2024 French Open

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't watch this year's French Open at all and apparently no one else did either who posts here. Rafael Nadal was injured and lost in the first round of the tournament he had dominated like no one has ever dominated a grand slam event and likely never will again. He may be done after a great and prolific career at the top with Federer and Djokovic, what an era of men's tennis we were privileged to enjoy!

Nadal's successor this year is another great Spanish player, Carlos Alcaraz, still just 21 years old, who won in five sets over Alexander Zverev. Alcaraz now has three Grand Slam titles, adding the French to his Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles.

Iga Swiatek of Poland won the women's draw for the third year in a row and fourth time overall. Great to see a White woman stay at the top for once instead of winning and then quickly disappearing, it's been a long time since the days of Evert, Navratilova, Graf, etc.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Thanks for the report Don. I respect the sport but I barely watch it unless it’s
A) on at work
B) a match with a super hot female tennis player

Haha

icsept

Master
I watched periodically, but never a full match. The American men expectedly flamed out early. Djokovic is still at a high level, with the heart of a champion. But, he will need a perfect draw and perfect health to win another grand slam. Iga’s dominance of Coco Gauff is enjoyable. The 17 year old female Russian, Andreev, made it to the semifinals. She could be a future star. Alcaraz is spectacular and the best athlete now in men’s tennis.