Toby Gerhart

Bear Backer

Mentor
Westside said:
Man, now I am getting jeolous. She is a babe. Right now Toby's life is great and he deserves it. Its great following this decent/straight young man that is not intertwined with ebonics, crime, antisocial behavior, strip clubs, failing grades, drug use, and all other types of bad behavior.

He's a lucky guy no doubt, lucky I didn't want her. That's all I have to say about that.
smiley17.gif

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Believe it or not, Toby is now the NUMBER ONE rated RB in CaucasianRivals latest power rankings. Here is the link. Never thought I'd see the day.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Toby for breaking through on that ranking!
smiley32.gif

His girlfriend looks like a keeper. Pretty girl.

Gerhart is in a close second to Colt McCoy in the ESPN ranking. As much as I would enjoy seeing McCoy get the award, I hope Toby gets it as a lasting reminder that after 40 years of trying to prove otherwise, the best RB in the nation this year is WHITE!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman09/index

2. Toby Gerhart, Stanford: Full disclosure: I grew up in Berkeley, Calif., but I'm a huge fan of Stanford's star running back. What's not to love about Gerhart? He's the most powerful running back in America, and he's only getting stronger as the season goes on. We won't see Gerhart again until the postseason, but he left us with a tremendous impression by bulldozing Notre Dame on Saturday night. Gerhart finished the regular season with six consecutive games of 120 rush yards or more.Edited by: Electric Slide

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
Believe it or not, Toby is now the NUMBER ONE rated RB in CaucasianRivals latest power rankings. Here is the link. Never thought I'd see the day.

Yeah, it's interesting with all the great white college WRs like Decker, Shipley, McGaha, Cooper, Salas, Meier, Hamil, Komar, Brewer, Wolfe etc. who have dominated this year (we've had 10 or more whites in the top 50 in receiving yardage from mid-season on!) that Rivals can only find ONE white H.S WR worthy of the top 100.

Shipley has been ranked as the #1 WR in the power rankings before for college football, but Rivals is rooting against there ever being WRs like Shipley again.

Gerhart is the top RB in college football, yet Rivals has ONE white tailback ranked a 5.6 or above. In other words one white tailback in the top 100 at the position. Something doesn't add up here (whites are dominating in college, yet Rivals can't find ANY worthy new whites for colleges to recruit). This is a United Negro College Fund(ed) manipulation site.
smiley11.gif

Wow Gerhart started as the 15th Best RB on their list, he made it up to 3 in the next couple weeks, then dropped back to 9 at one point. He's finally atop the heap at number 1! It's not just that Toby is incredibly talented, which he obviously is. It's also his mind focusing in on great performances. I think that's where McGuffie fell short at various points last year, and what we saw with Brandon Wegher (since he got the opportunity to start). I know injuries play a roll, but if our RBs can go out there with great mindsets, the possibilities are limitless! I hope Gerhart will give speeches on what he did for mental preparation!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Positive mindsets can get you far..I agree ES! What do you think will happen to Wegher next year? I think Ferentz realizes he had his best (very long) run wrongfully taken away from him, but I think his very up and down season (mostly down- down the stretch) will get him downgraded to 3rd string next year. Ferentz is more fair than most coaches though- and I think we will see Wegher get half or more of Iowa's carries at some point again before he graduates. Wegher will explode his senior year like Gerhart has!

ToughJ.Riggins said:
Positive mindsets can get you far..I agree ES! What do you think will happen to Wegher next year? I think Ferentz realizes he had his best (very long) run wrongfully taken away from him, but I think his very up and down season (mostly down- down the stretch) will get him downgraded to 3rd string next year. Ferentz is more fair than most coaches though- and I think we will see Wegher get half or more of Iowa's carries at some point again before he graduates. Wegher will explode his senior year like Gerhart has!

I agree. Wegher is not in the best position for the RB battle next year, and I'm sure there are some new recruits coming in as well. But he still has the bowl game to prove himself. Remember, he's only a freshman and was playing a relatively long way from home for a South Dakota boy. When I look back to my freshman year, I know it was tough to balance school, sports, social life, and rest. Hopefully he has a great off-season and matures a little bit before next year. It's important to remember that Gerhart was off the radar only two years ago. And look now he's a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy! As much as we want to see freshman come right in and have an amazing 3 or 4 years, realistically that is not how it usually works out for even the top guys like Gerhart. I saw lets be patient and hopeful about freshman RBs like Wegher, Rex Burkhead, and Matt Kaiserman, who are all at relatively white friendly schools.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Things are definitely looking up. One of my quasi-DWF pals read & told me about the Phil Taylor SI article on Toby (FB Dad posted earlier). Maybe even some DWFs will awaken.

