Awe Inspiring Black Coaches

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is the lead-in to Len Pasquarelli's story on new Browns head coach Romeo Crennel: "It took Romeo Crennel 24 years in the NFL to land a head coaching job, but it took him almost no time to earn the unwavering respect of his new players in Cleveland, writes Len Pasquarelli."

Ever notice that all black managers, head coaches, etc., are always highly respected by players, fans and media alike? Can you think of an exception? Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy, Herman Edwards. Even in baseball, Lloyd McClendon is in his fifth year of managing a team that always is lousy and quits on him the second half of each season. But, somehow, he is always said to have the "respect" of his players. Dusty Baker, Frank Robinson, who would ever dare say that they aren't "respected" at all times by everyone? Lenny Wilkins, same thing.

Here's Trent Dilfer on his new boss man: "Let me tell you something," said Dilfer, who was one of several veterans acquired by general manager Phil Savage, because of what he'll bring to the team on the field as well as in the locker room. "If that man tells me to throw the ball into Row 17 of the stadium, you know where the ball is going? Right between Row 16 and Row 18, that's where. I'm not about to question him. I mean, the guy has five Super Bowl rings. Five of them. That's good enough for me."

It appearsthat the portrayal of blacks for the past 30 years in the media as nearly one hundred percent of police chiefs, drill sergeants and other always-noble authority figures has had its intended effect on the white population.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
This is the lead-in to Len Pasquarelli's story on new Browns head coach Romeo Crennel: "It took Romeo Crennel 24 years in the NFL to land a head coaching job, but it took him almost no time to earn the unwavering respect of his new players in Cleveland, writes Len Pasquarelli."

Shouldn't be too difficult to garner the respect of a largely black team. He's already earned their unwavering respect? How simple minded those players must be. Wouldn't it be prudent to observe how he comports himself over a period of time in adverse conditions before granting UNWAVERING respect? The press and players drooled over themselves when The genius Ray Rhodes, was named Head Coach of the Packers. He had to be one of the most incompetentbuffoons ever. As for Trent Dilfer's comment? What else would be expected?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
"If that man tells me to throw the ball into Row 17 of the stadium, you know where the ball is going? Right between Row 16 and Row 18, that's where.

This is the same Trent Dilfer who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even during the Raven's Super Bowl run??? If Trent throws at Row 17, he's likely to hit anywhere from Row 12 to Row 20!

As for black coaches, Dennis Green has produced perrenial also-rans for years. This makes him a successful head coach in the eyes of the media; yet if he were white he would be stuck with the label, 'can't win the big one.'

There is another sportwriter cliche I haveseen since the 60's. This one is calling a veteran black player, "The most respected player on the team." Ever notice how "the most respected player" om almost everyteamis invariably black?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I have never seen an awe inspiring black coach in any of the major 3 sports. To me, they just don't have what it takes.

White_Savage

Mentor
If one IS really good, how can you tell? The Media will praise them ALL to high heaven.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another good point, WS. They are all hyped up to being (Lombardi's Dark)!
smiley36.gif
The facts remain though, and the stats show they just can't get it done.

JD074

Master
The only time that I can think of a player disrespecting a black coach, off the top of my head, is Maurice Cheeks. Apparently Darius Miles said something naughty to him. There was actually some "controversy" about black NBA coaches not getting the support they deserved from ownership and their players last season. Basically an over-reaction because so many of them were getting fired.

Black coaches are "respected," for the most part, because they
invariably are "players' coaches," meaning they speak the same
language, listen to the same music, and (of course) share the same
ingrained sense of entitlement and arrogance.

I can't remember the guy's name (Bobby Hill, maybe?) but Michigan State
had a black head football coach several years ago who was wildly
popular with his players, mainly because he let the animals run the
zoo. Naturally, the team was in disarray and was a disorganized
mess on the field, but by God those "playas" was havin'
FUUUUUUUUUN!

Ditto for Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame -- I have to give credit to
the Golden Domers for running that affirmative action disaster out of
town. Interestingly, I keep hearing everyone talk about ND's
young talent (Brady Quinn, Tommy Zbikowski, etc.) having been "poorly
coached," but no one ever mentions Willingham's name in connection with
said poor coaching.

GWTJ

Mentor
Does anyone remember when Quinn Buckner coached at Dallas for a year? Buckner was on Bob Knight's 1977 undefeated team. Heplayed with bird on the Celtics. He had a great work ethic and never showboated. He found out that the new generation of black players don't think like him. After a 13-69 record he was fired. He had communication problems with his players all year long. I saw an ESPN interview with him when the rumors were circulating that he wasn't respected by the players. He said, "You know, some of these players don't understand that you might actually have to work at something to achieve success." Quite an honest quote from an old school guy. I believe Magic Johnson faced the same type of problem when he coached. Any info on that?

I just had to include this...

The former football coach at a black high school in Atlanta was
recently acquitted on charges that he asked 2 students to have sex in
front of him, in return for not turning them in to the administration
for their public display of affection behind the school. After
receiving the "not guilty" verdict, the good coach said he was unsure
about returning to the school. Why, you ask? Let's
let the coach explain in his own words: "Because if something like this
happens again, people might start to believe that it's true what they
said about me."

He's got my vote for NAACP Man of the Year! The dude is
basically planning for this to happen again and he wants to protect his