All-Time Favorite Super Bowl

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Ok, let's liven this forum up a little by everyone telling us which was their best Super Bowl memory or favorite game! I hope this hasn't already been done. I didn't see it.

My favorite Super Bowl would have to be SB XII. Led by Coach Tom Landry and QB Roger Staubach, the Cowboys defeated the Denver Broncos 27-10!

Many firsts in this SB. It had the first QB (Craig Morton) to lead 2 different teams to the SB. Ironically, Morton had led Dallas to a previous SB (X), where they lost 16-13 to the Baltimore Colts. Staubach was the other QB on that Dallas team. First SB to be broadcast in primetime.

Lots of reasons to cheer for either team. Dallas had of course Staubach, but also had white WR Golden Richards, who caught a TD pass, TE Jay Saldi and even had a white reserve RB in Stanford graduate Scott Laidlaw.

On defense, Dallas' Doomsday Defense featured many white players such as, Co-SB MVP DT Randy White, LB's Bob Breunig, and D.D. Lewis, DB's, Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters. That's right 2 starting white DB's in the SB!

Denver had their share of white players also, QB Morton and believe it or not, not 1 but 2 white RB's. Rob Lytle and FB Jon Keyworth. Lytle scored Denver's only TD. On defense they featured
LB Randy Gradishar and DE Lyle Alzado.

Great memories of my favorite Super Bowl. Would like to know yours. We've got plenty of time before the game starts!

I enjoyed Super Bowl XVI a lot. The Bengals were my favorite team as a kid, and Ken Anderson was my favorite player. It seemed remarkable that they were there, given how bad the team had been the previous few years. They featured an all white OL, except for Anthony Munoz, tight end Dan Ross, and receivers Cris Collinsworth and Steve Kreider (not a starter). Only 4 whites started on defense. The Niners were not quite as white-friendly. Today, it would look like the Eagles against the Patriots, basically.

It was just a really good game, with the 49ers jumping out the a big lead, the Bengals roaring back, only to be stopped at the goal line on a crucial drive. It was another good one when the same two franchises hooked up again 7 years later.

Super Bowl X (Cowboys vs. Steelers I) was also a great game. I didn't like either team, but it was great drama.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Since I became aware of the caste system it was the Steelers v. Packers in 2011. A true caste match won by our guys.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
All four of the Steelers' Super Bowl wins in the 1970s were great. I wasn't exactly a DWF but I didn't become aware of the Caste System until 1981 so I enjoyed the heck out of that dynasty. Those great Steelers teams were half-White when it came to starters, including a "snow patrol" at linebacker with Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Andy Russell, Mike Edwards at safety, and Rocky Bleier as one of the two running backs.

All four of the games were fairly close, which added to the excitement. Super Bowl XIII had the most memorable ending as the Steelers were ahead of the Cowboys 35-17 before going into "prevent" mode that Roger Staubach effortlessly picked apart. It ended up 35-31 and without Jackie Smith's infamous drop in the end zone Dallas might have prevailed.

I was attending Penn State when the Steelers won after the '78 and '79 seasons and thousands of us marched in joy all over the campus afterwards. (The second year the cops came out in force and weren't too pleased with us lol). The Pirates won the World Series in '79, and as Penn State was in large part comprised of students from metro Pittsburgh and metro Philadelphia, it was great fun rubbing it in on the hapless Philly fans with their Eastern Seaboard superiority complex.

The Hock

Master
A lot of good ones. One that stands out is the 1990 superbowl when the 49ers (back when they still used white players) romped over the Bengals. I watched it at a bar in Quincy CA. The beer was flowing freely, and at one point a local logger guy was on the verge of kicking some Frisco hippy transplant's treehugger ass (this was at the peak of the Spotted Owl silliness). It would have been a worse blow-out than the game.

I love watching one team stomp another. Blow-outs, routs, runaways, they are my football vice I suppose. Especially when it's my team doing the stomping. I don't like close games when I'm invested. They make me too nervous. The Niners were clicking that game and they just ran laughing circles around the Bengals.

Sadly, right now I could give a rat's ass about the Niners.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
All four of the Steelers' Super Bowl wins in the 1970s were great. I wasn't exactly a DWF but I didn't become aware of the Caste System until 1981 so I enjoyed the heck out of that dynasty. Those great Steelers teams were half-White when it came to starters, including a "snow patrol" at linebacker with Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Andy Russell, Mike Edwards at safety, and Rocky Bleier as one of the two running backs.

All four of the games were fairly close, which added to the excitement. Super Bowl XIII had the most memorable ending as the Steelers were ahead of the Cowboys 35-17 before going into "prevent" mode that Roger Staubach effortlessly picked apart. It ended up 35-31 and without Jackie Smith's infamous drop in the end zone Dallas might have prevailed.

I was attending Penn State when the Steelers won after the '78 and '79 seasons and thousands of us marched in joy all over the campus afterwards. (The second year the cops came out in force and weren't too pleased with us lol). The Pirates won the World Series in '79, and as Penn State was in large part comprised of students from metro Pittsburgh and metro Philadelphia, it was great fun rubbing it in on the hapless Philly fans with their Eastern Seaboard superiority complex.

