Checkpoints in Iraq? Try D.C.

Menelik

Mentor
Whenever I read an article like this I'm glad that I live in the country:

Police State?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Although we might think these are "needed protections" such practices are illegal as they are plain violations of the 4th Amendment. This should not be allowed to stand. So called "security checkpoints" are 40 miles inside the US in Arizona and are just as illegal. The police state is coming if we don't do something quick.

Menelik

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Although we might think these are "needed protections" such practices are illegal as they are plain violations of the 4th Amendment. This should not be allowed to stand. So called "security checkpoints" are 40 miles inside the US in Arizona and are just as illegal. The police state is coming if we don't do something quick.

I was arguing the same thing with my "jail house lawyer" brother-in-law and he brought up Carroll v. United States which states that searches of cars without a warrant don't violate the 4th amendment if police have probable cause. The D.C. police are probably arguing that their trying to stop crime in that horrible neighborhood is enough probable cause for them to stop cars of non-residents.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Probable cause doesn't equal stopping cars and asking questions of citizens who aren't breaking the law. How do you get probable cause then? You get probable cause when the officer observes a violation of the law in plain view. Thismay include some verysuspicious behavior, but suspicious behavior does not equal driving through a neighborhood, unless you are talking about an Orwellian Big Brother government. How do you know whether someone is a resident without stopping them and asking them? This is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment. Go tell your lawyer brother-in-law to educate himself a little further on what probable cause means. I'm telling you men, we better wake up soon. We welcome our rights being taken away in the name of "safety." Shameful! Edited by: Colonel_Reb