Caleb Withrow

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i didn't see this guy listed anywhere on the site, and i was wondering if anyone knows where he's headed to play his college ball ... if anywhere.

Caleb Withrow

last year as a senior wide receiver, he had 27 catches for 847 yards and 13 touchdowns. that's a whopping 31.2 yards-per-catch average and a touchdown every other reception! he also had 8 carries for 165 yards and 3 touchdowns. that's over 20 yards-per and the same ratio of almost 1 touchdown for every two touches. WOW!
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif
this guy is an obvious big play waiting to happen.

and it's possible that he was even better on defense.
smiley2.gif

hewas named 1st-team All-State as both a wide receiver and as a defensive back. additionally, he helped lead his Dallas Christianteam to a Texas State Championship and is apparently one of the top 400-meter runners in Texas.

Dallas Christian has experienced a lot of athletic success over the years. The football team has captured eight state championships, the latest of which came last season. The baseball team has been one of the best programs in the area and the girls track and field team won a title as recently as 2006.

And after last weekend, the Chargers can add another trophy to the case, as the boys track and field team captured its first championship on the 51-year history of the school ...

He then teamed with Blake Rudd, Caleb Withrow and Brandon Durham to set another meet record in the 400 relay with a mark of 42.68 seconds.

The biggest lift, however, came in the 400 meters, where Withrow, who entered the event with the eighth-best qualifying time, was able to win the event in a close finish by just six-hundreths of a second.

"I've been coaching Caleb for six years and he never ceases to amaze me,"Â￾ said Gafford of Withrow, who was a key part of the state championship football team. "I told him before the race that he needed to finish at least fourth. After he had won the race, he told me that there is no way he was going to finish fourth with the state championship on the line ...

Dallas Christian now has another banner to fly, although there is some questions on where to fly it. The Chargers do not have a track at the school to train at, meaning that they often have to venture off-campus to work out.

That makes the achievement of the state championship all the more impressive ...

here's a link to his state championship run in the 400. he won from the outside lane, which is said to be the most difficult according to track people who know more than me. this is his 4x100 team winning the state title. damn, there are some fast white kids in Texas!
smiley4.gif

and here's a link to his highlight video.

so why isn't he on a scholarship at a big time school somewhere?Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
nice find, celticdb. i hope he tears it up at Abilene Christian, but seriously. you'd think a guy with this kind of playmaking ability (on both sides of the ball!) and obvious speed would get a shot to play at a higher profile program, though.

but on the bright side, at least he's playing somewhere ...

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks JC ive noticed a trend that if your white, a skill player but you also run track, i think you have a greater chance of getting some respect and notoriety. So many of the high school kids mentioned on here and two sport athletes in track and football. I will definintely try to influence my kids or to any white kid to get involved in track

D-Money

Caleb was recruited by Texas Tech, and he committed to Abilene Christian far before the Mike Leach crisis. He committed there (to ACU) because he wanted a religious enviroment to study in. Caleb is a very religious person and didn't think that Texas Tech could provide him a Godly place to be at. Talented as you may be, you need to do what makes you happy.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Abilene Christian provides Caleb a Godly atmosphere in which to mature as a Christian. Unfortunately, many "Christian" colleges aren't what they used to be and are little different than private secular colleges.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That is definitely true. I'd say schools like Georgetown (Allen Iverson, I mean come on!) and Notre Dame (gave a huge standing ovation to fervently pro-choice Obama) are Christian in name only.

One good thing though. Marist used to be considered a Catholic school, but I found out something from a Catholic television channel. After they had a pro-choice organization (Planned Parenthood?) come in to help them structure some health center MOs- the Catholic church immediately removed their support from the school and said "enough is enough" you are no longer "ordained" as a Catholic school.
smiley32.gif