Caste System Poster Boys

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It's really pretty sickening when you surf the Yahoo sports page and still see names like wide receiver David Patten, an over the hill player that has never been that good to begin with, on the Saints as a second teamer.

The Saints other backups are the undrafted Terrance Copper and a 5'9 undrafted player named Lance Moore. I could guarantee you that both these guys couldn't carry Mike Hass's jock strap. Certainly their college careers couldn't hold a candle to Hass. And even if these two are fast, a 5'9 guy certainly doesn't fit your WR prototype. Are they Special Teams Demons? I am certain there are white players who could fill that role admirably that are better wideouts.

...And how about Brian Clark an undrafted guy out of North Carolina State getting a roster spot over David Kircus a division two record breaker with blazing speed and good size? That one sounds pretty ridiculous to me

...And then there's guys like WR Keary Colbert who are still somehow good enough to start after doing nothing.

...And how about Cleveland WR Tim Carter: He was drafted in '02 and spent almost his "entire first three seasons" injured in NY and has never caught more than 26 passes in a season and has 3 career TDs. How is he still even in the league let alone a number three wide receiver?

...And how about the little 5-10 Marques Hagans of the Rams? The dude runs a 4.62 40 yard and was a college QB, but somehow finds his way onto a roster as a WR. He was drafted in the 5th round of the 2006 draft ahead of Mike Hass. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but I guess he has that game speed or something.

Here's what I propose; each person on our message board give their "Weekly Caste Poster Boy of the NFL." And then name a white player that is more qualified for the role that that person fills. Listing their college statistics and their athletic measurables would help the argument. Unfortunately for us, most of our statistical arguments stop at college b/c these caste victims usually don't get out on an NFL field and certainly not under favorable circumstances.
smiley11.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Yeah i've seen Hagans plays and he is good, but I see your point..the fact he was drafted higher than Hass is ridiculous..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about this today when I read that the Redskins signed Reche Caldwell -- a journeyman/retread who has hands of stone and very little to offer as a receiver -- because they were worried about the poor performance in the first game of Brandon Lloyd -- a journeyman/retread who has very little to offer as receiver and who has a terrible attitude to boot. One lousy receiver who shouldn't be in the league possibly taking over for his identical twin.

And John Standeford's spot on the Colts was taken by someone named Roy Hall. Here's the description of Hall's simply sterling collegiate career at Ohio State:
Four year letterwinner who started seven of 48 career games at WR...was 52-580, 3 TDs receiving for career...played in 11 games as a senior...was 13-147, two TDs...was 4-50 against Bowling Green...was 3-38, one TD against Michigan...started two of 12 games as junior...was 16-134...started five of 12 games as sophomore and was 17-230, 1 TD...was 2-54, with career-long 50-yard reception at Northwestern...appeared in all 13 games as freshman...was 6-69...was redshirted in 2003...majored in marketing.
Started just seven games out of 48 and had 52 receptions total for four years, and he takes the place of the Big Ten's all-time receiving leader who played just fine during his several-year "apprenticeship" with the Colts.
The poor play of black quarterbacks is a lot more easily seen by the fans than the poor play of receivers and defensive players in general because it's almost always black going against black. But the NFL is filled with lousy receivers and lousy players at all other positions.

I agree with that Tough J. I had something similar with the Kenny Irons effect for white college RB's but this will be even better.

Given Dante Hall is a good kick returner but he should not be in front of Drew Bennett when he comes back from injury. I could even make a arguement for Dane Looker being the 4th receiver.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I was thinking about this today when I read that the Redskins signed Reche Caldwell -- a journeyman/retread who has hands of stone and very little to offer as a receiver -- because they were worried about the poor performance in the first game of Brandon Lloyd -- a journeyman/retread who has very little to offer as receiver and who has a terrible attitude to boot.  One lousy receiver who shouldn't be in the league possibly taking over for his identical twin. 

