Banksters Gone Wild

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Only in a country owned and run by bankster-gangsters. This is several steps beyond obscene:

Credit Card's Newest Trick: 79.9 Percent Interest

It's no mistake. This credit card's interest rate is 79.9 percent.

The bloated APR is how First Premier Bank, a subprime credit card issuer, is skirting new regulations intended to curb abusive practices in the industry. It's a strategy other subprime card issuers could start adopting to get around the new rules.

Typically, the First Premier card comes with a minimum of $256 in fees in the first year for a credit line of $250. Starting in February, however, a new law will cap such fees at 25 percent of a card's credit line.

In a recent mailing for a preapproved card, First Premier lowers fees to just that limit -- $75 in the first year for a credit line of $300. But the new law doesn't set a cap on interest rates. Hence the 79.9 APR, up from the previous 9.9 percent.

"It's the highest on the market. It's the highest we've ever seen," said Anuj Shahani, an analyst with Synovate, a research firm that tracks credit card mailings.

The terms are eyebrow raising, but First Premier targets people with bad credit who likely can't get approved for cards elsewhere. It's a group that tends to lean heavily on credit too, meaning they'll likely incur the steep financing charges.

So for a $300 balance, a cardholder would pay about $20 a month in interest.

First Premier said the 79.9 APR offer is a test and that it's too early to tell whether it will be continued, according to an e-mailed statement. To comply with the new law, the bank said it will no longer offer the card that has $256 in first-year fees as of Feb. 21, 2010. However, customers will still be able to use their existing cards. The bank said "no final decisions" have been made regarding any rate changes for those cards.

First Premier noted that it needed to "price our product based on the risk associated with this market."

The bank declined to specify how many people were offered the 79.9 APR card.

According to First Premier's Web site, the credit cards are serviced by its sister organization Premier Bankcard. The company, based in Sioux Falls, S.D., says Premier Bankcard is the 10th largest issuer of MasterCard and Visa cards in the country, with more than 3.5 million customers.

In a mailing sent to prospective customers in October with the revamped terms, First Premier writes "...you might have less-than-perfect credit and we're OK with that." The letter notes that an online application or phone call is still required, but guarantees a 60-second status confirmation.

The letter also states there are no hidden fees that aren't disclosed in the attached form. That's where the 79.9 percent interest rate and $75 annual fee are listed. There's also $29 penalty if you pay late or go over your $300 credit limit.

Even if First Premier doesn't stick with the 79.9 APR, it will likely hike rates considerably from the current 9.9 percent to offset the lower fees, said Shahani of Synovate.

The revamped terms may not be the only changes; First Premier also appears to be moving away from the riskiest borrowers.

The bank typically mails offers to subprime households, meaning those with credit scores below 700. In the third quarter, however, 84 percent of its offers were sent to subprime households, down from 91 percent the same period last year, according to Synovate.

First Premier could be cleaning up its credit card portfolio since the new regulations will limit its ability to raise interest rates. That could mean First Premier won't issue cards as liberally to those with bad credit.

As harsh as First Premier's terms seem, that could be a blow to those who rely on the card, said Odysseas Papadimitriou, CEO of CardHub.com.

"Even when the cost of credit is astronomical, for people in true emergencies, it's much better than not having access to credit," said Papadimitriou.

Until Feb. 21, First Premier is still offering its even-higher-fee card online. So the price for credit the bank charges is at least $256 in first-year fees.
http://www.khou.com/news/Credit-cards-newest-trick-799-percent-interest----no-joke-79640987.html

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i hate being poor ... but this is little different than economic slave chainstargeting the poor.

i cut up my credit cards three years ago, and i've never felt better. despite struggling to make ends meet sometimes, i don't have to worry about payingall these fees and outrageous sums of money for the "privilege" of carrying a piece of plastic in my wallet.

i encourage my fellow CFers to purge themselves of the debt slavery, as well. buying things only when you have enough cash to pay forthem outright may be tough, but it saves money in the long run. and if our forefathers (who were all smart enough to abhor credit) could manage without the plastic, so can you.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I agree with JC. The only cards that I have in my wallet (besides a company card for work, that doesn't count) are debit cards. All of my credit cards met with mr. shredder. It can be tough, but I have enough bills without worrying about exorbitant credit fees and the dreaded monthly statements.

Bronk

Mentor
Jimmy Chiwood, you're right, debt is slavery, but most people in this country do not understand that. The convenience of credit in the hands of people who have no discipline in their lives is a dangerous beyond imagination. My grandfather's generation grew up with stories about the Snidely Whiplash bad guy who buys Little Nell's mortgage and forces her into white slavery to pay off the debt and thus had a fear of banking and debt. Few Americans really understand economics on either the micro or macro level these days to really know what the hell is happening to them.

My wife is a banker and she knows the credit card industry well. As a consumer, you can use credit cards to your advantage in paying off debt, but it requires a good credit history and an artful shifting of debt to take advantage of lower interest rates.

Still, this story does not surprise me.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Most people that run up huge debt on credit cards do it because they want to lead a lifestyle they can't afford. Ie the college student that wants to go on spring break to Vegas. Or the working class guy that has to have a big screen television. I'm not a fan of Michael Savage, but he generally spins pearls of wisdom with his wrestling act. One night he talked about credit and he said while growing up in the 50's in NYC his father stated something to the affect that if you could pay cash for a car you took the subway. I'm not even sure this severe downswing will get the sheep to learn these basic lessons.

Bronk

Mentor
White is right is right
smiley36.gif
the desire to live beyond means is strong. I have been hard up and down and out, and never want to go back to that so I tend to be very careful with money and credit. I also saw my parents struggle with money issues in the 1970s and it scared me straight.

Look at history and you will find depressions are caused by credit bubbles, the sudden expansion of credit in either particular markets or overall expansions of credit. When the bill comes due and there is nothing to pay it with *POP* and you're standing in a bread line. Edited by: Bronk

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Usury has been one of the best weapons of jewry for ages. Today the schemes are more advanced, but scoring the "big vig" is still the goal. Bank$ters are some of the biggest scourge facing mankind...empowered via the Rothschild spawned Central Banking Cartel.

j41181

Master
Fast-forward 20-30 years from now....practically all of the hardships and lessons will be forgotten again, and the nasty cycle begins anew.

1929....1970's....1987....2008....2030'/40's (possibly)

whiteCB

Master
Credit Cards allow people to buy sh*t they DON'T NEED with money they DON'T HAVE. Man does it crack me up.