Toby Gerhart

dwid

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Toby Gerhart the all purpose back!! Btw if it counts for anything on ncaa 2008 i rushed for 1,700 yards and 22 tds with him! I can't help it im a nerd for that game
smiley9.gif

looks like you came pretty close to his rushing stats for this year heh, only 4 tds shortEdited by: dwid

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We are half way to our goal for the College Awards. I want him to win the Heisman so bad. I can taste it. Lol. Let's keep up the positive vibes and hopefully be ready to celebrate on Saturday Night. He would be the most exciting Heisman winner since Eric Crouch in my opinion. Even better because Toby is a running back that can and will get a chance to shine on Sunday Afternoons. We have to belive before he can acheive. Just like Toby has to belive in himself. Edited by: white lightning

Westside

Hall of Famer
Not that it will surprise most CFers, but somehow ESPN forget to post a story on Toby winning the Doak Award but had a story on Suh and McCoy winning their respective awards. Seems that ESPN is attempting to down play Toby's ability and not shine light on him so close to Saturday.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just noticed the same thing, Westside, as ESPN still does not have an article devoted to Toby's win.

backrow

Hall of Famer
another good article about Toby.

Mark Purdy: Why you should pull for Toby Gerhart to win the Heisman Trophy
By Mark Purdy

mpurdy@mercurynews.com

Posted: 12/10/2009 05:30:17 PM PST
Updated: 12/10/2009 11:12:49 PM PST

From time to time, I receive complaints that I am an overly opinionated sports columnist. For the next 48 hours, I plan to be even more opinionated.

I really want Stanford running back Toby Gerhart to win the Heisman Trophy, which will be presented Saturday evening in New York City. And you should want it, too.

You should want him to win because if the Heisman is supposedly awarded to "the most outstanding player in college football," then Gerhart is overqualified.

At Stanford, Gerhart has set all sorts of school records and is leading the country in yards gained and touchdowns scored. That takes care of the "outstanding" part of the qualifications.

You should want him to win because he also is big on the "college" part of those qualifications. Gerhart is taking six extra credits this quarter, so he can earn his management sciences/engineering degree faster. One of the courses is Integral Calculus. Another is Introduction to Optimization. If you could post a 40-yard dash time in studying, Gerhart would fry stopwatches.

Gerhart's background is so classic, even the Hallmark Channel might reject his life story for being too unbelievably heartwarming. He comes from the Southern California community of Norco, population 25,000, which is so bucolic that many residents ride horses around town. Norco has therefore adopted the motto of "Horsetown U.S.A." So when you say that Gerhart runs like a thoroughbred, it's probably

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
because he picked up some running techniques from his "neighbors."

Gerhart's entire family is as All-American as they come. His dad and mom were school sweethearts â€" at Norco High, where his dad is now the football coach. Gerhart has triplet sisters and two brothers, all of them athletes. One of his dad's projects this month is to find stored-away video of Toby's days as a grade schooler in Pop Warner football and make a highlight video to show at upcoming Gerhart holiday gatherings. All together now: Awwwwwwww.

You should want him to win, even if you are a fan of rival Cal, because Gerhart has made so many choices along the way to challenge himself. He also plays on the Stanford baseball team, when sticking to one sport would be easier. As a runner, he almost always barrels over people instead of slipping around them, which takes a toll on his body. And when other college programs recruited him solely as a linebacker out of high school â€" Gerhart accepts the theory that it was because he is white and those schools stereotyped him as being too slow â€" he rejected those scholarship offers and accepted Stanford's invitation to come aboard as running back.

You should want him to win because Gerhart had absolutely zero hype as a Heisman candidate before the season, unlike the four other finalists who will join him in New York for Saturday's ceremonies â€" Alabama running back Mark Ingram, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, Nebraska defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. Meanwhile, back at Stanford, Gerhart was walking around campus anonymously on the way to calculus class.

As 2009 progressed, Gerhart ripped off big games in upset victories over USC and Oregon. People began paying attention. Then, against Notre Dame in the nationally-televised regular season finale, Gerhart ran for 205 yards, scored three touchdowns and threw a pass for another one. In other words, he created his own hype with his own

legs and his own toughness. Maybe it's something Gerhart learned in that Optimization class.

