Clay Buchholz

sunshine

Mentor
Since white speedsters are disappearing from MLB faster then you can say NFL the Red Sox have a speedster in their farm system. But in typical modern day sports wouldn't you know the guy is a pitcher. He runs a legitimate 4.32 40 yard dash and is a live wire athlete.
He is in Triple A now and just about ready. I have seen him pitch. He reeks athleticism. Too bad he isn't in National League where he could show off his wheels but this kid is the most exciting starter prospect since Justin Verlander and while I would prefer he played CF at this stage of the game we have to enjoy the crumbs left on the table.

nhl411

Guru
no hitter in his second start tonight
smiley32.gif

Realgeorge

Mentor
Even as a tortured Oriole fan, I was enthralled to see a German-American pitcher spin a no-no. He sure made short shrift of the Orioles many Mestizo hitters. The Orioles best White hitters, Roberts, Markakis, and Huff, got some good wood on a few, but Buchholz was "hitting his spots" perfectly, and not a single contact was in danger of being a hit.

Hooray for Buchholz!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Solomon Kane,

I'm for the White guys all the time, but I wonder what it is that makes White men better at throwing then blacks or browns. Interesting subject.

Tom Iron...

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Tom:

According to JD Cash--one white advantage is a superior spatial and depth perception. Add to this the on-average higher white IQ. Starting pitching has a lot more thought and pacing and strategy than being a closer. Closing is a one-inning affair when you can rely on heat to subdue the opposition at the end of a 3 hour game. That's why there are some great hispanic and black closers.

Pitching a no-hitter, a complete game, or even a 7 inning quality start, requires a patient disposition and a variety of pitches. It involves painting the corners, being more aware of each individual hitter, remembering the last at bat, etc. It also involves the ability to shake off a bad inning and get back on track. it would be interesting to see if there is another white advantage here.

Are black and hispanic pitchers too easily affected by the present moment and its difficulties? Do they panic and fold after giving up three runs in an inning? do they allow their emotions to make poor choices and prevent them from settling down? I don't know but it would make an interesting study for the sabremetricians. As would a study of what we talked of earlier--the tendency of black starting pitchers to burn out by the time they're 35.