Heads up. Toby is going to be interviewed by "caste whoor" Dan Patrick today.

Will be interesting to hear what is said on this. DP is the biggest black jock sniffer of them all...and has a Heismann vote.

We'll see I guess.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If Dan Patrick gives him a fair chance, it might just start to snow in Arizona. I will say this. Toby has gotten more positive press than any white rb in memory. He deserves every bit of it too.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Do you guys think that if Toby was playing at BYU he wouldn't receive as much attention as he is now? What I am trying to say is that the fact that he plays in the PAC-10 he shouldn't receive the same treatment as Staley because it's a "better" conference.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Luke played weaker competition, that much is certain. PAC 10 has what, 5 ranked teams this season?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, 5 ranked in the top 25 right now. The MWC has had 3 ranked teams for most of the season. As far as Toby getting less attention if he was at BYU, I think it could have been better and worse. Better in that BYU had a ton of attention for the first few games of the season, and even until the Texas Christian game. That would have given Toby more early season exposure than he had this year with Stanford. Worse in that it would be easier to make arguments that Toby played against weaker competition than at Stanford. Although we have to realize that, if Toby was at BYU, he would probably have run for even more yards than he did for Stanford, which would have possibly helped him more. I'd say its pretty much a toss up.

Colonel_Reb said:
Yeah, 5 ranked in the top 25 right now. The MWC has had 3 ranked teams for most of the season. As far as Toby getting less attention if he was at BYU, I think it could have been better and worse. Better in that BYU had a ton of attention for the first few games of the season, and even until the Texas Christian game. That would have given Toby more early season exposure than he had this year with Stanford. Worse in that it would be easier to make arguments that Toby played against weaker competition than at Stanford. Although we have to realize that, if Toby was at BYU, he would probably have run for even more yards than he did for Stanford, which would have possibly helped him more. I'd say its pretty much a toss up. 

Also BYU probably would have done better if Gerhart was at RB. Lot's of things would be different, but I'm glad thing have worked out the way they have!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What I can say is Gerhart has surpassed the numbers Staley put up in 2001 by 200 yards. His yards per carry is much lower at 5.6 compared to Luke's 8.1. Toby also has 26 touchdowns which is 7 more than the next closest rusher in the top 10.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

backrow

Hall of Famer
here's another, quite complimentary article comparing Best and Gerhart.

from the article:
The final question: Who will be the most effective in the NFL? Best is certainly the most explosive, reminiscent of Reggie Bush â€" but you know how Bush's NFL career has gone. Gerhart is more of a power runner, but the ability to run between the tackles is usually the mark of the best NFL backs. Bet on Toby.

ESPNs Ted Miller on the ball again:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/14806/the-case-for-toby-gerhart

The case for Toby Gerhart
December, 4, 2009
Dec 4
11:48
AM ET
Email Print Share
By Ted Miller

I can't take credit for the following research, which came from the great minds inside ESPN, but it clearly should give folks a clear picture of what Stanford running back Toby Gerhart has accomplished this year.

One of the uncomfortable parts of making the case for Gerhart is that it requires poking holes in the resumes for the other top candidate, specifically Texas' Colt McCoy and Florida's Tim Tebow.

McCoy and Tebow have played well this season. And both have had historical careers that won't be forgotten. One of them may win the national championship.

But there's simply not any question which player has had the best season while playing against the best competition. That's Gerhart.

Consider some notes, courtesy Chris Fallica, College GameDay researcher.

* Gerhart has faced six of the top 46 rushing defenses and gained at least 123 yards against five of them. His low against those six teams was 96 yards against Oregon State. In those six games, Gerhart gained 881 yards (146.8) and ran for 14 TDs. That average of 146.8 YPG is actually higher than his overall season average of 144.7 YPG.

* Gerhart has finished strong. In his last four games, three of which came against teams currently ranked in the AP Top 20, Gerhart rushed for 742 yards (185.5 YPG) and 12 TDs.

