ATL Mayor Election's "Black Agenda"

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Just imaging the MSM (manufactured) "uproar" if there was a memo circulating about a "White agenda"!
smiley7.gif

'Black agenda' memo stirs mayor race

By Ernie Suggs and Eric Stirgus
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Atlanta mayoral race went into overdrive Thursday when two of the leading candidates held dueling press conferences to talk about race.

Sen. Kasim Reed (D-Atlanta) and City Council President Lisa Borders were responding to a letter that has been circulating through the city calling for a black agenda. Specifically, the letter strongly implies that the city would be better off electing a black mayor. More specifically, the letter endorses Borders.

Reed urged the Borders campaign to denounce the email, which he called "divisive,"Â￾ and "racist."Â￾

Long-time Atlanta political insider and consultant Aaron Turpeau has been distributing the letter, but has denied actually writing it. He said the paper was produced by an ad hoc group of black Atlantans who have been meeting on and off since 1994 to promote a "black agenda."Â￾

"This campaign should be based on the merits of each candidate, not the color of someone's skin,"Â￾ Reed said at his news conference.

About an hour later, Borders did just that.

"I recognize the constitutional right of every citizen to express their concern,"Â￾ Borders said. "I reject the analysis offered by Aaron Turpeau. He is absolutely wrong. I oppose anyone, or any race, who would distract us from what is important today."Â￾

Mary Norwood, the only white candidate in the race, and a front-runner, would not comment on the letter. In fact, in an emailed response to the AJC, she mentioned her efforts to fight crime and fix Atlanta's finances and never mentioned race.

"She is focused on asking voters to judge her on the things she has done and what she wants to do,"Â￾ said Norwood's campaign manager Roman Levit. "Judge her on her ideas and abilities".

***Reference article...

Tom Iron

Mentor
jcolec02,

Yes, I'm sure atlanta is a lousy place, but it's not as bad as the city.

Tom Iron...