Clinton Portis defends Vick

Deus Vult

Mentor
I heard a sound bite today, of Clinton Portis defending Michael Vick. The black RB said that Vick's alleged involvment in dog-fighting is no big deal. He said that the NFL, the government, the media (and everyone else) should "mind dey own business."

Portis also said that he knows of a number of remote sites in his home state of Mississippi where one might on occassion find gatherings for the sport of dog fighing.

Methinks Portis' libertarian ("mind dey own business") stance is more than a little suspect. Would he say the same thing if a white country club rejected him and his posse?

His careless implied tolerance for the cruel practice of dog-fighting should insert in interesting wedge into the discussoion of attitudes of people of different races. Whites seem most eager to protect animals from abuse; nonwhites, especially blacks, seem least inclined to care about animal welfare.

We'll see who now comes to the aid of Clinton Portis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099&campaign =rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Redskins RB Portis: Vick can do what he wants
ESPN.com news services

While prosecutors and the league try to find out if Michael Vick was involved in a dog fighting ring at a Virginia house that he owned, one NFL player says it doesn't matter if he did take part.

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

When told that dog fighting is a felony, Portis replied, "It can't be too bad of a crime."

Investigators are still trying to determine if crimes were committed and if charges should be filed in the case. Authorities met to compare information on Monday.

"At this time, the investigation continues. We have no further comment," said a statement distributed to reporters after the nearly two-hour meeting said.

The meeting at the Surry County government office involved Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter, Sheriff Harold Brown, the county's animal control officer, two special agents from the Virginia State Police and an investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture also representing the U.S. Office of the Inspector General.

The case began April 25 when police conducting a drug investigation raided the house Vick owned in rural Surry County and found dozens of dogs. They also found items associated with dog fighting, including a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws.

No charges have been filed in the case, but Poindexter last week told The Associated Press as many as six to 10 people could be involved. Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia.

Vick is a registered dog breeder.

He has blamed relatives for taking advantage of his generosity and insisted he's rarely at the house -- even though he's the owner.

The Daily Press of Newport News has reported Vick has since sold the home.

Poindexter said the county seized some 60 dogs from the house. Several dogs had old scars, but mostly the dogs appeared to be well-cared for, he said.

Vick has said he let a cousin, Davon Boddie, live at the house, and that he didn't know a large kennel on the property could be involved in a criminal activity.

Vick, the former Virginia Tech quarterback, in recent weeks has been sternly warned against misbehavior by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, and summoned to New York to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Redskins offensive lineman Chris Samuels, who was promoting a Redskins fan event with Portis, doesn't want the public to rush to judgment.

"You can't accuse this man of something and go ahead and throw the book at him right now," he told WAVY-TV. "He's got to be convicted first, and I don't think that's fair."

The NFL has shown a willingness to see if animal abuse is a widespread problem in the league, but Portis doesn't think it's an issue.

"You want to hunt down Mike Vick over fighting some dogs?," Portis told the television station. "I think people should mind their own business."

Portis said that dog fighting is more common than people think.

"I know a lot of back roads that have the dog fighting if you want to go see it," he said.

Later in the day on Monday, Portis tried to back down from his comments, issuing a statement that was posted on the Redskins' Web site.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Deus Vult said:
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

When told that dog fighting is a felony, Portis replied, "It can't be too bad of a crime."

Right at this moment I can't seem to come up with a comment that would be acceptableunder the posted guidelines.
smiley7.gif

insert in interesting wedge into the discussoion of attitudes of people of different races. Whites seem most eager to protect animals from abuse; nonwhites, especially blacks, seem least inclined to care about animal welfare.

Come on now. There's no basis for that statement. First of all, if you're going to make that argument, you're already incorrect. The race that would seem to care most about animals and nature are the Native Americans, a "nonwhite" race, mind you. Also, where did you get the implication that whites are most inclined to protect animals and blacks are least inclined to? There's just absolutely no factual basis there. This is a sports forum, let's keep it that way.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Deus Vult said:
I heard a sound bite today, of Clinton Portis defending Michael Vick. The black RB said that Vick's alleged involvment in dog-fighting is no big deal. He said that the NFL, the government, the media (and everyone else) should "mind dey own business."

Portis also said that he knows of a number of remote sites in his home state of Mississippi where one might on occassion find gatherings for the sport of dog fighing.

Methinks Portis' libertarian ("mind dey own business") stance is more than a little suspect. Would he say the same thing if a white country club rejected him and his posse?

I heard the same sound bite and attribute it not to libertarianism but to a very dull mind. Portis can barely speak English; it was embarrassing to listen to him.