* McCoy also has finished strong but in his last four games, Texas faced zero ranked teams -- two teams that went 1-7 in the Big 12 (Baylor and Kansas) along with Texas A&M and UCF (which are 111th and 112th nationally in pass defense).

* Tebow has finished strong in his last five games but, again, none of those five opponents are ranked. The stretch consisted of Georgia (10th in SEC in scoring defense), Vanderbilt (2-10, winless in SEC), South Carolina, FIU (119th in nation in total defense) and Florida State (108th in nation in total defense).

* In each of the last seven games, Gerhart has rushed for more, individually, than the opposing team has allowed against all other opponents. Some of the highlights: Gerhart gained 178 yards on a USC defense that has allowed 116.5 rush YPG vs all other teams. He gained 223 yards on an Oregon team which has allowed 118.3 rush YPG vs everyone else.

* Gerhart was at his best when he played the best. In four games against teams currently ranked, Gerhart rushed for 158.3 YPG and 12 TDs (against unranked teams, Gerhart ran for 137.9 YPG).

* Texas has faced only one team currently ranked this season (No. 22 Oklahoma State). McCoy threw for 171 yards on 16-of-21 passing and a TD in a game which the Texas defense/special teams accounted for two TDs.

* Florida has also faced only one ranked opponent this year (No. 15 LSU). Tebow was 11-16 for 134 yards with a TD and Int, though that was his first game following a concussion suffered at Kentucky.

* Gerhart didn't pad his stats against bad teams. Against Washington State and San Jose State (two of the five worst rush defenses in the country), Gerhart gained "only" 121 and 113 yards â€" figures which represent two of his four lowest rushing totals this season.

* 19 of Colt McCoy's 27 TD passes and four of his five best passing games have come against teams which currently do not have a winning record. Against opponents with winning records, he's thrown for eight TDs and five Ints.

* Tim Tebow's last two games accounted for two of his three highest offensive outputs of the season (311 vs FSU, 317 vs FIU). As mentioned above, those teams are in the bottom 13 nationally in total defense.

* Stanford faced only one team from a non-AQ conference this season (San Jose State). The other two non-conference opponents were Wake Forest (ACC) and Notre Dame. Stanford also faced nine Pac-10 opponents. Texas' four non-conference opponents were UL-Monroe, Troy, UTEP and UCF â€" all from non-AQ conferences. Florida's four non-conference opponents were Charleston Southern, Troy, Florida International and Florida State â€" three of which are from non-AQ conferences.

* The only comparison Gerhart loses? Florida and Texas are undefeated, while Stanford has four losses. Yet the losses weren't Gerhart's fault. In them, he ran for 109.3 YPG and 8 TD, while Stanford's defense allowed 34.8 PPG. Tebow and McCoy had the luxury of playing with the No. 1 and No. 5 total defense (Stanford is 85th) and the No. 1 and No. 9 scoring defense (Stanford is 65th).

Again, this isn't about McCoy and Tebow not being good players or Texas and Florida not being good teams, even though both paths to undefeated were no where near as arduous as what Stanford faced.

It's simply this.

Gerhart is the most outstanding player in college football, which is what the Heisman Trophy is supposed to recognize.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

dwid

Hall of Famer
This is great news!
You would think dwfs would start to question as to why there are not more White runningbacks. So many of them get screwed over, by either being overlooked out of high school or converted to another position. Only a few have gotten the chance to be a feature back in College the past decade, yet Whites have now won the Doak Walker twice in that time span with Staley winning it in 2001. It just goes to show, if you give Whites an opportunity to play, they will shine. Congrats Toby!Edited by: dwid

dwid I truly think Gerhart will make a difference. Remember, the DWFs only matter for so much, such as jersey sales, NFL marketing and all that stuff. They have little to say about who playes RB in high school and college. I think the most important aspect is the players themselves and their family. If they demand to play RB, they will. Gerhart turned down offers to big name schools in order to play RB. I think other schools on the level of Stanford, that would do anything to have a 8-4 season, will look to recruit some white RBs. Let's hope Notre Dame's new coach Brian Kelly will do so and help revive that program.

Also, remember there are literally several thousand starting white RBs in high school. Maybe half of them want to play college football. Maybe now they will be inspired by Toby's performance that they will insist on playing RB in college.

Things like this can change the world!