By 2015, 75% of Population 2B Overweight?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Very interesting (& probably accurate) study and estimation below. I know I'm guilty of packing some "married with children" pounds myself. Although I have a big frame at 6'8, my weight gets too high (310-325) for my liking & optimal health. I'm working to cut back down to 265-250 by late fall.

I attribute America's obesity several factors...general lack of discipline, the increased "hectic pace" of life for the middle class (causing fallback to fast foods & vending machines), garbage/junk foods being pushed upon the populace & food too often being used as a release from the stress of life, etc. Just my two cents...what say you good folks?

By 2015, 75% of Adults Will Be Overweight; 41% Obese

Tue, 2007-07-10 08:13  BJS

The U.S. obesity prevalence increased from 13 percent to 32 percent between the 1960s and 2004, according to researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Center for Human Nutrition. The prevalence of obesity and overweight has increased at an average rate of 0.3-0.8 percentage points across different sociodemographic groups over the past three decades. Some minority and low socioeconomic status groupsâ€â€such as non-Hispanic black women and children, Mexican-American women and children, low socioeconomic status black men and white women and children, Native Americans and Pacific Islandersâ€â€are disproportionately affected. The meta-analysis was published online on May 17, 2007, in advance of the 2007 issue of the journal Epidemiologic Reviews.

"The obesity rate in the United States has increased at an alarming rate over the past three decades. We set out to estimate the average annual increase in prevalence as well as the variation between population groups to predict the future situation regarding obesity and overweight among U.S. adults and children," said Youfa Wang, MD, PhD, lead author of the study and an assistant professor in the Bloomberg School of Public Health's Department of International Health. "Obesity is a public health crisis. If the rate of obesity and overweight continues at this pace, by 2015, 75 percent of adults and nearly 24 percent of U.S. children and adolescents will be overweight or obese."

The study authors included 20 journal papers, reports and online data sets in their meta-analysis. In addition, data from four national surveysâ€â€NHANES, BRFSS, Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System and National Longitudinal Survey of Adolescent Healthâ€â€were included in order to examine the disparities in obesity. They defined adult overweight and obesity using body mass index cutoffs of 25 and 30, respectively. Children at risk for overweight and overweight were classified as being in the 85th and 95th percentiles of body mass index, respectively. The key findings include:

* 66% of U.S. adults were overweight or obese in 2003-2004.
* Women 20-34 years old had the fastest increase rate of obesity and overweight.
* 80% of black women aged 40 years or over are overweight; 50% are obese.
* Asians have a lower obesity prevalence when compared to other ethnic groups. However, Asians born in the United States are four times more likely to be obese than their foreign-born counterparts.
* Less educated people have a higher prevalence of obesity than their counterparts, with the exception of black women.
* States in the southeast have higher prevalence than states on the West Coast, the Midwest and the Northeast.
* 16% of children and adolescents are overweight and 34% are at risk of becoming overweight in 2003-2004.
* White children and adolescents had the lowest prevalence of overweight and being at risk of overweight compared with their black and Mexican counterparts.

"Our analysis showed patterns of obesity or overweight for various groups of Americans. All groups consistently increased in obesity or overweight prevalence, but the increase varied by group, making this public health issue complex. More research needs to be completed to look into the underlying causes," says May A. Beydoun, coauthor of the study and a postdoctoral fellow in the Bloomberg School of Public Health's Department of International Health. "Obesity is likely to continue to increase, and if nothing is done, it will soon become the leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

In a related study, the Johns Hopkins co-authors published a research article in the May 7, 2007, issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition that found people purchase foods based on their income level and perception of a food's health benefit and cost. Ethnicity, gender and environmental factors also impact people's food choices.

http://www.jhsph.edu

***Reference article...

[url]http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/2015-75-adults-will-be-overwe ight-41-obese-13666.html[/url]Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Menelik

Mentor
Good post. I'm 6'5" 230lbs. I also eat too much but I run/walk at least 4 miles daily. Drinking a lot of water also helps.

I am not surprised by those numbers. Seriously, what is up with black women and being fat? Especially the educated/noneducated part, lol.

Is there a correlation between the high amount of blacks in the southeast and the fact that they are more overweight in that area?

If blacks naturally have "lower bodyfat" and are "born athletes" then why do they have a higher obesity/overweight rating? And how is it that black women are so different from black men that they are the most obese group in the world?

It all stems from impuslivity folks.
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Since the article notes that 66% of adults are overweight or obese now, predicting 75% to be so 8 years from now is hardly a stretch. Fat- and sugar-filled crap ("fast food"), Jethro Bodine-sized portions served at restaurants and many homes, genetically modified Frankenfood, a sizeable portion of the population, young and old alike,whose only exerciseconsists ofgetting up from the couch to go to the refrigerator --it's hardly a suprise that so many Americans look like and have the mental acuity of cattle.Edited by: Don Wassall

I think a study like this needs to be kept in perspective. The doctors office Body Mass Index scale indicates that at 6'3" and 210, I have a BMI of 26% or something like that, which according to some chart, makes me overweight. I am fairly cut and take care of myself. Even my doctor laughs at the damn thing, but they are recording this to save their asses in a lawsuit. If I suddenly tipped over from a heart attack, my family wouldn't be able to sue the doc because "hey, we told him he was overweight." He kind of alluded to that when questioned on it.

Its lawyer driven folks.

But yeah, there are a lot of unhealthy people out there these days. Its the society we live in. You don't see too many overweight people in 3rd world countries that don't have the creature comforts we do. Edited by: Animalmuther0

white tornado

Mentor
Ive lots about 60 pounds over the last year by improving my diet.(removing junk food and soda)

white tornado

Mentor
Now im a lean 220

backrow

Hall of Famer
Animalmuther0 said:
I think a study like this needs to be kept in perspective. The doctors office Body Mass Index scale indicates that at 6'3" and 210, I have a BMI of 26% or something like that, which according to some chart, makes me overweight.

i hear you. i am just below 6'4 and weigh about 262 lbs. even though i no longer play pro sports i go to the gym 4 times a week and still play rugby for fun, got something like 10%-12% of body fat atm (which is actually pretty high, used to be lower) but according to these charts, i am obese...
smiley36.gif

One article I read used the BMI index. According the BMI, the following people are obese: Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, and Gov Arnold of California.