Yeah Don, that SB XIII loss to the Steelers really hurt, especially since Staubach never seemed to beat Bradshaw and he always lets Dallas know about it. That drop by Jackie Smith really changed the Cowboys momentum.

Finally the Cowboys did get one on the Steelers in SB XXX, however the Cowboys were pretty much coal black by then. They did have Aikman, Daryl Johnston, Jay Novacek on offense and Chad Hennings, Bill Bates, and Scott Case on defense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Don, that SB XIII loss to the Steelers really hurt, especially since Staubach never seemed to beat Bradshaw and he always lets Dallas know about it. That drop by Jackie Smith really changed the Cowboys momentum.

Finally the Cowboys did get one on the Steelers in SB XXX, however the Cowboys were pretty much coal black by then. They did have Aikman, Daryl Johnston, Jay Novacek on offense and Chad Hennings, Bill Bates, and Scott Case on defense.

Sadly so were the Steelers. I took no enjoyment at all from their fifth and sixth Super Bowl wins. Bill Cowher, the endless Kordell Stewart experiment, coal black defenses, the Rooneys and their Rooney Rule, Mike Tomlin, mostly black o-lines, ugh, lots of bad memories and no good ones over the past 20 years.

dwid

Hall of Famer
The first one I really liked was Patriots vs Panthers, Vrabel main guy on defense for the Pats with 2 sacks that game, Dan Morgan main guy on d for the Panthers. Ricky Proehl had 4 catches for 71 yards and a td. Jake Delhomme was a local guy so I was rooting for them, not aware of the caste system and upset that the Saints let him go despite that he showed that he was better than Aaron Brooks when he got to start for the Saints, AND Mike McCarthy upset he had to dumb down the playbook for Brooks, next year he took the Panthers to the Superbowl. Jake Delhomme hooked up with Proehl to score late in the game but the kicker kicked it out of bounds putting it at the 40 for the Patriots. Brady converted a few first downs and Vineteri kicked a long field goal to win the game. It was close and exciting, and a fairly White Superbowl from some of the more recent ones since I believe both teams have majority White lines as well. 32-29, the score that tied them 29-29 was the td pass to Vrabel. I wonder if they would have played differently with the fg at the end if Carolina hadn't tried to convert it to 2 after 2 tds, so they would have been at 32-29 for that last drive, fg ties it.

Bucs vs Raiders was nice as well around that same time, I think a year or two before? Alstott scoring the first Superbowl in Bucs history. John Lynch. Bill Rominowski, but the game was never really close.

started reading this site in 2007, enjoyed the pats giants, Welker had 12 catches, like Manning because he was local and that escape was amazing. The Pats still had a chance to win, Brady threw a great pass to Moss way down the field, Moss with is 6'4 frame and long arms, doesn't even stick his arms over his head and the ball is knocked away by a 5'9 db, he should have went up there and snatched it. As much flack as Welker gets for that 360 drop, that Moss thing was much easier to catch and it would have made them the 2nd undefeated team behind the Dolphins.

I wasn't as much into watching football as I was into playing it when I was younger, whether it was backyard or organized. I remember during my youth we'd play backyard football while the game was actually on. I remember Sundays during the regular season my dad having to listen to the game just on the radio because the dome didn't sell out. The 90's were dark. I do enjoy older Superbowls now, ones I wasn't around when first aired or very young. Ive noticed that a lot of afc and nfc championship games, and sometimes just playoff games are more exciting than the actual Superbowl, and it seems no different today.

the one i remember most leading up to it was the Pats after 9/11. I guess a sign of things to come. I just remember living in New Orleans and having police and military on pretty much every corner, military vehicles driving around. Looked like a police state, wasn't just around the dome, it stretched for a good ways.

Last edited:

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
This has to be my all time least favorite Superbowl. No doubt about it.

Tannehill17

Mentor
Super Bowl VII for obvious reasons. Miami goes undefeated with a mostly white team. The defense dominates and safety Jake Scott is named MVP.

I started watching football in 2007, so between then and now Superbowl XLV Packers vs Steelers has been my favorite. There isn't a much more rewarding feeling when watching football than knowing the whitest team won it all. Also this year's Super Bowl is easily the worst.

PamelaOC

Banned
Being too young to remember the other good ones, I'll have to go with Super Bowl XLV as well. The league pretty much blackened up before I was born. I remember the coal-black Cowboys from when I was little. They're actually whiter today.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Superbowl 48
If you are a Seahawks (ka kaw!) fan, then sure, this one would be your favorite. I don't have a "favorite" team, as much as favorite players, so I usually look to which game was good in content. There are plenty of games that were good games, with close scores over the years, including last year's game. However, SB XLVIII was really a pathetically bad game. Congratulations to the Seahawks though, they actually came to play.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Damn Im trying to think of one, and just cant. The first I remember was the 49ers whooping Elway and them 55-10. Ive watched them all since then, and I guess Warner beating Mcnair by 1 yard was the one, I guess....

davidholly

Mentor
Super Bowl 38 is the greatest Super Bowl of all time in my opinion. Though it's mostly forgotten. Started out as a slow defensive battle and then exploded in the second half. Holds the read for the most points ever scored in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl.

Always felt bad for Jake Delhomme after that game, he had arguably the greatest performance of a QB in Super Bowl history and ultimately lost the game.