6 white running backs

White Power

Mentor
By my count their are 6 white running backs that could get carries this year in the leauge when was the last time this happened, and how much did Toby Gerhart finishing 2nd in the heisman help these players. I mean the NFL does treat white players very poorly however 6 white running backs is better than previous seasons. This does not change my mind about the caste syatem their are still alot of very good white players unemployed this morning, and we continue to get screwed every year. I am suprised about the 6 white athletes more than any thing else. All I can say is it is about freaking time the leauge allow whites to run the damn ball. The 6 are Brock Bolen, Toby Gerhart, Brian Leonard, John Kuhn, Peyton Hillis, and Danny Woodhead. Is their any one I forgot if so please add to the list.

rajuncajun

Guru
I totally agree with you, it is a small step! Let's hope that the kids in college can continue to shine so that we can continue to break the racial barrier that exists today. Remember, the league is a bunch of copy cats, so success by these six will prove to be a big factor! Now we just need more guys on defense!!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We'll know at the end of the season how many Whites were "allowed" to carry the ball, and how often. Fresh off the yearly purge of White talent, I admire the continued optimism of some posters here, but 30+ years of history argue against it.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
WP, don't forget Jacob Hester possibly being used as a H-back, occasional third down back or in short yardage. Of course, I expect most of the carries will go to Ryan Matthews- and nearly all the rest to Sproles, but let's hope for the best!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's pretty much been the same or even slightly worse recently for white running backs. In last 90's and early early 2000's Mike Alstott was at least getting lots of carries and almost had 1,000 yards one season. He even had over 200 carries some seasons. How many white backs will get over 200 carries this year? None unless Peterson goes down early in the season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
whiteathlete33 said:
It's pretty much been the same or even slightly worse recently for white running backs. In last 90's and early early 2000's Mike Alstott was at least getting lots of carries and almost had 1,000 yards one season. He even had over 200 carries some seasons. How many white backs will get over 200 carries this year? None unless Peterson goes down early in the season.

Also, most years there have been equivalents to Hester, Bolen (if he even sees the field), Kuhn, Woodheadand Leonard. Guys like Bob Christian, Rob Konrad, Sean Bennett, Scott Green, Marc Edwards, Brad Hoover, Heath Evans, Travis Jervey, Cory Schlessinger, Heath Evans, all had the occasional bone thrown to them.

I think Gerhart has helped a little and hopefully Hillis will this year again (but he could easily get screwed over again), but there's still a long way to go before the NFL becomes a "copycat" league in a way that significantly benefits the tremendous amount of readily available White talent at RB and every other position. The treatment Hillis received last season remains the NFL's m.o.Edited by: Don Wassall

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
whiteathlete33 said:
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>Also, most years there have been equivalents to Hester, Bolen (if he even sees the field), Kuhn and Leonard. Guys like Bob Christian, Rob Konrad, Sean Bennett, Scott Green, Marc Edwards, Brad Hoover, Heath Evans, Travis Jervey, Cory Schlessinger, Heath Evans, all had the occasional bone thrown to them. </div>
<div></div>
<div>I think Gerhart has helped a little and hopefully Hillis will this year again (but he could easily get screwed over again), but there's still a long way to go before the NFL becomes a "copycat" league in a way that significantly benefits the tremendous amount of readily available White talent at RB and every other position. The treatment Hillis received last season remains the NFL's m.o.</div>

Don't forget that Brock Forsey started a few games for Chicago because of injuries. You also had guys like Jared Mcgrath out of Vandy in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot about Forsey, but I don't think McGrath ever played in a regular season game. There's always been White RBs like McGrath in the furthest fringes of the league -- Dustin McGrorty, R. J. Bowers (who received a few carries at the end of Steelers blowouts one season), and others. A few years ago the Jets had three White tailbacks on their training camp roster and cut all of them.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I forgot about Forsey, but I don't think McGrath ever played in a regular season game. There's always been White RBs like McGrath in the furthest fringes of the league -- Dustin McGrorty, R. J. Bowers (who received a few carries at the end of Steelers blowouts one season), and others. A few years ago the Jets had three White tailbacks on their training camp roster and cut all of them.

McGrath never played in a game but he was on active rosters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My post was in reference to White backs who were given occasional carries and receptions in regular season games.

White Power

Mentor
All I am saying is that it is a positive step in the right direction. Now could they all not play and be bencehed hell yeah this is the racist NFL. However this is a little bright spot in an other wise bleak past for white players.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's all about baby steps. We need either Gerhart or Hillis to have a big year. Hopefully they both will but they need to get enough chances to run the ball. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree and have always maintained it's about baby steps. And White Power I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I've seen dozens and dozens of White running backs denied fair treatment over the past 30 years.

