Austrian to Skydive from Nearly 23 Miles This Summer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Felix Baumgartner is adventurous and very courageous. He must also be quite wealthy or have some corporate backing of some kind, maybe Red Bull as his mission is called Red Bull Stratos. He plans to break the sound barrier in free fall during his record breaking jump, pretty amazing.

Record-Seeking Skydiver Makes 13-Mile Test Jump

Skydiving daredevil Felix Baumgartner is more than halfway toward his goal of setting a world record for the highest jump.

Baumgartner lifted off Thursday for a test jump from Roswell, N.M., aboard a 100-foot helium balloon. He rode inside a pressurized capsule to 71,581 feet — 13.6 miles — and then jumped. He parachuted to a safe landing, according to project spokeswoman Trish Medalen.

He's aiming for nearly 23 miles this summer. The record is 19.5 miles.

"The view is amazing, way better than I thought," Baumgartner said after the practice jump, in remarks provided by his representatives.

Thursday's rehearsal was a test of his capsule, full-pressure suit, parachutes and other systems. A mini Mission Control — fashioned after NASA's — monitored his flight.

Baumgartner reached speeds of up to 364.4 mph Thursday and was in free fall for three minutes and 43 seconds, before pulling his parachute cords, Medalen said. The entire jump lasted eight minutes and eight seconds. She stressed that the numbers are still unofficial.

full article: http://news.yahoo.com/record-seeking-skydiver-makes-13-mile-test-jump-233204849.html

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I was reading something about this last night as well, Don. The whole thing is incredible, and imo, the most incredible part is that the current record was set in 1960.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about that too, Col. Reb, I think it was in 1960 also that the deepest part of the ocean was first reached by a submersible, the Mariana Trench, which is almost 36,000 feet below sea level. Large parts of the oceans remained unexplored. The manned space program stopped with the last moon landing 40 years ago.

All the amazing technological advances since then but man has stopped exploring even as government spending has increased exponentially. We're told we can't afford it, even as trillions of dollars are thrown away on criminal wars of aggression abroad and welfare and a total surveillance state at home. Just another indication of how Western Christian civilization is being led toward extinction and is being replaced by an evil totalitarian system right out of horrific but prescient science fiction novels of the past.

Menelik

Mentor
One hell of a jump!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I saw that earlier too. That's pretty amazing. I always wondered how high one could go before being in "outer space".