Am I the only one here who HATES MMA?

Lance Alworth

Mentor
That picture was of Motley Crue in their early days, for those who didn't know. They are my favorite band, and they personified what Rock N Rollers SHOULD look like in my opinion. (elaborate costumes, big hair, makeup, etc..) As most of you can probably tell, I'm a fan of the outrageous stuff which is why I'm too fond of the generic look of most of the UFC competetors. Now, I'm not saying that MMA fighters have to look like the above picture, obviously I was joking when I posted that but the lack of personality that the sport seems to exhuberate doesn't really do anything to win me over. In fact one of the points made on this very website is that we tend to cheer for those who resemble us in looks as well as culture. Well, being that most UFC fighters look NOTHING like me, nor do they resemble any other aspect of my personality, there is no reason for me to get behind any of them. As a long haired heavy metaller, I look more like the dudes in that picture I posted.

As for the question about Crosby and Ovechkin, they are both hockey players. The fact that most people don't even know who they are is a sad commentary on just how anti-white ESPN and the rest of the sports media really are. Crosby is even younger and more dominant at his sport than that little thug Lebron James is, but guess which one gets all the media hype, and guess the reason why

KG2422

Mentor
I was just joking too Lance.
smiley4.gif
I look more like the MMA types so I guess that's why I don't mind it so much. I remember when I got my first flattop haircut. It was because I got in a fight with this slug who pulled my hair from behind and banged my face into a brick wall. I didn't go down, but that was the last of my longer hair for a while.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lance, I knew you were joking, and believe it or not I recognized that pic as a photo of Motley Crue.
smiley4.gif

I don't look like that and never have, but did enjoy (and still do occasionally), old school heavy metal. I was a big fan of Crue, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, the Scorpions, Dio...

Even though you may not identify with the 'look' of some MMA fighters, you can't overlook the fact that many of it's stars are white. That in itself is enough to keep me interested, because I certainly identify with THAT look!
smiley36.gif

I have only watched hockey a few times and really enjoyed it when I did. But I know nothing about the rules, strategy, or anything. We've been talking about taking a more active interest in it at my house mainly because hockey stars are white, too. It bothers me personally that I did not recognize the names of the players you mentioned.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Lance, I knew you were joking, and believe it or not I recognized that as pic as a photo of Motley Crue.

So that was a pic of Motley Crue? Good grief! Were they wearing high-heels? How can someone look at them and not toss their cookies?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Haven't hair bands abondoned that **** drag look with all the make-up etc. Anybody still doing that?
smiley5.gif

I like the Charlie Daniels song Lance posted, I remember going out and buying the 8-track that it was on. (how's that for dating myself
smiley36.gif
) I saw Daniels in concert many years ago, I always liked his outlaw fiddlin'. I was recently disappointed at some of his revisionist views, he's a big anti-drug guy when back in the day he was a pot smoking doper. Just seems a bit hypocritical but I guess that's what age will do to you.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Bart said:
White Shogun said:
Lance, I knew you were joking, and believe it or not I recognized that as pic as a photo of Motley Crue.

So that was a pic of Motley Crue? Good grief! Were they wearing high-heels? How can someone look at them and not toss their cookies?

When I was about 18, I had the hair and the makeup. I didn't dress in those elaborate costumes, but I had the glam look down pat. Hey, I was 18 and was part of the glam/metal scene. I still would like to see bands dress like that. It just made the whole experience of seeing bands cooler. Nowadays they look like they got all of their clothes out of a goodwill donation dumpster

Hello Mr. Lance Alworth..

My good friend is 2-0 as a pro cage fighter...& so he is getting me into it & I fully plan on becoming a pro cage fighter myself...

U & I might have more in common than U realize & so if I start fighting maybe I can be U're first fighter to root for...

Here's some common denominators we both share just based on this post....

I hate the NBA also lol...U for the hip-hop thug attitude, me just because they don't hit each other...

I like 80's wrestling myself, grew up idolizing Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage...

I played hockey for nearly 10 years(Roller & Ice)...Torn achilles tendon & doctors ended my career....& I think Sidney Crosby is going to be the next Wayne Gretsky, watching him play these playoffs with a broken foot gives me all the respect in the world for the guy...I was more of a Link Gaetz type...LOL...

I don't drink myself(Occasional glass of red wine but no beer/hard liquor), stopped frequenting bars quite some time ago which means I haven't played pool in some time..

Motley Crue is awesome but when I plan on fighting I'm coming out to some Led Zepplin...

Favorite cartoon is Johnny Bravo....I actually have Yosemite Sam & Jessica Rabbit tattoes on my left arm...

I probably look the part of the dudes U don't like...I have a shaved head, light goatee outline & both arms are tattooed from top to bottom but think if we hung out we'd probably get along well...Had long hair but got tired of the summer sweating down the back of my neck & back...

Plan on training hard for the next few months & then turing pro...What type of personality is it that U'd like to see in a fighter?...I'm thinking I'm along the lines of a Jesse Ventura type LOL...

