such displays had to end.

"In today's climate, the Order can ill afford to offend our host institutions and fend off significant negative national press and remain effective at our core mission, which is to aid young men in becoming better community leaders and citizens," Wiese wrote.

The KA chapter at Alabama has canceled this year's Old South parade, which was set for this week. Still, a large Confederate national flag covers the front of its house on campus.

Other KA chapters quit donning Confederate uniforms or holding parades with Old South themes in recent years as criticism grew. The University of Georgia chapter canceled its parade in 2006 after complaints by residents of a black neighborhood. Instead, it switched to a Founder's Day parade, with members riding horses but ditching Confederate gear.

Auburn University's chapter ended its Old South parade in 1992 after black students confronted white students with Confederate flags.

Kappa Alphas at Centenary College in Shreveport, La., moved their Old South events off campus in 2002 after drawing protests from the Black Student Alliance and others over the Confederate garb.

On Thursday, the University of Alabama said the decision to call off the parade there was made by the fraternity in consultation with school administrators.

Thomas Wilson, KA's president at Alabama, said the fraternity supports "an inclusive campus environment, and as an organization we chose not to participate in an activity that we knew other members of the community found offensive."

"The members of the fraternity understand that when traditions hurt others, even unintentionally, it's time to change them," said dean of students Tim Hebson.

An alumna of the black sorority that complained about racial insensitivity at last year's parade said there are ways for the fraternity to acknowledge its Southern heritage beside dressing up like Confederate soldiers.

"The women of Alpha Kappa Alpha and other racially diverse groups on UA's campus trust that the men of Kappa Alpha will find ways to commemorate their founders in a spirited and significant manner that simultaneously recognizes the progress that we have made in race relations since the founding of Kappa Alpha and the rich diversity and inclusiveness of our progressive and positive campus," said Joyce Stallworth, now an associate education dean at Alabama.

Kappa Alpha was founded in 1865 at Washington & Lee University â€" a school partly named for the Confederate general, and the group calls Lee its "spiritual founder." It has about 130 chapters nationwide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100422/ap_on_re_us/us_old_south_fraternity_3

Edited by: DixieDestroyer