'05 preseason All American team

SteveB

Mentor
Schroeder has started all season at the X receiver (outside receiver). Jason Carter has been the go to guy for McNeil, so he gets most of the receiving yardage. Since Schroeder is so productive, I can't see the coaches not calling more plays for him. During the offseason, Coach Fran has been telling everyone that he wanted to get Schroeder the ball more often. I think that they want to hide a few things until the conference games get started.

Chad is only a junior, so look for him to have a good season this year, and a great season next year. One thing to keep in mind is he was a quarterback in high school and his freshman year at A&M, so he has only played WR for one season. He is so fast (4.3 40 time)that he will only get better as he learns the position.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
looks like ESPN.com is finally catching on to what we've already noticed...Chad Schroeder is awesome! here's the article, but notice 3 things when you read it. 1st look where they bury the facts about his speed, 2nd why doesn't it talk about his overall lack of touches, and 3rd look at the black QB he beat in high school (as an aside, reggie mcneal IS the best black QB in college today, in my opinion. he doesn't make a lot of dumb plays, and despite his speed he'd rather throw the ball. he seems to be a good leader, as well, sorta in the mold of byron leftwich):

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M wide receiver Chad Schroeder is smart and deceptively quick.

But those qualities don't explain his statistics this season.

Each of the former quarterback's four catches have been for touchdowns. His only rush also went for a score.

His teammates have inserted the word "Touchdown" between Schroeder's first and last name, and his knack for scoring every time he touches the ball has them talking about him with reverence.

"Every time Chad touches it, it's a touchdown," fellow receiver Jason Carter said. "Everybody knows that."

Even Schroeder can't tell you the secret to his success, but he's reveling in it.

"I don't know, but I'll take it," he said. "Coach Fran [Dennis Franchione] always talks about preparing for your opportunity and luckily when it's come I've been able to take care of it."

It probably doesn't hurt that Schroeder spent years as a quarterback and grew up immersed in the game as the son of Ron Schroeder, the former longtime coach at Austin Westlake.

"He does have an understanding of the game and I think that's very critical when you play that position," Aggies offensive coordinator Les Koenning said. "He has the ability to be in the right spot and that creates confidence with the quarterback."

The junior had one catch for a 31-yard score at Clemson, catches for TDs of 15- and 32-yards in a win over SMU and a 44-yard catch for a score against Texas State. He's averaging 30.5 yards per catch.

He has been timed at 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. He uses that speed to easily lose his defenders and it came in handy when he took the snap on a fake field goal 13 yards for his other touchdown against Texas State.

Schroeder caught eight passes for 141 yards, but didn't have any touchdowns as a freshman. Last season, he had four catches for 135 yards and two scores.

Modest and unassuming, Schroeder said his output is "pretty cool" and that he considers it a blessing.

As a high school quarterback, Schroeder put together an impressive resume. In 2001 as a senior, he threw for 2,534 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Schroeder got past Houston Madison and current Texas quarterback Vince Young in the semifinals before a Lufkin team led by Reggie McNeal beat Westlake in the Class 5A Division II Championship.

He had orally committed to play quarterback at Purdue before changing his mind and coming to Texas A&M, where he knew he'd have to convert to wide receiver.

Seeing McNeal's skills as a quarterback in the state title game made him less resistant to the transition.

"When I knew I was going to come here to play receiver, it was really exciting because I knew he was going to be the quarterback," Schroeder said.

McNeal is happy that Schroeder's on his team now. He enjoys watching him work.

"Anytime I throw the ball, I know he's going to make a play for me," McNeal said. "He just runs right by them and once he gets by them they won't catch up with him."

Schroeder will try to keep his perfect ratio intact when Texas A&M opens Big 12 Conference play against Baylor on Saturday.

and here's an article on a guy that will DEFINITELY be noted on the postseason list, Mr. Jeff Samardzija.

Coaches rave Samardzija just has 'it'

By Adam Rittenberg
Special to ESPN.com

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Somewhere on the Indiana Toll Road, inside a car bound for Chicago's Wrigley Field, Notre Dame baseball coach Paul Mainieri turned to the man next to him and made a prediction.

The subject was Jeff Samardzija, a junior wide receiver for the Fighting Irish who doubles as a pitcher on the school's baseball team. In two seasons, Samardzija had only 24 receptions, none of which had resulted in a touchdown.

"I would be shocked if Samardzija doesn't catch 50 balls in the fall," Mainieri said emphatically.

"Why do you say that?" asked Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis.

"Because he's got it," Mainieri said. "I don't know how you define 'it,' but some guys just have it. He's going to find a way to make a major contribution this fall."

They continued on to the Cubs game, Mainieri confident of his declaration, Weis not quite convinced. Training camp was weeks away, and Notre Dame was bringing back four players, including leading receiver Rhema McKnight, who caught more passes than Samardzija last season.

Turns out Mainieri was spot-on.

Through four games, Samardzija, whose role increased with McKnight's knee injury, has caught six touchdowns, four more than any other Notre Dame player, and leads the team with 346 receiving yards. The long-haired wideout with the spell-checker-stumping surname already has 21 receptions, well on pace to the 50 Mainieri forecasted.

"I'm probably the least surprised person at this university to see what he's doing in football," Mainieri said. "In all honesty, I'm surprised it took this long. Obviously I'm not the football coach, but I am a coach and I know what an athlete is. I know what a winning athlete is.

"He was a guy who was born to be a winner."

After witnessing Samardzija go 8-1 on the mound last year, Mainieri knew the lanky right-hander prospered under pressure. But the spotlight didn't find Samardzija until this season, when he's become one of quarterback Brady Quinn's favorite targets.