I'd really like to know the average IQ of those whose job it is to learn the NFL's "complicated offenses and defenses." Vick has to have a low IQ. Even a border-line moron should know better than to be involved in dog fighting given his position of starting quarterback and the absurd amount of media hype he receives along with it, not to mention all the other incidents he's been involved in.

KG2422

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I'd really like to know the average IQ of those whose job it is to learn the NFL's "complicated offenses and defenses."  Vick has to have a low IQ.  Even a border-line moron should know better than to be involved in dog fighting given his position of starting quarterback and the absurd amount of media hype he receives along with it, not to mention all the other incidents he's been involved in.

He's got a little bitty head to hold that little bitty brain.

Clinton Portis was with OL Chris Samuels when he was saying this...Chris Samuels was nodding his head in agreement with Portis & laughing about it....They both came across as extremely ignorant human beings....

Yeah, I wouldn't take any arguments of Portis seriously. It's like taking offense to a five year old's comments. Some of the athletes in the NFL really are just children in men's bodies. God knows how many of those players would be homeless, in jail,or dealing drugs and such were it not for the NFL. Instead, they're making millions. What a joke.
smiley36.gif

Also, the media has been susprisingly negative towards Vick as of late due to all his criminal activities. Nothing major, of course, but many sports shows are talking about the Falcons organization giving Vick the boot with his crimes and lack of stellar QB as the final straws. (Won't happen of course. Plus, they can't afford to with Schaubb gone now)

PitBull

Guru
Isn't it interesting that it took a mistreatment of animals charge to get the
MSM to vote thumbs down on Michael Vick? Not his drug use, not his
flipping off of the fans, not his poor performance, but pet abuse! The same
could be said of other black athlete's sexual assaults, gun charges, physical
assaults, burglaries, and other crimes ad nauseum. The MSM holds dogs in
higher regard than women! Don't tell Don Imus that, because he might
disagree! But we all know what his "crime" really was. The same thing
happened to Reggie White.

But pet abuse! Now that's the straw that broke the camel's back!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
whiteafflete15 said:
This is a sports forum, let's keep it that way.

You haven't spent a lot of time browsing the threads in Happy Hour, have you?

PitBull said:
But pet abuse! Now that's the straw that broke the camel's back!

Thats because liberals are in PETA and the SPCA. Why, liberals even own dogs, if only those handbag dogs.

bigunreal

Mentor
I started a thread about this over in the NFL section, before I'd seen this one. Sorry ahout that- feel free to delete mine if you like.

Don- I agree with you completely about the supposed "complex" nature of NFL playbooks. There is just no way that the Vicks and Portis's of the world could possibly retain any truly intricate information. I think that NFL playbooks must be much, much easier to understand than the media claims. Imagine Michael Irvin or Chad Johnson being able to understand how to run more than a handful of simple patterns. I think that the IQ of NFL players is one thing that will always remain secret, at least as long as the Caste System rules. I couldn't even harbor a guess as to how low some of these thugs' IQs might be, but their Wonderlic scores probably offer a clue. I would imagine a score under 10 on the Wonderlic would indicate an IQ no better than 80 or so.

Haha, actually no I haven't White Shogun. I wasn't even aware of Happy Hour until a few days ago. I'm a fairly recent member, and I usually only check the NFL and college football sections. And for the record, I posted that while it was still under the NFL section, not Happy Hour.

Deus Vult

Mentor
whiteafflete15 said:
There's no basis for that statement. First of all, if you're going to make that argument, you're already incorrect. The race that would seem to care most about animals and nature are the Native Americans, a "nonwhite" race, mind you. Also, where did you get the implication that whites are most inclined to protect animals and blacks are least inclined to? There's just absolutely no factual basis there...

Where did you get the impression that native Americans "seem to care most about animals and nature...?" This is a Hollywood and literary invention. For centuries, many tribes practiced slash and burn agriculture. They ran herds off cliffs.

It's easy to claim you are a conservationist when have not the technology to affect large numbers of animals. There are and have been greedy white hunters and trappers. But whites as a society put into place limits on hunting. What other people fight poaching? Not the black Africans. Whites run the game parks in Africa. Not the Chinese and other Asians who grind rhinoceros horns and tiger penises for fun.

Go to a meeting of the Sierra Club, the Audubon Society, or even Greenpeace or the SPCA. If not all-white, very few nonwhites present.

Whites are the foremost stewards of nature.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Deus Vult said:
Whites are the foremost stewards of nature.

Good post andabsolutely true! I was also thinking of responding, butwe've covered the subject thoroughly in the past.