AFL demographics?

whiteCB

Master
I've been watching Arena football more and more this year. One thing I've noticed is that each team has at least one white DB and/or WR starting, as opposed to NFL teams, which usually have none. Though just like the NFL the majority of players seem to be black. So I was just wondering if anyone has some demographic numbers, you know the racial makeup, of the league to see how it compares to the NFL. At first glance the AFL does seem a little more white friendly but not by much. Any help would be great.

G

whiteCB said:
I've been watching Arena football more and more this year. One thing I've noticed is that each team has at least one white DB and/or WR starting, as opposed to NFL teams, which usually have none. Though just like the NFL the majority of players seem to be black. So I was just wondering if anyone has some demographic numbers, you know the racial makeup, of the league to see how it compares to the NFL. At first glance the AFL does seem a little more white friendly but not by much. Any help would be great.

Why does that matter? If it's more white friendly, that means nothing in asserting superiority. We do know this is minor league, right?

I do not have any doubts that discrimination takes place in the NFL and other major leagues because personnel men get caught up with trends and typecasts. Let's just focus on examples of white players in skill positions that light it up during the preseason. When they do and get benched, that's what the focus should be on.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He's asking because he's curious, and because an occasional AFL player does make itto the NFL. Kurt Warner and Mike Furrey come to mind. White players are filtered out long before the NFL preseason. The ones you see there are a small portion of the ones who should be playing. Suggesting what we should"focus on" here shows some chutzpah for a first post.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Suggesting what we should "focus on" here shows some chutzpah for a first post.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

WTF is with all these people coming to the board recently and trying to tell all the rest of us what to post or not post about?

Freedom

Mentor
Fryzel, Bergeron, and a few others have attained some stardom. It isn't a running back's league though. A white RB that doesn't make the NFL and goes to play Arena Football to make ends meet, will have to bulk up to be a fullback almost automatically.

whiteCB

Master
Yeah but does anyone have some numbers like percentage of players races and such or by position? I know I looked up the Columbus Destroyers(home state team) and found the only white players are a couple o-linemen, 2 QBs, a kicker, and a FB on the DL.Edited by: whiteCB