Circuit City Firings

Bart

Hall of Famer
[url]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aw.z hHEzMpZU&refer=home[/url]

Circuit City to Fire 3,400, Rehire Cheaper Workers (Update4)
By Mark Clothier

March 28 (Bloomberg) -- Circuit City Stores Inc., the second-largest U.S. electronics retailer, will fire 3,400 of its highest-paid sales people and hire replacements willing to work for less.

The company, which reported its first loss in six quarters in December, is eliminating jobs that paid ``well above'' market rates. Those who were fired can apply for the lower-paying jobs, company spokesman Bill Cimino said today.

... Circuit City pays about $10 to $11 an hour, on average, Weinhart estimated. Entry level pay probably is close to $8 for inexperienced workers, he said.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'm suprised they're not sending the (American) jobs overseas. I'm sure they would if they could. They'll probably hire as many illegal invaders as they can squeeze in. The sellout of America continues!!!

www.jbs.orgEdited by: DixieDestroyer

Obviously if we fire our best people and bring in inferior replacements it will improve business.
smiley11.gif

I, for one, am excited.

We can get the excellent hispanic guy who cant speak english to help us with questions on the new surround sound system.

Or Shaniqua, who will ignore and be rude to you, knowing that if you talk to her boss about it that she will claim you are a racist (and knowing her boss can donothing about it) and that will be that. Shaniqua will be playing with the electronic devices instead of doing her job.

I would like to see what thier profits were last year. I can't imagine shaving $2-3 from 3,400 employees could even make them even a minor profit, and you know they aren't cutting minority workers due to thier "qoutas". Sickening.

Bart

Hall of Famer
InfamousOne said:
Or Shaniqua, who will ignore and be rude to you, knowing that if you talk to her boss about it that she will claim you are a racist (and knowing her boss can donothing about it) and that will be that. Shaniqua will be playing with the electronic devices instead of doing her job.

Ha ha.Good post.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I happened upon another Circuit City article. For all you altruistic white men who fight for the rights of women and minorities. Wake up! You are cutting your own throats.

[url]http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0329/BUSINESS01/703290361/1066[/url]

Without a collective-bargaining agreement to protect them, Circuit City, like any employer, is well within its rights to fire employees for virtually any reason, said Randolph McLaughlin, law professor at Pace Law School in White Plains.

In New York state, as with many other states, employees work "at-will," McLaughlin said. "So you can be discharged for a good reason, bad reason or no reason at all."

Exceptions include those employees who are part of a protected class, such as minorities, women or disabled employees, he said.

The phenomenon of firing workers who earn too much is going to become more commonplace as U.S. corporations balance budgets and reduce costs, McLaughlin said.

Yes, that confirms my suspicions. (see above post) Isn't the only category not listed as a "protected class" white males?

What really gets to me is that thier stocks rose 1.9% from this venture. Further proof that no one cares as long as they are leeching from the process.

It also makes comment on these firings being forced competition with other companies who are exporting overseas to cheaper labor.

We do have supporters though, who see through this garbage. A post from the bottom of that page:

So, what exactly is an "at will" employee?

I know they can be fired at anytime, but according to what I have read...they are only white males!!!

Because everyone else is a "protected group".

WTF is that!!!

When are white males going to have some protection?

I am not a biggit, racist, or sexist...but enough is enough!!!

Where is WET...White Entertainment Television?

Yeah, if that network was started...everyone involved would be sued the minute the first show aired. But, you can have Lifetime, Opera, BET, SiTV and WE...but still no WET.

Anyway, guess it is great to be able to get less small business loans, school grants, or anything else in society!!!

Good thing my son is half mexican and I hope my next kid is a girl. Otherwise he would be a white male and totally screwed from the time he take his first breath!!!

Did I mention my heart goes out to all those people who lost their jobs. It doesn't matter whether they are men, women, white, black, or etc.

Mainly because you look at the US today...cost of living keep going up, but yet minimum wage isn't going up AND Now companies can fire you and hire someone else for less.

Maybe we should all begin looking at moving to another country!!!

Maybe Canada, yeah...I said it...Canada. I assume the Govn't there doesn't let people get screwed like the US Gov't does.

We can spend billions on Bombs, but can't pay to improve the Levies in New Orleans!!!

WTF, I am speechless!!!

Posted by: parkerm77 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:12 pm

A post from the bottom of that page.
"Good thing my son is half mexican and I hope my next kid is a girl."

Yeah, good thing.
smiley11.gif

"Maybe we should all begin looking at moving to another country!!! Maybe Canada, yeah...I said it...Canada. I assume the Govn't there doesn't let people get screwed like the US Gov't does."

Yeah, let's go to Canada. I heard it's real conservative up there.

"We can spend billions on Bombs, but can't pay to improve the Levies in New Orleans!!!"

President Bush doesn't care about black people!!!

The person that wrote that post certainly is all over the place. All the more reason to try to educate our fellow whites before they have mixed race children and blame the government for the negro nightmare in New Orleans.

This is not the first time Circuit City has done this type of thing. A few years ago they fired the top 10% of their sales force because they were paying them too much. At that time these guys were working on commission. Needless to say this move did not help profits any at all but who ever said top level mangers live in the real world.