White Receivers

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Dwight always does a great job of returning punts, then gets cut. Don't know why but it must've happened 5 or 6 times in his career.

Stonewall said:
Tim Dwight, after only one week on Oakland's roster, has won the punt return job.

A fews back, Dwight was said to have been THE fastest man in the NFL. His college track career speaks for itself. He dominated at Iowa in the 400m relays. The video clips of him running in track events are actually posted up on youtube.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White receivers have to go througha beyond-ridiculous "apprenticeship" in the NFL, riding the bench or being repeatedly cut and bounced from team to team before getting an opportunity, which most never end up getting. The NFL has snubbed Belitnikoff Award winner like Mike Hass, but undrafted black rookie scrubs can immediately rise up the depth chart and challenge for starting positions.

In Miami, cement-footed Ernest Wilford has slid down the depth chart, to be replaced by who, perhaps David Kircus? Greg Camarillo? Of course not, someone named Davone Bass is now the Dolphins' slot receiver according to this article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl -flspdolrail12sbaug12,0,5969892.story?track=rss

In San Francisco, fantasy football fans are trying to sort out who willstart across fromelderly Isaac Bruce. Will it be Bryant Johnson, Jason Hill, Arnaz Battle, or Ashlie Lelie? Apparently it could betheone and onlyJosh Morgan, a black rookie WR drafted in the 6th round out of Virginia Tech whose best receiving yardage at VT was 552 yards his senior season. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blog id=45&entry_id=29040

The only white WR given an opportunity right off the bat over the past quarter century-plus remains Wayne Chrebet. How that happened remains one of the great mysteries of our time. The vast majority of white wide receivers are never given an opportunity no matter how productive they were in college and no matter how good their measurables, with rare exceptions. Matt Jones was drafted in the first round, but whether he hasbeen given a fair opportunity by the league's most Afro-philic franchise is certainly debatable. Maybe Jordy Nelson will be another exception, as Anthony Gonzalez appears to be. Record-setting receivers like Mike Hass, Danny Farmer, John Standeford along with countlessother talented onesnever getting a chanceare the norm; while the hyping and promotion of black scrubs with little to no proven production but a "play-making ability" only possessed by blacks is also the norm. And so it goes in the NFL.Edited by: Don Wassall

bigunreal

Mentor
Although he has looked good, Jordy Nelson is, according to the fantasy sources I've read, the Packers' 5th WR right now. When was the last time a team took a WR in the 2nd round and put him in that position?

Once again, my paranoia is activated; it certainly does seem that the white WRs-RBs with the best chance to play are somehow always drafted by a team that doesn't appear to need them. If Jacob Hester, for instance, had been drafted by the Lions or the Texans, he'd have a real chance to start. Instead, he goes to the Chargers, where he will languish behind Tomlinson. The same thing happened to Brian Leonard last year. Why couldn't the 49ers, with their woeful WR corps, have picked Jordy Nelson in the draft? He would almost certainly have been a starter there. Instead, he goes to the Packers, who have some solid WRs already, including two young ones who were also drafted high (Jennings, Jones).

As for Matt Jones, the question remains- why would an organization that hates white players even more than all the other white-hating teams, have been the first team in many years to pick a white WR in the first round?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
Although he has looked good, Jordy Nelson is, according to the fantasy sources I've read, the Packers' 5th WR right now. When was the last time a team took a WR in the 2nd round and put him in that position?

Once again, my paranoia is activated; it certainly does seem that the white WRs-RBs with the best chance to play are somehow always drafted by a team that doesn't appear to need them. If Jacob Hester, for instance, had been drafted by the Lions or the Texans, he'd have a real chance to start. Instead, he goes to the Chargers, where he will languish behind Tomlinson. The same thing happened to Brian Leonard last year. Why couldn't the 49ers, with their woeful WR corps, have picked Jordy Nelson in the draft? He would almost certainly have been a starter there. Instead, he goes to the Packers, who have some solid WRs already, including two young ones who were also drafted high (Jennings, Jones).

As for Matt Jones, the question remains- why would an organization that hates white players even more than all the other white-hating teams, have been the first team in many years to pick a white WR in the first round?

Good points all except for the Lion's being good for Jordy Nelson. Lions have Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Shaun McDonald, the first two who were No. 1 picks, and McDonald who was designated to take Mike Furrey's place as the number three receiver. Since they have Furrey they already are over their quota for white receivers (ZERO!) anyway.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Don Wassall wrote:

"The only white WR given an opportunity right off the bat over the past quarter century-plus remains Wayne Chrebet. How that happened remains one of the great mysteries of our time."

Rich Kotite was the coach-probably the smartest move he ever made.

referendum

Mentor
When one promising white receiver gets cut, which will happen soon, I'm wondering if the 49ers' with Martz their new offensive coordinator, will pick him up.

backrow

Hall of Famer
we'll see how Green Bay deals with the 3 white receivers it has on a rosters... Nelson will be active, i am sure, but Swain can probably only count for practice squad and Johnny Quinn will be cut most likely...

