AK47 By Larry Kahaner

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I just picked up this book two days ago and I am already halfway done! Larry Kahaner(idk if he is Jewish or not) is the author and he does a good job of telling the interesting story of the AK47(Avtomat Kalashnikov '47 the year it came out). Kalashnikovborn a peasant came up with one of the most important and legendary weapons in history. It was developed to combat the superior German weapons in WW2 but the war ended before the weapon could be used. I found it interesting that AKS hardly ever jam and 50 years later the weapon can still fire without being cleaned! There are stories of an AK found buried with a dead Vietcong soldier, dug up a year later and the weapon still fired! It also goes into detail of how the weapon became the choice of terrorists in the Middle East, Africa, and Central and South America. If you are a history buff, enjoy warfare, or a gun enthusiasti suggest you read this book. It's deffinitely an interesting read.

0470168803.jpg

jcolec02

Mentor
the AK 47 is on an african nations flag though i dont remember which one...

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yeah its ridculous how fast this weapon was spread around the world. For gods sakes U.S.A. bought AKS from China and sold them to the Afghans to fight the Soviets!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Kalishnakov is living on small pension in Moscow. If he'd been a westerner, he'd be rolling in money.

Outstanding rifle.

Tom Iron...

Bronk

Mentor
The AK47 is so popular because it will work even if its not cleaned, it will work even after something runs over it, if it gets muddy or wet.

It's Third World proof.

If I could ignore the communist symbolism in that flag, It'd say it's cool. From a pure design standpoint it is very nice, lol.