week 2 2006

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I heard Volek could be traded to san diego after the game so maybe sometime this week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd rather see him go to a team where he might be a starter. He'll never start in San Diego unless Rivers is injured.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
How about our young white quarterbacks. Alex Smith is really looking good, as is Phillip Rivers. Rex Grossman was spectacular today. Drew Brees really had a nice game for the Saints.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Quarterback remains a white stronghold despite the all-out efforts of the Caste System.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree Don! White QB's keep proving they are "the men" when it comes to leading teams and performing under pressure. Eli also had a good day. It feels good to say I knew Eli met his and Rex's folks! Sorry, cant help but drop some names there.
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
How about our young white quarterbacks. Alex Smith is really looking good, as is Phillip Rivers. Rex Grossman was spectacular today. Drew Brees really had a nice game for the Saints.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Quarterback remains a white stronghold despite the all-out efforts of the Caste System.

Glad you added the 'young' qualifier.
smiley5.gif

What's happening to Jake the Snake? Geez.

Kaptain

Master
Whats happened in Tennessee with Billy Volek would almost be comical if it weren't for the fact that Drew Bennett is ultimately the one getting screwed. Volek will find a starting job somewhere sometime but if Drew Bennett puts in one sub-par season it'll be back to bench for whitey.
I don't know how fans could attend a football game in which the coach has already written off the season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White Shogun said:

Since there always has to be at least one white quarterback on the "hot seat," Plummer is on it now. So is Mark Brunell and maybe Chris Simms too. Drew Bledsoe is now off the hot seat, at least for this week.

Maybe Andrew Walter will replace Aaron Brooks for good, but what a mess the Raiders are. So much for Art Shell bringing his "dignified leadership skills" to the Black and Gold. Can't say I feel too bad for Al "Mr. Diversity" Davis.

Skipperron

Guru
As I scanned through the games on tivo I saw 2 pictures, one of Mark Brunell and the other of Todd Collins, white QB's and the commentators were asking if a QB contoversy was brewing. They talked for a minute or two and then said "of course, the position is really Jason Campbell's and that will stop the controversy " Of course, I had to laugh when they showed Campbell and he was black.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Vince Young says : I'm just mad that Drew didn't give me the ball(joking), but overall it was pretty cool to get my first NFL touchdown to a great receiver.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
White Shogun said:

Since there always has to be at least one white quarterback on the "hot seat," Plummer is on it now. So is Mark Brunell and maybe Chris Simms too. Drew Bledsoe is now off the hot seat, at least for this week.

Maybe Andrew Walter will replace Aaron Brooks for good, but what a mess the Raiders are. So much for Art Shell bringing his "dignified leadership skills" to the Black and Gold. Can't say I feel too bad for Al "Mr. Diversity" Davis.
Bringing back a failed coach is always a disaster waiting to happen. Well at least Art won't die on the sidelines as he looks like he has lost alot of weight since Art Shell I.........
smiley5.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
David Pollack broke his neck Sunday (!) and is out for the year and the injury may also be career ending. That's a real shame, he was a terror at Georgia but has had nothing but injury problems since being a first round draft pick.

http://bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5500

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I really rooted for the Titans last year. They had Caste Football's highest grade with a C+. Half of their defensive players were white. Now, I hope they go winless and Jeff Fisher loses his job for being such a wuss with his quarterbacks. And he probably will, because the Titans are going to be even worse than they were the past two seasons. They've gone from making the playoffs every year to NFL bottom feeders with no end in sight.

Don, what team has the highest grade this year?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bear-Arms said:
Don, what team has the highest grade this year?

I will be working on the NFC teams this week, hopefully I'll have them done by the weekend and we'll know then. The AFC teams are done.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Thats too bad about Pollack, I hope he makes a recovery and is ok and can lead a normal healthy life. Did anyone see that hellacious hit Brian Russell laid on Chad Johnson? I could watch it over and over...he won't be running his mouth for awhile.
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
"Head coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't confirm reports of a broken neck and he said it's not a career-threatening injury and expects him back next year. He also said it looks like Pollack won't need surgery and he's expected to leave the hospital later Monday."

hopefully it is not career threatening... Alstott came back from a very serious neck injury after a season, so much younger David potentially should too, if he chooses to come back, that is

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, I hope David will be ok and can come back and play next year. We need all the white defensive players we can get. He is good too, and can still make a difference on the field.

bigunreal

Mentor
Pollack goes down for the season, maybe for his career. Wow- my belief that the few white players in the NFL are disproportionately injury prone grows stronger every day. Btw, Stokely reinjured his ankle after catching a TD pass (the only one thrown his way) yesterday.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The only way I buy into that theory is based on the fact that white players generally play harder than blacks do, thanks to their work ethic AND the Caste System.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Leftwich needs to get the ball to Jones more than once per half... Heath Miller has only one catch so far...

shame that Matt didn't get to this ball thrown into the endzone on a hail mary... he was the closest one to it, but traffic was way too heavy.. they did praise his leaping ability on this one...