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
The only white WR given an opportunity right off the bat over the past quarter century-plus remains Wayne Chrebet.

The Eagles, to their credit, plugged Kevin Curtis into the starting spot right away. Although this can probably be credited to Andy Reid's love affair with his fellow Mormons, Curtis amassed 1,100 receiving yards; only the second WR to accomplish that during Reid's tenure.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Curtis' starting opportunity didn't come until he was 29 years old and in his fifth season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
At the rate Mike Hass is going, he may be 29 before he even makes 5th string because Lovie Smith doesn't know talent. How can you not play the leading college football receiver from a couple of years ago? Flat out crazy if you ask me.

G

Mike Hass is slightly overated. He really isint good at the jump ball and his jukes dont beat quick defenders.

G

Part of the blame should be on Mike Hass's shoulders. He should have demanded to be traded years ago. All of his prime years are being wasted wearing a NFL jersery and playing for the f'ing scout team. This man needs to WTF up! Lovie Smiff knows exactly what he is doing, keep another white off the team so that a brotha can get some "real playing time". This is the reason I why I am very selective in watching the NFL on TV. The teams I follow better be close to 50% white and have white stars on defense and white skill players on offense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kukulcan said:
This is the reason I why I am very selective in watching the NFL on TV. The teams I follow better be close to 50% white and have white stars on defense and white skill players on offense.

Too bad you haven't had any teams to followsince the 1970s.
smiley36.gif

G

I can name three. Pats, Colts and the Broncos of the late 80's early 90's. I can remember feeling this way since the 78 season and I was in the 8th grade.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Chargers are getting there. I think they're going to be very fun to watch this year. Hester will be given a shot, and their defense is absolutely overflowing with strong, athletic white defenders such as Steve Gregory, Eric Weddle, Igor Olshansky and Matt Wilhelm.

Wish I had the NFL Network
smiley19.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Packers too, esp. when Jordy Nelson starts seeing the field a lot. San Diego, Green Bay, Indy, New England, Houston's offense, Buffalo's defense, New Orleans' defense, and possibly the Rams will be the teams I'll be pulling for. Otherwise mostly just individual players.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"The Packers too, esp. when Jordy Nelson starts seeing the field a lot. San Diego, Green Bay, Indy, New England, Houston's offense, Buffalo's defense, New Orleans' defense, and possibly the Rams will be the teams I'll be pulling for. Otherwise mostly just individual players."

The Packers offense should have 6 to 7 starters (depending on fullback, Korey Hall), and 7 to 8 starters when Jordy Nelson is playing. The Packers should have 10 to 11 white starters total.

The Colts and Chargers have added even more white players on defense, and both will have 2+ white DBs on their respective rosters.

Don's right, we have about 8 squads to root for this season, all listed above. I would also add the Giants offense (with Kevin Boss as the new TE).

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Bloom is currently a Pittsburgh Steeler. They signed him to their practice squad halfway through last season after he "didn't cut it" with the Eagles. He returned punts for the Steelers in their first preseason game.

Best of luck to a superb athlete.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers recently signed Pittsburgh native Eddie Drummond, who returned punts and kickoffs for the Lions for a number of years. Allen Rossum was released in the off-season so the signing of Drummond will hurt whatever small chance Bloom has of making the team.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
rob3873 said:
Mike Hass is slightly overated. He really isint good at the jump ball and his jukes dont beat quick defenders.

LOL

Sure thing, man.

Ball / Haas catch highlights

I'm sure everyone... well, almost everyone, on this site has seen that highlight, but it's worth posting AGAIN. There is no reason either of these guys should not be starting in the NFL. They should be household names. Edited by: White Shogun

Bear Backer

Mentor
rob3873 said:

That has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. How can someone be overrated if they haven't ever been given any praise and have never been given a chance to prove if they can play or not? Talking about his jukes just shows you haven't got the foggiest idea about what Mike Hass brings to the table skill wise. Hass may not be the fastest player on the field, but he has always been good at finding ways to get open, because he runs immaculate routes and is deceptively quick. He routinely torched top defenders in college. Not just just beat them, but made them look silly. No he is not the type of reciever who is going to go out in space and be a burner and make people miss, but very few WR's in the NFL reall excell at that as it is anyway, because of the speed of the game. If a WR can find ways to get open and catch the ball he can be successful in the NFL. There is no reason why he couldn't excell as a solid number two reciever in the league given his ability, but he certainly wont if never given the chance. Washouts like Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd, never proven anything players like Mark Bradley and Rashied Davies, and the rookie Earl Bennett who has yet to be able to hold onto anything thrown his way will all continue to get chance after chance and the benefit of the doubt, while Mike Hass is not even given a chance to beat out one of these guys for their job. It is nothing but overt racism what Hass has been treated with during his time with the Bears. What black reciever would be allowed to be told that he has to excell above and beyond his peers at everything, including special teams to make the team while white players were allowed just be who they are? Everyone in the media would be screaming racism at the top of their lungs if the roles were reversed. Edited by: Bear Backer