Brit refuses diversity training

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The Times October 05, 2006

And the gays went in two by two . . .
By Simon de Bruxelles
A councillor's joke about the sexual leanings of Noah's beasts has caused a storm

David Clutterbuck, 72, said that his remark was not intended to be offensive and denied claims that he was homophobic.

IT WAS supposed to be a joke, but colleagues in a politically correct town hall failed to see the funny side when a Tory councillor suggested that nowadays Noah would have been unable to insist on taking only animals of the opposite sex in his Ark.

David Clutterbuck, 72, is facing calls to be sent on "compulsory equality training" after his quip was added to a group e-mail about the bureaucratic obstacles Noah would have to overcome in the modern world. [snip]

Richard Smith, leader of Bournemouth Borough Council, said: "I think it is appropriate for Councillor Clutterbuck to recognise that he has caused offence to a minority group of people and he should apologise to them. I also think it would be a good idea for him to go on a course of equality training, although I don't think it should be compulsory."

But Mr Clutterbuck, who has been a councillor for 19 years, was unrepentant yesterday. He said that he had found the original e-mail amusing and merely replied in a similar tone.

"I was merely stating that another problem Noah would have come across today was having all animals of the same sex. The animals went two by two for obvious reasons, but to appease the equality people he would have had to have some gay animals on board.

"It wasn't aimed at homosexuals at all and it wasn't meant to be offensive. It was done as a joke and I haven't done anything wrong.

"I am not going to apologise or go for retraining, it is an absolute nonsense.

"This kind of political correctness is crazy and is completely and utterly beyond me.

Full article

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
is that the guy's real name? it sounds like a hobbit from Bag End.
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
is that the guy's real name? it sounds like a hobbit from Bag End.
smiley36.gif

I know, I thought the same thing? I'd swear there was a family of Clutterbucks mentioned in passing in the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, but the only thing I could find similar to 'Clutterbuck' was Meriadoc (Merry) Brandybuck.
smiley36.gif

Anyway, how appropriate though that an Old Fashioned True English gentleman is the one who is announcing the emperor has no clothes. I hope he stands by what he says and refuses to attend 'diversity training' for reprogramming.

Bronk

Mentor
Actually, the name struck me as well because I remember a neighbor of ours name Clatterbuck who once played football at the University of Houston, Bobby Clatterbuck.