Here's a blurb currently on Rotoworld: Browns coach Eric Mangini said Monday he expects Jerome Harrison to "seize the opportunity" to be the No. 1 running back and "run with it." Harrison has historically struggled to earn the trust of his coaches, so even these cliches from Mangini are telling. With Montario Hardesty (knee) down, Harrison is the clear-cut feature back and will play on third downs as well. Consider him a strong RB2 play with the Bucs first up on the schedule Sunday.

This could be a bit of wishful thinking on the part of rabidly anti-White football player Rotoworld, but then you consider that Mikey Holmgren is now running the personnel on the Browns and it's not difficult to foresee Hillis getting shafted again. The drafting of Hardesty made that obvious. Besides Harrison, Cleveland still has James Davis, who was being hyped big time in last year's training camp before he too blew out a knee.

When something happens over and over again with no exceptions it's more than a pattern. I think we have to "be from Missouri" when it comes to White players being treated fairly, but of course I'd like nothing better than to see several White RBs running the ball as starters or as heavily used backups in the NFL. I just don't expect to see it until the big college programs start recruiting and playing White high school stars at RB, and that they do so only because of pressure from a more enlightened White fan base and fromthe players themselves and their families and friends (and maybe a well-planned and -financed class action suit or two). The Caste System will change from bottom-up pressure rather than voluntarily from the top down, and in conjunction with more Whites in general waking up and refusing to go along with the system's agenda of defeating them psychologically in preparation for replacing them in the U.S. Edited by: Don Wassall

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I must admit the emergence of talented white receivers like Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Austin Collie gives me some hope that the running back situation will turn around. It will take time and the improvement will be minor though. Gerhart and Hillis are the two best white backs in the league right now and they need to be productive with their limited opportunities. With that being said it's a shame more a more explosive white back like Jake Sharp will most likely never get a chance. With his athleticism he could really change the DWF's and medias perceptions of white running backs.

JReb1

Mentor
Travis Jervey was supposed to be the starting RB for Green Bay awhile back but mysteriously ended up in Holmgrens doghouse and never got the chance to start even though he had freakish speed and more than shined whenever he got any carries.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I like the "Polllyana" vibe this tread has going with well placed caution. Don, your right about the bottom revolt against the castesystem, it will have to copy the TEA Party movement. At a point in high visibly/stake sport where Whites say WTF, this crap has to stop.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After Hillis and Gerhart, Danny Woodhead is the White RB most likely to get carries,under the "emergency replacement" scenario, the only one that ever seems to temporarily give a White tailback some serious carries. If Shonn Greene -- who is stillunproven --goes down, the Jets will have to turn to Ladainian Tomlinson, who declined quite a bit the past two seasons, to try and carry the load. He may or may not have something left. Woodhead is a faster but far less experienced version of Tomlinson. If Greene were to go down and Tomlinson is less than effective, the Jets would be forced to turn to Woodhead more, though one can be sure they would be after "off the street" black journeymen to audition and sign. Is Ahman Green still available? How about Jamal "Cement Feet" Lewis? Woodhead could be the Jets version of Darren Sproles, but only in the most unlikely and roundabout way, unlike Sproles, who was drafted and utilized in the Chargers' offense from the get-go. Edited by: Don Wassall

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very true Don. It's disgusting how they treat the NCAA All time leading rusher ever. Danny Woodhead could easily run for 1000 yards. Hehas the speed, vision and the instincts. It's so sad to see him sit on the bench so much. What an incredible waste of talent. Edited by: white lightning

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The excuse as to why Woodhead doesn't get much playing time is his size. He's close to 200lbs and while I don't expect him to handle 350 carries a season he should be able to handle around 200 without a problem.

backrow

Hall of Famer
but then again Danny is the biggest threat to the caste system. it's somehow easier for the media to swallow bigger, bruising backs like Peyton Hillis and Gerhart, they just pin the John Riggins clone onto them. Danny is fast, agile and basically a prototype halfback, maybe slightly too short but still, he is the living proof white guys can be as good of RBs as anyone.

phil3333

good thread,realistically hillis is the only one of the afore mentioned backs to get any significant<div>amount of carries.</div><div>the only hope for toby is that AP gets hurt and i hate to say it but i don't think there is any way in hell</div><div>woodhead will ever be allowed to be a primary ball carrier in the nil as this would make it to obvious</div><div>about the unfair treatment given to white rb's</div>