CF Player of the Week 9

Who was the best white player of the week 1?

• Wes Welker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Witten

• Matt Wilhelm

• Stuart Schweigert

• Joe Jurevicius

• Total voters

backrow

Hall of Famer
1. Wes Welker, WR Patriots: 5 catches for only 38 yards, but he made them when it mattered, including a short TD catch. Wes also had several great returns, including punt returns of 35 and 25 and kickoff return for 26

2. Jason Witten, TE Cowboys: only 3 catches but they went for 77 yards (including a crazy, no-helmet 53 yarder) and a TD

3. Matt Wilhelm, LB Chargers: game and career high 14 tackles

4. Stuart Schweigert, FS Raiders: 8 tackles and 1 interception

5. Joe Jurevicius, WR Browns: 4 catches for 69 yards, also caught a difficult two-point conversion that put Browns 3 points ahead

Winners so far:

Week 1: Matt Giordano, S Colts
Week 2: Barrett Ruud, LB Buccaneers
Week 3: Kevin Curtis, WR Eagles
Week 4: Dallas Clark, TE Colts
Week 5: Brian Leonard, RB Rams
Week 6: Kevin Walter, WR Texans
Week 7: Wes Welker, WR Patriots
Week 8: Mike Vrabel, LB Patriots

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dang back, this week's choice is a little tougher! I'll have to think about this one for a while.

whiteCB

Master
You know Wilhelm did have a ton of tackles but how many of those were down field? How many yards did Adrian Peterson run for? See this is why I must vote for Welker. Although his receiving stats are marginal, one of them was a tough TD grab. Also Welker was excellent in the return game and one could argue that those punt returns gave New England great field position for their scoring drives. That's why I'm goin with Welker.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i saw bits and pieces of Chargers game, and i thought, maybe not very objectively that Wilhelm was the only guy actually tackling there. the rest were just playing flag football. he did whiff a couple of tackles, but he made many plays, too.

it is a tough choice this week, i agree. i think i'll go with Witten or Schweigert.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Welker is the man, but I have to vote for the tough guy of the week. Witten's run after the hit and de-helmeting was huge to me. He'll break 1,000 easy barring injury and his run is a great example of what we need more of in the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wilhelm has only gotten healthy the past few weeks, and the resulting productivity is there to see. He's going to be another of the growingnumber of excellent white starting LBs in the league.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
This one wasn't much of a struggle for me, either. I agree with Col. Reb: The statement Witten made running down the field without a helmet spoke volumes, more than any touchdown or 100 yard game can do. Think about Witten's run and compare that to the black defensive backs who are afraid to even just tackle or hit somebody, let alone run down field pell-mell without a helmet!

backrow said:
i saw bits and pieces of Chargers game, and i thought, maybe not very objectively that Wilhelm was the only guy actually tackling there. the rest were just playing flag football. he did whiff a couple of tackles, but he made many plays, too.

it is a tough choice this week, i agree. i think i'll go with Witten or Schweigert.

Though I think Peterson is a remarkable running back, I got the distinct impression that the black Chargers defenders really didn't know how to handle an RB who actually wanted to stay in bounds and fight for every yard. A lot of Peterson's yardage is gained after some CB or safety tries to talk him into giving up or leaving the field.

Not a great week this time, but I'm going with Witten.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Matt Wilhelm it is, although i really think Jason Witten deserved it the most
smiley17.gif