You should want him to win because Gerhart respects the Heisman tradition. He said this week that his first memory of the award was in 1991, when Desmond Howard of Michigan won. Gerhart was four years old. Later, when he was 12 years old and playing in a baseball tournament at Cooperstown in upstate New York, his family made a special trip to New York City and the Downtown Athletic Club, where the Heisman once was housed. "I remember seeing the portraits of past winners," Gerhart said. No word if he was taking notes.

You should want him to win because he has basically carried Stanford football on his back from the desert of near-irrelevance.

In Gerhart's freshman year under former coach Walt Harris, the Cardinal had a 1-11 record. After missing most of his sophomore season with an injury, Gerhart hopped on the enthusiasm train with coach Jim Harbaugh and began knocking down victories on the way to a 8-4 record and a trip to the Sun Bowl.

In true Silicon Valley style, Gerhart may be the Heisman's first true strategic YouTube campaigner. While other Heisman finalists strictly post their football highlights, Gerhart's pals at Stanford concocted a short film that lampooned his status as a multisport athlete by having him wear a football helmet while he attempts in vain to play tennis and swim. In another hilarious video, Gerhart attempts to sing with a Stanford choral group. If any voters watched, they had to laugh and be impressed.

You should want him to win because I assume most of you who read this column are Bay Area residents. We all arrogantly agree that we live in the best corner of the United States. But during the 75-year history of the Heisman award, it has treated our local universities the way that prime-time TV is treating Jay Leno. The only Bay Area winner of the award has been Jim Plunkett, the Stanford quarterback of 1970. That's a felony, considering all the other great college players who have passed through these parts â€" including Craig Morton and Chuck Muncie of Cal, Frankie Albert and John Elway of Stanford. It's long past time for another. Long, long, long past time.

Of course, that is just one man's obnoxious opinion. But for the next couple of days, you should consider joining me. Trust me. If Gerhart wins the Heisman, we will all feel optimized.

Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Some Toby links for the interested.
smiley4.gif

Toby wins Doak Walker Award!
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/national/stories/121109dnspodoak.41e14c6.html

Toby is first team all Pac-10 and Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year!
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/6128/gerhart-price-and-kelly-lead-all-pac-10-team

Nice statistical annihilation of the widespread DWF argument (more like BS opinion) that Toby couldn't put up the same numbers in the SEC! This is a must read/distribute article, in my opinion, even though it calls Toby deceptively fast.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/306816-could-toby-gerhart-start-for-alabama

Here's the full text of the last article for your reading/copying pleasure.

The Heisman race from some projections is boiling down to a two man race. A classic east coast vs. west coast showdown for the most prestigious award in college sports.

As an Alabama fan, I'm hoping beyond hope for Mark Ingram to bring the Crimson Tide their first Heisman. I'm not alone in this as all the Bama Nation has threw their support and love behind this truly dominate running back.

Where I do fall off the wagon though is when 'Bama fans start the, "Well,Gerhart couldn't put up those numbers against the defenses in the SEC.", or the one I heard yesterday, "Could Gerhart even start for the Crimson Tide?

The resounding answer was no. Most fans didn't even believe he would beat out Trent Richardson for the 2nd team. And of course, he loaded up his stats on the weak PAC-10 defenses.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Ingram and Richardson, and happen to think they are the best one-two punch in the game. I just think our thinking has to be a little flawed not to believe a 6-1 235lb bruiser, with deceptive speed couldn't trounce our conferences defenses, or any others for that matter.

I know what your saying, well these are just a bunch of opinionated arguments with no facts to back it up.

Well, let me dispel the assumptions.

I took Stanford's schedule, and found the statistical rankings for rushing defense for the 12 teams they played.

Team Rushing Defense Ranking

Washinton State 117

Wake Forest 82

San Jose State 119

Washington 67

UCLA 60

Oregon State 25

Arizona 22

Arizona State 18

Oregon 38

USC 42

California 27

Notre Dame 90

Ok, I took those numbers along with some elementary math, found the average rush defense Gerhart faced would be ranked 59.1 in the nation against the run.

I then did the same thing for Alabama, except I dropped the one FCS team, and kept the number of games at 12.

