Black QB’s and white pass catchers

referendum

Mentor
I believe all starting Black QB's have at least one white pass catching eligible player on their team. Vick-Finneran (injured this year of course), Culpepper-Welker, Leftwich-Jones, Young-Bennet, Mcnabb-Schobel, Mcnair-Heap. Outside of Philadelphia all these white receivers are key players. Conspiracy theorists could think that a)the powers that be want to make sure good white receivers suffer from having a bad quarterback (and of course the best black quarterback, Mcnabb only has a white 2nd string tight end), or b) the powers that be want to help black QB's by giving them good pass catchers, who won't be disrupting the team either. Thus, Welker was a big help for Culpepper (I recall Culpepper saying some very positive things about Welker), in Culpeppers games this year, and Bennet played a key role in Young's only good performance this year, and Heap helps the short yardage pass plays that Mcnair loves. Food for thought.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a coincidence. (b) doesn't apply because Schobel is a non-entity as you mentioned, and of the others, Finneran, Bennett, Welker and Heap were all on the team before the black quarterback arrived. Only Jones arrived after the black QB. I really can't see the Dolphins deciding to sign Culpepper because Welker was there, especially when Welker was almost cut in training camp. Or the Titans drafting Young because of Bennett. Finneran has been demoted behind mediocre black WRs countless times. And white receivers switch teams frequently, having almost no value in the NFL.

Jurevicius, Furrey, Stokley, Curtis and Kircus and others play with white QBs, so I don't see any deliberate pattern, just unfortunate circumstances for Bennett and Jones (if he'd ever get healthy).

Kaptain

Master
It could be due to the coach letting a deserving white reciever start because he feels less white guilt with a black QB at the helm. In addition, the coach doesn't have to worry about a racial locker room revolt as any success the white reciever has will help the black QB. It's just a thought.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with Kaptain on this one to a certain extent, but I think most of it is coincidence.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I haven't ruled out any shenanigans in the Matt Jones drafting.