Chargers or Broncos?

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
So now that the only (relatively) white-friendly team left (the Patriots) didn't make the playoffs who can we cheer for?

The Broncos were looking like a team to cheer for when they let Hillis start at running back. But now that he is out for the season it seems like Denver and San Diego are similar from a caste perspective: 7 white starters with some white subs.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Actually, San Diego is better from a caste perspective. The Chargers start 8 whites and Hester sees a lot of time at FB. If LT gets hurt he could even move to TB in the playoffs. Also, they seem to have more white subs.

The Broncos only start 6 whiteys (would have been 7 if Hillis was still active). Denver uses Stokely quite a bit but thier D only has one white on the field at a time.

Plus, San Diego seems a better team.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Unfortunately, I think this loss has the opposite effect on the Broncos. I think it prompts them to clean house, under the impression that they don not have a competent runner in the organization. Hillis will move back to "receiving fullback
smiley21.gif
" and they'll go with Ryan Torrain, Selvin Young or a draft guy. I think Denver coaching just viewed Peyton as a fluke, a guy that...say it with me now..."overachieved" in a stopgap role.

I'd loooooove to be wrong...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think Hillis might have shown just enough for smart coaches to realize his talent. I had previously thought Jacob Hester was better than Hillis, but both of these guys are similarly skilled. Their short area burst, instincts for the cutback lane and brute power sets them apart.

I think both these guys are actually better than Brian Leonard. Leonard's vision as a runner doesn't impress me as much as Hillis and Hester and his power isn't as good. His short area burst and agility isn't any better either. He's just got better long range speed.

I really think Shanahan will give him a shot next year. He might be used like Brandon Jacobs of the Giants with either Selvin Young or Tatum Bell as the change of pace guy (ala Derek Ward). I think Hillis has enough of a resume to get at least a chance next year in training camp.

Taco

Guru
the moment hillis was out the broncos went downhill and now the team collapsed and is now out of the playoffs. Not starting/playing hillis next year would be the biggest waste of talent (white or black) by a coach in recent memory. I think he started in 4 games this season (correct me if im wrong) and in 3 of those he was the x factor for the broncos. Its undeniable because when they played the raiders he was not used to his potential, and as such the broncos were embarrassed.

foobar75

Master
Darn it, Shanahan is out at Denver, and he was actually the guy who seemeed very supportive of Hillis, and I truly believe he (Shanahan) would've given him a shot next year.

Now, it's all up in the air, depending on who comes in as the new HC.I just hope and pray it's not a black coach or Bill Cowher.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: foobar75

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah as Mark B said "Screw the NFL, just watch college football!". There are so many crappy black RBs given chance after chance and few black studs like Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner or Brian Westbrook that are really dominating.

Is it really too much to ask for one white RB who played brilliantly to be given a fair chance? Hillis really came on the last two games!
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

We got to hope and pray for no Bill Cowturd in Denver!