Bodog

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There's a new sheriff in town: Bodog Fights.

We're watching the free broadcast of the recent Bodog PPV event right now. Two thumbs up all the way.
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

Good fights, great production, very few breaks between fights - and when they do break, they show some of the hottest Russian women you've ever seen - and the announcers aren't overwhelming the fights with their play by play. Plus they don't pan the crowd every five seconds looking for Hollywood or NBA stars in the stands.

Their next PPV event is on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The main event features Fedor Emilianenko vs Matt Lindland (that is not a typo.)

But they have an "MMA Fight Night" on Tuesday 2/20 and Saturday 2/24 on 'ION Television,' at 11 PM est. I haven't seen an MMA fight night broadcast yet, but will definitely be trying to catch the next two. Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
They're showing replays of earlier MMA Fight Nights right now (11 PM est) on Ion television.

jared

Mentor
It comes on again in 15 minutes, I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You're welcome.
smiley4.gif

The MMA Fight Night production wasn't of the same quality as the PPV. The fights take place in what appears to be a hotel ballroom. The camera work reminded me of the kickboxing you can watch on ESPN2 at 2 o'clock in the morning. But having said that, the fighters were evenly matched, the announcers did a great job of calling the fights without excessive hyperbole, even when the action was fast-paced, and the ref work was decent. Some of the commercials featured an occasional clip of Bodog bands, which I thought were pretty good, too.

Once you get used to the camera work, I'd say Bodog Fights is A+. Much better than Showtime's EliteXC, IMO.

jared

Mentor
I got hosed. Although on the channel guide it said the fight was gonna start again at 10 (az time), it ended up being an hour long sermon from some woman minister. Oh well, I will keep my eye out next time and I'll definitely catch the Fedor bout in April.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Did you see the fight between Antonio "Giant" Silva and Eric "Fatso" Pele? Silva was rocking Pele hard and literally chasing the running Pele around the ring. But Silva cornered Pele who then started throwing bombs and dropped Silva with two rights. Pele jumped on him and rained a few blows in g n' p and the ref stopped the fight. It looked a little early for a stoppage but Silva wasn't doing much either way, once he hit the canvas. What did you think of the stoppage?

In the Black Mamba / Damm bout, Damm threw the Mamba over the top rope when the Mamba kept cheating and holding on to the ropes to prevent the takedown. Later in the fight, Damm got the Mamba's back and the Mamba stood up with Damm riding him piggy back, before Damm cranked his head up and sank the RNC.

I really enjoyed the Yves Edwards / Mike Brown bout, too, with Brown winning by UD.

That guy Alvares looked incredibly tough and fast, knocking out Aaron Riley in the first round. Sharp, crisp punches straight down the pipe.

There were a lot of good fights. I watched the free PPV and all of the MMA Fight Night bouts that were on. I'm looking forward to their PPV in April.

Two thumbs up for the Russian girls in the commercials, too!
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Is ION television a new cable channel? I don't think I have it although I see advertisements for Bodog all the time.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I believe it's replacing the PAX network, although I'm not too sure. Last night was the first I heard of it, and I only found out because a relative phoned me to tell me the fights were on.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info...if it's replacing the Pax network,,then I probably have it. I will have to do some channel surfing.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've been watching those Bodog MMA fights this week on Ion TV as well. They've been pretty good. The one thing I don't like about Bodog MMA rules is no elbows. However, the announce team seemed pretty knowledgable. I don't think I'll drop any dough on the PPV, but I enjoy watching as much "free" MMA on TV as I can.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'll order the PPV just to watch Fedor v Lindland. The rest is just icing on the cake.
smiley4.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Huh...
I missed the good fights!

I just flipped back and forth, and the fights I saw, it looked like they were just throwing the most inexperienced members of the Red Devils against more seasoned opposition, guys with recors of like 1-0 or 2-0. Good experience for the Red Devil noobs, not the great America-Russia showdown thehy were making it out to be.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Well it looks like I have the ION channel after all. My Tv Guide says they will be repeating the Bodog fights at 11:00 pm (eastern) time tonight.