2006 Utah State Aggies

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the 2006 probable starting white Aggies. I included Pacific Islanders in this list.

Offense
FB-Jimmy Bohm
TE-Rob Myers
LT-Shawn Murphy
LG-Ryan Tonnemacher
C-Brent DeLadurantey
RG-Pace Jorgensen
RT-Taylor Wallace

Defense
LE-Bevan Howard
DT-Brian Soi
DT-E.J. Reid
RE-Ben Calderwood
MLB-Jake Hutton

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
explain this to me... please.
smiley5.gif

Utah State played Arkansas this weekend, and it was clear that most of Utah State's roster was obviously not from Utah, if you know what i mean.
smiley36.gif

my question is this... if you are Utah State's athletic director, coach, booster, whatever, and your team hasn't won more than 4 games in something like 10 years, why would you keep bringing in third and fourth tier black football players from reject junior colleges and so forth to field your team?

wouldn't it inspire more fan interest, pride, etc. to field a team of local kids? if you're going to get the crap kicked out of you on a regular basis anyway, what would it hurt? you obviously can't get any worse. right? yet it seems very few of these lower level programs do so. and in the case of Utah State, your obviously best players over the last several seasons were local products... Chris Cooley was from nearby in Wyoming and Kevin Curtis was from right there in Utah.

i just wanted to hear what some of your thoughts were...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Utah State I would argue is the most liberal of the big 3 here in Utah. They like being different, and they dont have much to offer kids as far as things to do up in Logan. Frankly, I dont know how they get so many outsiders. I guess your right though, nobody else wants them. It seems they would recruit more locally, but I guess between Utah and BYU, they get left out, except for a few great white players every few years. Most of the local kids I'm sure want to play somewhere besides Logan and do if they get a chance. Thats what I see after having visited the Utah State, Utah, and BYU campii.

Triad

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
explain this to me... please.
smiley5.gif

my question is this... if you are Utah State's athletic director, coach, booster, whatever, and your team hasn't won more than 4 games in something like 10 years, why would you keep bringing in third and fourth tier black football players from reject junior colleges and so forth to field your team?

wouldn't it inspire more fan interest, pride, etc. to field a team of local kids? if you're going to get the crap kicked out of you on a regular basis anyway, what would it hurt? you obviously can't get any worse. right? yet it seems very few of these lower level programs do so.
i just wanted to hear what some of your thoughts were...

I have been asking that same question about Ole Miss and Miss. State for 20 + years. Except for 4-5 years over that period neither has been very SEC competitive. However, they have no shortage of out of state affletes (especially from Florida) while constantly overlooking in state local kids. Doesn't make sense to me either The locals can't do worse. (Example- MSU's loss to Maine in 2004)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Go Bears! Maine Bears that is!
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif

Seriously though, it is hard to see, and why I don't support Ole Miss anymore. Delta State is bad enough.
smiley19.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Boy, how strange for this to break today after our discussion. I heard two radio hosts talking about this today and how 7 players have been kicked off the team or had run ins with the law since April, 3 are black.

USU Football Player Kicked From Team
LOGAN Utah State football player Tony Pennyman was dismissed from the Aggie football team for a violation of team rules it was announced by head coach Brent Guy on Tuesday.

"This dismissal follows the basic procedures we have for repeat offenders," Guy said. "Tony knew his situation and did not comply."

Antonio Pennyman, 21, was taken into custody after witnesses told police they saw him fighting with the woman in a parking lot.

Pennyman was booked for assault but has not been formally charged yet. Police say the woman's injuries were minor.

Pennyman, a senior wide receiver from Hayward, Calif., had caught four passes for 49 yards in two games this year. He entered the season as USU's top returning wide out having made 63 catches for 741 yards and five touchdowns in 2005.

"We hope that Tony can get his life in order and we wish him the best," Guy said.

Pennyman becomes the seventh Aggie with legal troubles in the past two months. Last month, redshirt freshman Taylor Wallace was charged with a felony drug distribution charge, and five teammates - Steven Downs, Marcus Cross, Kendall Fisher, Brennan McFadden and Ryan Tonnemacher - were cited for marijuana possession and paraphernalia possession.

Back in April, former Aggie backup QB Jerod Walker pleaded not guilty to a first-degree felony charge of aggravated sexual assault.

Here's an excerpt from the article on the drug charges on August 4.
"Coach Guy is willing to give people a second chance," Strauss said. "If they do something again, he's pretty quick to pull the trigger. This is not Steven Downs' first violation."

Downs, 19, was projected to be a backup linebacker. The Anaheim, Calif., native had four years of eligibility remaining after not playing as a freshman last season.

Downs and four teammates were given misdemeanor marijuana citations July 22 after police responded to complaints of drug use at a Logan apartment.

Guy said the players quickly told him about the incident. The other four -- Kendall Fisher, Marcus Cross, Brennan McFadden and Ryan Tonnemacher -- have been punished and won't miss any games, Strauss said.

Pennyman
577494.jpeg

Wallace
577537.jpeg

Walker
312991.jpeg

Downs
Downs-Football2005-web.jpg

Cross
577440.jpeg

Tonnemacher
596874.jpeg

Fisher
577452.jpeg

McFadden
577489.jpeg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just updated the Aggies starters, still the same number are white and the same positions, just some different people. They come down to Cougartown tomorrow to get spanked by BYU.