Recent BUSTS

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-leadership-has-changed-the-jets-locker-room/

I post this here because Solomon Thomas is one of the biggest draft busts in the past 10-15 years. He flies under the radar but he was very overrated coming out of Stanford - has 10 career sacks and 155 total tackles since being the third overall pick in 2017. I have yet to see him in any sort of all time bust category or even mentioned as a bust anywhere but this site.

grandmaster

Some super-hyped draft prospects from recent years who didn't come close to matching the hype...

Clelin Ferrell
Solomon Thomas
Leonard Fournette
Corey Davis
Marcus Mariota
Dante Fowler
Greg Robinson
Sammy Watkins
Dion Jordan
Trent Richardson
Justin Blackmon

I think the Clelin Ferrell pick spelled the end of Mike Mayock's managing the Raiders, along with the micro aggression of Jon Gruden, when it was raised to infinity. For the fourth overall pick, you don't go with a slow, light weight (comparatively) defensive end.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Last year there was a lot of hype about David Bell not being fast but still was "NFL ready." His rookie year with the Browns was a disaster, just 24 catches for 216 yards for a lofty 8.6 yards per catch. Turns out he wasn't "crafty" or in any other way "NFL ready," just slow, and now he may not even see a second season with the Browns along with another overhyped receiver who's the opposite of Bell -- straight-line fast but who is also not cut out for the NFL.

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes he doesn't see WRs Anthony Schwartz or David Bell making the Browns.​

This has been foreshadowed with the Browns adding Marquise Goodwin and Cedric Tillman, along with Elijah Moore, this offseason. Cleveland was clearly unhappy with its wideout depth. Schwartz has 14 receptions in two seasons and has missed time to concussions and knee injuries. He doesn't have to be rostered in deep dynasty leagues.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Drafted in the third round by the Packers just two years ago. Bust!

Texans waived WR Amari Rodgers.
A mid-season waiver claim last year, Rodgers mostly contributed on special teams. It didn’t take the new coaching staff long to figure out the 23-year-old would be one of the odd men out in a deeper 2023 receiver group. Rodgers has youth and former third-round draft capital working in his favor, but he hits the free agent market with an undistinguished resume.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
He’s still got youff and dat upside. Patriots will probably sign him next haha.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tiny, often injured, way over-drafted as a second round pick in 2020. Has 42 career catches in three seasons. Bust!

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports the Broncos plan to waive KJ Hamler with a non-football illness designation.
As Garafolo points out, “the transaction is procedural,” and the Broncos hope to bring Hamler back. Hamler took to social media earlier and announced he was dealing with minor chest pains and found out he was dealing with a “mild heart irritation, called pericarditis.” Hamler has battled a number of setbacks since the Broncos first drafted him in 2020 and was once a highly-touted second-round pick. We hope he’s able to return to the field soon, and expect him to catch on with a team once healthy.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Can we call the “3 time pro bowler” Jadeveon Clowney a bust? I ask since the Ravens are extending his career. The “once in a generation talent” and #1 overall pick has 43 career sacks in 9 seasons. For anyone who doesn’t want to crunch the numbers, that’s less than 5 a year for The Clown. To compare, “all time bust” Mike Mamula averaged 6.3 sacks per season, yet NFL teams weren’t interested in his services anymore after 5 years. Maybe teams think The Clown still hasn’t tapped his endless upside?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Can we call the “3 time pro bowler” Jadeveon Clowney a bust? I ask since the Ravens are extending his career. The “once in a generation talent” and #1 overall pick has 43 career sacks in 9 seasons. For anyone who doesn’t want to crunch the numbers, that’s less than 5 a year for The Clown. To compare, “all time bust” Mike Mamula averaged 6.3 sacks per season, yet NFL teams weren’t interested in his services anymore after 5 years. Maybe teams think The Clown still hasn’t tapped his endless upside?
The difference between Mamula and Clowney besides skin color and injuries is that when he's not hurt, Jadeveon has the habit of taking plays off.

jphoss

Mentor
Did he earn any of those pro bowls? Or just get them off name recognition

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Did he earn any of those pro bowls? Or just get them off name recognition
It would be hard to say without checking on other elite players in each season. 2017 was his best year and was most likely deserving. 16, 18 and 21 he had “good” statistics, at least for him, but those years were hardly elite by any means. So if I had to say, 3 pro bowls seems like an undeserved amount.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Comical. This guy was one of the most hyped up players I can recall and while not totally unproductive he failed to live up the hype machine built up around him. Players like him (Clowney too) should be exposed - as they were the types billed with limitless upside only to see that they in fact were limited players on the field.

https://nfltraderumors.co/eagles-lb-myles-jack-retiring/

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I was going to post this on the Jets Thread but I’ll piggyback here instead. This opens the door for Alex Erickson, who is now 5th on the depth chart and pretty much a lock to make the team now. One of the 4 men ahead of him is Randall Cobb, who’s mostly there as Rodgers’ buddy. Cobb is only 3 years older than Erickson, but has significantly less tread left on the tires. I would wager Erickson gets chances this year, either due to injury or ineffectiveness of Cobb ahead of him.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I was going to post this on the Jets Thread but I’ll piggyback here instead. This opens the door for Alex Erickson, who is now 5th on the depth chart and pretty much a lock to make the team now. One of the 4 men ahead of him his Randall Cobb, who’s mostly there as Rodgers’ buddy. Cobb is only 3 years older than Erickson, but has significantly less tread left on the tires. I would wager Erickson gets chances this year, either due to injury or ineffectiveness of Cobb ahead of him.
Great news! Erickson making Jets is a positive. I was very vocal early last season that the Packers should cut that bust Amari Rodgers, after his 5th botched punt return. Erickson was wasting away on Washingtons practice squad.. Anyways he’s sitting good with NYJ. Too bad they got rid Berrios. Would have like to see him with ARod.

NikoDuke

Mentor
I was going to post this on the Jets Thread but I’ll piggyback here instead. This opens the door for Alex Erickson, who is now 5th on the depth chart and pretty much a lock to make the team now. One of the 4 men ahead of him his Randall Cobb, who’s mostly there as Rodgers’ buddy. Cobb is only 3 years older than Erickson, but has significantly less tread left on the tires. I would wager Erickson gets chances this year, either due to injury or ineffectiveness of Cobb ahead of him.
Corey Davis was a bust. Who benefited from the caste system. However, everything I've heard about him is that he is a high quality individual who has quite a few life options after NFL.

And I'm hoping this elevated Erickson as he got quality reps today but, I'm hearing the Jets DWFs talking up Brownlee..

jphoss

Mentor
Corey Davis was a bust. Who benefited from the caste system. However, everything I've heard about him is that he is a high quality individual who has quite a few life options after NFL.

And I'm hoping this elevated Erickson as he got quality reps today but, I'm hearing the Jets DWFs talking up Brownlee..
I’ve honestly never heard of this guy and was shocked to see he was drafted 5th overall! But glad to hear he has something to fall back on