Edit: Matt not Mike...
smiley36.gif
Edited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
Notable stats for week 2 - updated after MNF

Offense

Brandon Stokley, WR Colts: 1-10, 1 TD

Mike Furrey, WR Lions: so far 6 catches for 67 yards

Todd Heap, TE Ravens: 5-17 and a TD

Richard Owens, TE Vikings: his first NFL TD catch on a 16 yard pass (fake field goal!)

Owen Daniels, TE Texans: in his second NFL game this rookie from Wisconsin caught his first TD pass; had 4 catches for 44 yards including 33 yard TD catch;
Mark Bruener, Texans veteran TE caught a 1 tard TD pass as well; Jeb Putzier and Kevin Walter also caught passes for Texans

Wes Welker, WR Dolphins: 5-41, 4 kickoff returns for 108 yards

Drew Bennett. WR Titans: 3 cathes for 45 yards and a TD

Joe Klopfenstein, TE Rams: 2-35, Kevin Curtis was 3-13 plus 21 yards on a kick return

Charlie Whitehurst, QB Chargers: 1 scramble for a 14 yard TD for a rookie from Clemson

David Thomas, TE Patriots: nice catch and run for 29 yards, first NFL catch

David Kircus, WR Broncos: 2nd on the team with 2 cathes for 26 yards

Jason Witten, TE Cowboys: 4-45

Anthony Fasano, TE Cowboys: 3-39

Chris Cooley, H-Back Redskins: disappointing 1 catch for 23 yards

Matt Jones, WR Jaguars: 6 catches for 73 yards, (144 yards so far this season) could have two TDs but ball was overthrown in the end zone... pity!
Heath Miller had only 1 catch for 11 yards, as Big Ben struggled a little after coming off two consecutive surgeries in recent months...

Defense

Ryan Denney, DE Bills: 4 total tackles, 3 sacks(!) and a forced fumble

Chris Kelsay, DE Bills: 3 tackles, 1 sack

Brian Urlacher, MLB Bears: 7 tackles, recovered fumble

Aaron Kampman, DE Packers: 4 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced and 1 recovered fumble

AJ Hawk, LB Packers: 7 tackles

Jason Babin, LB Texans: 1 sack

Matt Stewart, LB Browns: 1 sack

Keith Brooking, LB Falcons: 9 combined tackles

Chris Hovan, DT Bucs: 5 takcles, 3 tackles for loss

Brian Russell, FS Browns: 7 combined tackles

Scott Shanle, Scott Fujita, LBs Saints: combined for 17 tackles

Stuart Schweigert, FS Raiders: 7 combined tackles

Grant Wistrom, DE Seahawks: 1 sack and a FF

Peter Sirmon, LB Titans: 8 tackles

John Lynch, FS Broncos: 7 combines tackles and a recovered fumble

Jared Allen, DE Chiefs: 6 tackles

Tedy Bruschi, LB Patriots: 6 tackles and an interception

Mike Vrabel, LB Patriots: 6 total tackles and a sack

Kelly Gregg, DT Ravens: 4 tackles, 2 fumbles recovered, including one run back for 59 yards!!!

Adam Archuleta, S Redskins: game high 11 combined tackles, including 3 TD saving tackles

Skipperron

Guru
In the game tonight, they talked about Leftwich saying that he knew he was the slowest "black" QB but not the slowest QB. In other words even as someone who is extremely slow, he still is faster than white QB's. The announcers said boy we are glad he said that. We could not get away with it. Not PC. I cannot stand Leftwich or Garrard. They are sooooooooooo egotistical.

Skipperron

Guru
The announcers also made the statement that the one thing that seperated Rothlesberger and Charlie Batch was that Ben could move with the ball. Are you kidding me. Batch cannot do anything similar to Ben. I am constantly amazed that Batch keeps latching on to places to play. And I don't care a thing about the Steelers so I am not saying this because of that. I just felt this was another stupid comparison of a lousey black QB to a good white one in which the announcers always rate the black one much higher than should be.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to be thankful for -- I think this was the first time I've watched the Jags play during the Leftwich era without being subjected to the footage from that Marshall game when two of his offensive linemen picked him up and carried him down the field while the announcers yet again voiced their appreciation for his unparalleled "toughness." Iwas beginning to think that the NFL's TV contract stipulated that it had to be shown at least onceduring every Jacksonville game.
smiley36.gif