Weis has rationed his praise for Samardzija, noting he never designs a play for one wide receiver. When opposing defenses roll their coverage against Notre Dame, Weis said, a receiver is usually left open. This season, that receiver has been Samardzija.

But the offensive script leaves room for improvisation, and that's where Samardzija flourishes.

"Some people have a gift," Weis said. "I'd like to sit here and take responsibility for that. ... He does a great job of positioning his body where he's the only one who really has a chance of making the play."

That much was clear last Saturday against Washington. In the third quarter, Quinn lofted a pass downfield to Samardzija, who, in a flashback to his prep days as a first-team all-state center fielder, tracked the ball and stretched his 6-foot-5 frame to make the grab.

"I wish I could put that on tape and explain it, but sometimes you just kind of go with it," said Samardzija. "I was on top of the DB, so it makes it a little easier when he's out of the picture and you can make a play on the ball."

Most receivers are body catchers, but Samardzija often relies on his exceptional hands, which he's developed in baseball.

"It's just kind of something that's natural, makes sense," said Samardzija, a freshman All-American in baseball. "I always thought it would be a little advantage."

Added Mainieri: "He's the best defensive pitcher we have. It's like watching Greg Maddux field his position."

Samardzija's boundless personality has benefited Notre Dame, historically one of college football's most tightly wound programs. With the long hair, a quirky taste in music and a catchy nickname -- "Shark," given by former Irish baseball player Chris Niesel for his resemblance to a character from the movie "Shark Tales" -- Samardzija is one of the team's most colorful players.

"Whether it's a serious situation or a not-so-serious situation, he's always someone who can take the edge off," RB Darius Walker said. "He's a great person to be around."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good stuff Jimmy! I look forward to seeing both of these guys play the rest of the season.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
watch list guys i caught this week:

as i posted on another thread, i scouted Johnny Quinn, the North Texas standout receiver today after tivoeing his game against Troy. i'll re-post my thoughts here: Quinn is the [I[only[/i] threat in North Texas' passing game. TREMENDOUS hands. catches everything that's thrown his way, and he has a knack for making the big play when the game is on the line. he muffed a punt (very unusual for him) in the first half, which set up troy's first touchdown, but he more than made up for it with a couple of very nice kick returns and a couple of dazzling catches. also an outstanding downfield blocker. it was his block downfield that allowed UNT's QB to score on a 20-yard td run. looks bigger and stronger than he's listed. a very physical receiver. fast enough, with good wiggle and YAC ability. he's not afraid to extend to make catches over the middle. definitely doesn't have alligator arms. rightly regarded as the best wideout in the Sun Belt conference.

his QB is a frosh, and the o-line is very inexperienced, so Quinn and UNT's 2 talented tailbacks have all seen their numbers drop this season.

also caught the re-airing of the USC-ASU game. i was once again very impressed with ASU CB Josh Golden. while some of the game was cut due to time constraints, there was plenty of airtime to show that, USC wanted no part of the Golden boy on the outside. they didn't throw at his man at all during the game. as i noted before, he has excellent awareness and rapidly comes off his man in support. OUTSTANDING closing speed, as shown when he caught lindale (sp?) white from behind on white's td run. he simply wasn't strong enough to knock white off-balance and out of bounds at the pylon. again he's not physically imposing, but he is willing to stick his head in there on the running game and he is a sure tackler in the open field. on numerous occasions he took out white and the FBs in one-on-one situations.

also noted ASU safety Zach Catanese. this guy is all over the field in both the passing game and in run support. looks to be the only intimidating hitter in the ASU secondary, but hits hard enough to make up for everyone else. ouch! has tremendous size, 6'2", 225 and looks very fast in pads.

also got in a quickie, watching the first half of the Memphis-UTEP game to see if Memphis corner Dustin Lopez has come along at all this season. it looks as if his coach has gotten the point across with regard to Lopez being too soft. Dustin was MUCH more aggressive than when i have watched him previously. still not much help against the run, but he was VERY physical against UTEP's biggest receiver despite giving up 6 inches and about 30 pounds or better. unlike in previous contests, Lopez was tested early and often, and he came up big including two pass break-ups on what looked to be sure touchdowns. showed tremendous closing speed and decent ball skills. was beaten once on a double move, trying to take advantage of his aggressiveness, but the QB and receiver couldn't hook up. Lopez gave up just one completion for six yards in the half. he'll be a guy to keep an eye on...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i almost forgot.
smiley9.gif

recorded the CSU-Air Force game and even put it on dvd! i know we all love CSU tailback Kyle Bell, but i thought i'd break him down.

Bell is a physically impressive looking back. just looks like a beast. his best attribute, though, is his vision. seems to always pick the proper hole or cutback lane. has incredible balance, allowing him to take full advantage of his vision, keeps his footing and acceleration during his cutbacks. rarely is brought down by the first defender. runs with authority. translation: runs hard and low to the ground, leaving little for tacklers to hit besides shoulder and thigh pads. fluid movement, with subtle wiggle making it tough for defenders to get a square shot on him in the open field. combined with his power, it's a difficult combo to bring down. not given credit as possessing much speed, but doesn't get caught from behind. and that, to me, means he's plenty fast enough. needs to improve in the passing game, both picking up the blitz and as a receiver. overall, an outstanding talent who reminds me a lot of cory dillon.

white tornado

Mentor
Paul Posluszny won the Chuck Bednarik Award for the defensive player of the year.

A.J. Hawk won the Vince Lombardi

Greg Eslinger won the Outland Trophy for best interior lineman

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is good news! With those guys and Hass and Leinart winning their position awards, whites did very well this year. A definite step up!
smiley32.gif