Team Rushing Defense Ranking

Virginia Tech 52

Florida Int. 116

North Texas 104

Arkansas 69

Kentucky 100

New Miss 55

South Carolina 46

Tennessee 58

LSU 44

Miss. State 63

Auburn 80

Florida 13

The numbers show here that Ingram and Co. faced an average rush defense of 66.6.

Pretty mind numbing for the SEC homer isn't it.

Before you get ready to hit your next point in your argument, I'll take care of it for you.

What about just conference games then?

If you take Stanford's nine conference games, you get an average of 46.2.

Alabama's 9 conference games gives us an average of 58.6.

So either way you look at it Gerhart, by the numbers, faced better run defenses on the year.

Now I'm not putting all this out there to say that Gerhart is a better back than Ingram, or vice versa. They are both great players, invaluable to their teams, whose performances stand on there own.

What I am saying is, if you think Ingram should win the Heisman, that's great. I do too.

If you want to argue the fact Ingram should win it, then let's point out how important he's been to the #1 team in the nation. Mention the fact that he carried the offense during a tough stretch for quarterback. Bring up how he played the best in the biggest games on the schedule.

Just don't say Ingram should win it because he put up the numbers in a conference Gerhart couldn't even play in, it simply won't hold water.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

It dawned on me that it was Bill Belichick who drafted Tommy Vardell at #9. Although Vardell was a FB, it shows Belichick is not afraid to draft a white back with a high pick. Considering how great Welker has been (who is basically NE's RB) I wouldn't be surprised to see NE snag him. Couple Belichick's history with Maroney's poor play the last couple years, and the ideal situation could happen.

bigunreal

Mentor
I wouldn't wish for Belicheck to draft Gerhart. He was hardly fair to Vardell; one game, he'd give him 20 carries and he'd do very well, the next game he'd hardly play, and the primary carries would go to derelict turds like Leroy Hoard.

Belicheck has always used a RB by committee approach, except for the few years when he signed lifetime criminal Corey Dillon. I suspect the only reason Dillon was given so many carries is that Belicheck (like the Bengals coaches) were terrified of Dillon and wanted desperately to please him. It certainly couldn't have been because he was such an incredible talent.

Anyway, wherever Gerhart goes, it will be a real uphill struggle to become a RB who is the primary ball carrier.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, f**k Belicheck. If anyone, maybe Gary Kubiak? as long as he stays on with the Texans, Toby would do well in their scheme.

also: Toby finished second in the AP college player of the year voting.

StarWars

Mentor
Although there are more white RBs in the NCAA than the NFL, the NCAA is the primary source of the caste system. Thinking of the small pool of whites that the NFL hasto chose from to screw over, proportionally, the NFL is much more kind than the NCAA. The NCAA hates white players, and the NFL is just a business that follows ESPN, the NCAA, and what the fans want. That's not tp say the NBA isnt culturally marxist driven, just that Gerhart's D1 NCAA hurdle was equally hard or harder than the draft hurdle.

Kaptain

Master
And now we wait for the chorus of noise from the experts saying that "Toby Gerhart can't be a runningback in the NFL."

Draftcountdown.com has recently moved his status from runningback to FULLBACK. More to follow suit. He is rated as the number one fullback and is not rated at all as a running back. I predict that by draft time nearly all scouting so-called experts will be parroting the same analysis.

Toby Fullback

G

Remember before you get kicked off their boards include the phrase "caste system."

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
wile said:
Remember before you get kicked off their boards include the phrase "caste system."
I've found that using "caste system" or similar characterizations won't get you kicked off of boards, only when you come right out and say something to the effect of "it's because he's WHITE". It doesn't do a lot for our cause to get kicked off of boards, so I try to be somewhat subtle in pointing out the obvious. I recommend to all posters on CF to post like crazy on other boards, higher the profile the better, to get word out to the "masses". I suspect that our efforts are part of the reason we've seen more and more "newbies" here on CF.

White Power

Mentor
I have visited most draft sights not any of them have him as a fullback Scott ****ott Wright. Not to worry most sights have Toby going late 1st early 2nd round. Scott Wright is a white race hater, and someone who has lost credibilty as a draft expert look for him to switch Toby back to running back after his big bowl game against Oklahoma. Many sites in fact have Toby rated very highly as a running back, and most say he has more than enough spped to play the position.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
White Power said:
I have visited most draft sights not any of them have him as a fullback Scott ****ott Wright. Not to worry most sights have Toby going late 1st early 2nd round. Scott Wright is a white race hater, and someone who has lost credibilty as a draft expert look for him to switch Toby back to running back after his big bowl game against Oklahoma. Many sites in fact have Toby rated very highly as a running back, and most say he has more than enough spped to play the position.

