Mentor
UGGGGH! This coverage is textbook caste speak. The use of the
word "athleticism" for black players is nauseating. Kellogg predicted
that Gonzaga and Duke would loose on Thurs. night. One of the
players is coming off suspension on the Duke team. Gumble stated
that Duke could use the "athleticism". I don't know who this player
is, but I'm willing to bet he's black.

The game announcers are also laying it on thick. I can't understand
how people can't be outraged by this coverage.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Henderson is theDuke playerthey spoke of, and yes he is black. I just heard them describe VCU's black first year caoch as a "class guy." It never ends.

nhl411

Guru
honestly, ive found that the actual in game announcers in the tourney have so far been fair. mcroberts AND pocius wer e both being talked about as great athletes during the duke game for example.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Usually, even when these Caste System announcers allude to a white player as a "good athlete" or "athletic", etc. they say it as if it's the player is a rarity!

C Darwin

Mentor
The announcers for the UNC / MSU game are impressed with Tyler
Hansbrough's "work" under the basket. We will see if they describe
him as athletic or talented.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the UNC-MSU game off and on and Hansbrough was absolutely dominant. Every time he scored or drove to the basket, Dick Enberg's sidekick (didn'tcatch his name) described Hansbrough as "hard working." A few times it was "tough" or "courageous," but usually "hard working."Maybe "hard working" is replacing "overachiever" as the Caste System's favorite adjective to describe great white athletes.

nhl411

Guru
i really dont understand how people can say with a straight facethat hansbrough isn't athletic: he is CLEARLY very fast running the court and i have seen a video of him dunkin from a step inside the freethrow line so clearly he can jump too

guest301

Hall of Famer
I certainly think tenacious and aggressive are words that would fit for Hansbrough(of course athletic) but "hard working" is a adjective that should apply to every athlete.. It doesn't of course, and that's why it's so easy to spot in a player like Hansbrough. He dominated the game last night and although I was pulling for Michigan State, I was still happy too see the Tar Heels advance. What happened to point guard Bobby Frasor, why is he riding the bench now for the Tar Heels?