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Doc

You sound like a pretty cool guy. I too am into tattoos. I have close to a full sleeve on my right arm. I'm also into body piercing. I have my lip, tongue, nose, and belly button pierced. I have long, king of emo-ish hair, and no facial hair. I come from a family of Albanian immigrants, but I'm not all into that gangster thug crap that a lot of those refugees you see from Kosovo that wash up on the shores of New York.

As for wrestling, I was more of a fan of WCCW and the Von Erichs, but WWF was my second favorite promotion of that era. There is a part of me that would love to see Kerry Von Erich tear some MMA fighter limb from limb, but that could never happen now being that he killed himself 15 years ago

JD074

Master
jaxvid said:
Haven't hair bands abondoned that **** drag look with all the make-up etc. Anybody still doing that?
smiley5.gif

Not like Motley Crue, but I see quite a few guys with that black stuff around their eyes. The lead singer of Green Day comes to mind. And I think a lot of them wear girl's jeans. Not over the top flamboyant like in the 80's, fortunately.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
JD074 said:
jaxvid said:
smiley5.gif

Not like Motley Crue, but I see quite a few guys with that black stuff around their eyes. The lead singer of Green Day comes to mind. And I think a lot of them wear girl's jeans. Not over the top flamboyant like in the 80's, fortunately.

Those are emo f@gs

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
JD074 said:
jaxvid said:
smiley5.gif

Those are emo f@gs

You're kidding, right?

Lance Alworth

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Lance Alworth said:
JD074 said:
jaxvid said:
smiley5.gif

Those are emo f@gs

You're kidding, right?

???Edited by: Lance Alworth

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
I have long, king of emo-ish hair

Lance Alworth said:
Those are emo f@gs

I guess I'm just kinda confused about what makes an emo a ****, when the rockers are wearing long hair, makeup, and leather crotch.. thing-a-ma-jigs.
smiley25.gif

Lance Alworth

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Lance Alworth said:
I have long, king of emo-ish hair

Lance Alworth said:
Those are emo f@gs

I guess I'm just kinda confused about what makes an emo a ****, when the rockers are wearing long hair, makeup, and leather crotch.. thing-a-ma-jigs.
smiley25.gif

the glam metal bands had chicks galore. Emo people are emasculated wimps, and are in many cases homosexuals

nopictures

Guru
I love MMA, and I like boxing too...but sometimes I just wish it were more...

2542.jpg

f**kING EPIC!!

freedom1

Mentor
Females really like the uniforms and the play acting for some reason. I remember reading a Pete Townsend interview where he was talking about all the young women he scored with in the early days of The Who. He said they didn't know or care about the music, but they loved the show and the clothing. He said the group member would sew suits out of the Union Jack flag, wear them and the girls would just go crazy.

I remember one time when I was playing basketball in this church league. I came off the court embarrassed after playing a really sucky game, and this girl comes up to me and tells me what a great player I am and that I "have really cool shoes." I mean, they are operating on some completely different level.

paladin

Lance Alworth said:
Never have been able to get into MMA. Every guy has the same basic look(Shaved head, or crew cut, or at the outside, a mini-mohawk, gym shorts, and knuckle gloves), absolutely no personality, and don't give me any reason to care about why I should watch them beat the piss out of each other. The atheleticism is admirable, yeah, but when I can't tell one guy apart from the next, except maybe on the basis of race, I can't get into watching them fight. it is boring to me. You can think it's great if you want but as for me I just don't like it. They can't market thier guys because anyone of them will lose any night and usually will. I don't watch and couldn't care less. Maybe my animosity towards MMA stems from the fact that I'm an old school wrestling fan, I dont know

I agree on the TUF stereotype ...
how about the heroes of the sport tho - Barnett, Fedor, Sakuraba, Zentsov ... thats individuality, IQ, heart, respect

Bear Backer

Mentor
I used to not like MMA, but I have gotten into it since it has become more legit with the weight classes. I remember watching the UFC in some of the early days with the purposeful mismatches they had and kind of rolled my eyes at it. I seem to remember this one guy they billed as a ninja which made me laugh. It was hard for me to tell in the early days how much was a work and what was a shoot. It was definitely a spectacle back then which I wasn't into. Randy Couture was the one that got me really interested in MMA.

Zrazys

Bear Backer said:
I used to not like MMA, but I have gotten into it since it has become more legit with the weight classes. I remember watching the UFC in some of the early days with the purposeful mismatches they had and kind of rolled my eyes at it. I seem to remember this one guy they billed as a ninja which made me laugh. It was hard for me to tell in the early days how much was a work and what was a shoot. It was definitely a spectacle back then which I wasn't into. Randy Couture was the one that got me really interested in MMA.

It was real back then, just as it is now. The difference was that the fighters back then often (like the Ninja guy) little experience against a real fighter.
If we're talking about the same Ninja, he lost to Patrick Smith, who was a real kick boxer. If your art is primarily practiced through countless drills and, demonstrations and, you fight a fellow whose art is expressed in real fights, then the real fighter is going to win.
I also don't think they were getting the best fighters to fight, just men that could fit a stereotype, or look like a regular guy.