I ran across one website that said Toby will be confined to an H-back role in the NFL. This one in particular. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=2210
Edited by: whiteathlete33

chris371

Mentor
I registered and commented. Im going to do that whenever i see a white RB being put down from now on.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've got a good (quasi-DWF) buddy (I went to HS with) that said he'd be "shocked if Toby was stuck at FB". He won't admit to a full caste "system", but says some White players have been shafted. Hopefully, he'll awaken if Toby gets shafted at FB. However, here's to hoping Toby gets to play RB...where he belongs!

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Westside

Hall of Famer
Dixie at this point I hope your friend stays asleep, because I hope Toby does not get forced or refuses to play FB.

TwentyTwo

Master
Adding to thisfrustration is the fact on the list...Charles Scott, Anthony Dixon & LaGarret Blount are list as "Runningback"?? Yet Gerhart is a "Fullback"???All with similar size and speeds?? Crap on the the so-called brainwashed-watered down weak experts if this is the list they can only think up!

I have watched them all play...it is what is...Scott Wright..you are WEAK!

At the combine when Brian Leonard was getting ready to run the 40...the announcer was saying "they are still trying to figure out if he's a tailback or fullback"? Then Leonard runs a 4.49 and they say "yep, he's a tailback"....

I will try not let my blood boil yet...this time next year we can evaluate Gerhart's rookie season...he needs to be at least "splitting carries"; maybe for the Texans?? Then in "year 2" he hopefully won't get the Peyton Hillis treatment; and can prosper as a "feature back"

white is right

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
I wouldn't wish for Belicheck to draft Gerhart. He was hardly fair to Vardell; one game, he'd give him 20 carries and he'd do very well, the next game he'd hardly play, and the primary carries would go to derelict turds like Leroy Hoard.

Belicheck has always used a RB by committee approach, except for the few years when he signed lifetime criminal Corey Dillon. I suspect the only reason Dillon was given so many carries is that Belicheck (like the Bengals coaches) were terrified of Dillon and wanted desperately to please him. It certainly couldn't have been because he was such an incredible talent.

Anyway, wherever Gerhart goes, it will be a real uphill struggle to become a RB who is the primary ball carrier.
Near the end Dillon was basically a fullback taking quick hitters up the gut. He had no ability to turn the corner. Really he should have been demoted to third string tailback. Evans should have been given his bruising runs up the gut as he was faster and more powerful. Edited by: white is right

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Highlander

Mentor
If Toby goes in the first round of the NFL draft, they'll have to pay him some significant sum of money, unlike Peyton, Leonard, Hester, etc. who went in later rounds. Whichever team drafts him will want a return on their investment and paying him a lot of money to sit on the bench or used as a blocking fullback for some overrated "affelete" RB would probably be unlikely. However, we are talking about the NFL ("Not For Lightskins") here, so I wouldn't put it past them. The caste media and industrial complex is very powerful.

JReb1

Mentor
Highlander said:
If Toby goes in the first round of the NFL draft, they'll have to pay him some significant sum of money, unlike Peyton, Leonard, Hester, etc. who went in later rounds. Whichever team drafts him will want a return on their investment and paying him a lot of money to sit on the bench or used as a blocking fullback for some overrated "affelete" RB would probably be unlikely. However, we are talking about the NFL ("Not For Lightskins") here, so I wouldn't put it past them. The caste media and industrial complex is very powerful.

Alstott was taken in the early 2nd round and still converted to FB so it's possible they'll try to do the same thing to Toby.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rob Konrad was also taken in the second round and never considered for anything but use as a blocking back by Jimmy Johnson
smiley8.gif
and the Dolphins. Konrad could have led the NFL in rushing multiple times if he had been used as the big, fast and shifty tailback he was meant to be.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Toby needs to just say no to fullback, tightend or any other nonsensical ideas to keep him in line and thus the furtherance of the diabolical castesystem in place.