And John Standeford's spot on the Colts was taken by someone named Roy Hall.  Here's the description of Hall's simply sterling collegiate career at Ohio State:
<P =standard>Four year letterwinner who started seven of 48 career games at WR...was 52-580, 3 TDs receiving for career...played in 11 games as a senior...was 13-147, two TDs...was 4-50 against Bowling Green...was 3-38, one TD against Michigan...started two of 12 games as junior...was 16-134...started five of 12 games as sophomore and was 17-230, 1 TD...was 2-54, with career-long 50-yard reception at Northwestern...appeared in all 13 games as freshman...was 6-69...was redshirted in 2003...majored in marketing.
<P =standard>Started just seven games out of 48 and had 52 receptions total for four years, and he takes the place of the Big Ten's all-time receiving leader who played just fine during his several-year "apprenticeship" with the Colts. 
<P =standard>The poor play of black quarterbacks is a lot more easily seen by the fans than the poor play of receivers and defensive players in general because it's almost always black going against black.  But the NFL is filled with lousy receivers and lousy players at all other positions. 
We need a ''McGuffie'' receiver, video of crazy catches and go to a big University..Because, even if its not the fault of Matt Jones, that make white receiver look bad(because of Garrard)Who is gonna draft a white receiver now in round 1?(Gonzo is an exception)..

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Certainly, I agree that Standeford should be the number 4 on the Colts and even a number 2 on many teams (I did some scouting on him)...Roy Hall and Aaron Moorehead are certainly not better than John.

To me though, the worst caste situation in the league is still Dennis Northcutt starting in Jacksonville. He has a whole 11 TDs in his first "7 years" in the league and has never had more than 806 yards in a season. His yards per catch for his career is a paltry 12.5, his career yardage for his 7 year career is 3,495.

Here's what "Pro Football Weekly" Scouting Magazine has to say about Northcutt...."Free Agent addition Dennis Northcutt is on the downside of his career and his playmaking skills are beginning to deteriorate."

Matt Jones despite all the "flack" he took was Jacksonville's leading receiver last year and he only played in 13 and a quarter games and was fighting nagging injuries all year. He dropped two balls last year. Compare that to star Terrell Owens who according to the same magazine by some counts dropped as many as 20 last year.

Jones had 41 catches for 643 yards and 4 TD's. Northcutt "on the downside" of his career had 22-228 and no TDs. Matt Jones also showed flashes of big play potential and had a 49 yard catch last year and averaged 15.7 per catch. In essentially 1.8 years worth of games in the league he has 9 TDs.

To top that off Matt Jones was a college QB and is trying to learn a new position. Any idiot could tell you he needs to play to improve. He has had to deal with poorly thrown balls galore. He has also had to deal with the constant switching of QB's due to injuries and injuries of his own which would affect any players development.

So to sum it up Jacksonville is replacing a young WR with the best combination of size and speed "in the history of the NFL" who was the teams leading receiver last year (while dealing with injury, the switching of QB's and a switch of position) for a guy who is 7 inches shorter and had 22 catches for 228 yards and no TDs last year "on the downside of his career, who's "skills are beginning to deteriorate. Actually, he may not have had many skills to begin with with those numbers!

To top that off here's a little peace of information that I have read more than once: It is general consensus among scouts that it takes 3 years to evaluate whether a draft pick is a bust, and that is for players that are not switching positions. SO Matt Jones isn't even close to reaching that point with 1.8 seasons worth of games...And people call us racists for pointing this kind of stuff out.
smiley11.gif

PS Jacksonville's other starting receiver Ernest Wilford is the slowest starting WR in the league ( he ran a 4.76 at the Combine) Many Scouts had him projected as a "tight end" before he was drafted. So, I nominate Dennis Northcutt for my "Caste System Poster Boy" of the week and nominate the Jacksonville Jaguars as my "Caste Team" of the week..scratch that year.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins