2019 US Open

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Championship point and her crossing herself with the Orthodox crossing at the end before greeting the cheers. Fantastic...

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
And she may not be a bombshell like Sharapova, but hey, she's a gutsy competitor and true winner. As pointed out before too many of these young girls just wilt before stepping onto the court against The Linebacker, but not this girl!!
"Major" congrats to her!

b_USTA1189603_20190907_USO_D13_GE3_0899.jpg

Shadowlight

Master
Not kidding when I say I can empathize with the likes of Spike ( purple glasses) Lee and The Duchess. I know the feeling of eating it raw.

When a pitcher is throwing a no hitter no one in the dugout says a word. It is protocol. If the Duchess had been taking in matches here at the US Open there would be no jinx factor. But to fly in on a special flight to catch Serena in the final.? If that doesn't have jinx written all over it then I don't know what does.

You think Serena's camp would think twice about having "Her Highness" flying in for another final. Beyond hilarious. The whole thing put a cork up Serena's ass. Ha. Belly laugh stuff.

Seriously Bianca is a pugnacious street fighter ( see above posts) that had enough power and focus to knock off Serena. Only 19 Bianca has a bright future because she has the athleticism, verve, toughness and power strokes including a strong serve so it seems reasonable to expect her to bag more majors. If she stays healthy. Unlike many female tennis players there is nothing dainty about Andreescu.

Do I adore and love her like Simona Halep? No. But I like Bianca's blue collar rough and tumble game and it should carry her places.

By the way my prediction which predates most all media outlets that neither Roger or Serena would win another major is still standing. I posted that here right after Serena got pregnant over two years ago. I would prefer to be wrong with Roger but I am happy Serena keeps losing. Albeit both have come close. Serena has been in several finals and Roger had two match points on serve no less at Wimbledon.

But there is a saying. The Shadow Knows.

And there is nothing like jinx protocols.

Claimjumper

Mentor
Nadal defeats crowd villain (partly due to his WWE style trash talk and partly due to the US populace conditioned to hate Russia) Daniil Medvedev in 5 sets 7-5 6-3 5-7 4-6 6-4 to claim his 4th US Open title and 19th overall, now just one behind Federer’s 20 and 3 clear of Djokovic

This win caps the most dominant decade in men’s grand slam tennis we have , statistically ever seen, and likely will see amongst an elite group of players.

Out of 40 majors contested only 6 different winners.

The final tally is:

Djokovic: 15
Nadal: 13
Federer: 5
Murray: 3
Wawrinka: 3
Cilic: 1

The next “closest” decade is the 1920’s when there were 11 unique winners. Wow!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The great Rafa does it, in five sets over the Russian Medvedev! His 19th Slam win, the beyond belief golden era of men's tennis continues. I only tuned in late in the fifth set and am so glad I did. Even now, Nadal is still a feral presence on the court, so glad for him. . . . frickin awesome!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
No reason to believe Nadal won't tie and pass Federer in Majors now. He at least has another French in him and who knows what. From what I read Medvedev was not liked by some of the N.Y. crowd simply because he's an "evil White Russian". Sheeple and lemmings...

white is right

Hall of Famer
I actually tuned out to take a power nap before going to the gym and missed Medvedev's comeback and just caught the last set. Nadal fights to the last point and is probably the mentally strongest elite player in years.

Yes he should pass Federer before all is said and done, but he isn't the GOAT and may not even have the major record for long if Novak can get over the injury bug.

ramicackle

Guru
FYI: the betting websites have Serena Williams at an 18% to 20% chance to win the 2020 Australian open. If she doesn't get a win in Aus, she will probably never win another major as the French Open isn't her event and she will be pretty old next summer. I think Margaret Court is going to keep her title for a long time.