Peyton Hillis

white is right

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I agree completely, newguy. We've been saying that for years. but it hasn't happened in most cases. 
I don't why a retired guy who has no financial interest in being a colour commentator or pimping the game at some level doesn't talk about it. When Hillis was being interviewed by Jim Rome he said he was stereotyped as a White running back. Rome knowing the history of White athlete talk ignored any idea of a follow up of that. The last thing Rome wanted was to be discussing sports on the midnight shift at the local Anchorage all sports station...
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif
Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white is right, my best guess is that they are afraid of being called the r word. Although it shouldn't that word has way too much power over most people. In a world free of political correctness it wouldn't be an issue, but then again, the Caste System wouldn't be so pervasive either.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Lets hope Hillis has a big game against Black Jack Del Rio and his merry band of affletes.

On an unrelated note...I would love if the Browns drafted Carimi or Costanzo and put them at RT to team up with Joe Thomas (best LT in the league) Steinbach and Mack.

snow

Mentor
Not so well in the running game (the line was getting owned), but great in the passing game. Rotoworld surprisingly had something positive to say.

Peyton Hillis rushed 21 times for 48 yards and caught six passes for 95
yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 11 loss to the Jaguars.
"Jacksonville's defensive strategy couldn't have been
more straightforward -- they were geared up to stop Hillis. What
separates the beastly runner out of Arkansas from other power backs is
his ability to dominate in the receiving game. Scoring his tenth
touchdown in ten games, Hillis was targeted eight times and bulldozed
Jag defenders in open space. He gets a more favorable matchup against
the injury-depleted Panthers in Week 12.</font> </span>"

Hillis now has 1125 yards from scrimmage for the year.

Edited by: snow

JReb1

Mentor
As strong of a runner as Hillis is, even he cant run over 2 D-linemen who seemed to keep hitting him in the backfield as soon as he took the hand-off... Getting back to the LOS was a challenge today but Hillis looked good receiving and had a highlight leap over a defender who was standing straight up. Not bad for a "slow, nonathletic, overachieving, blue collar" FB...
smiley36.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=698 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<H2>Despite Hillis' usual heroics, Browns fall </H2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Peyton Hillis was at it again on Sunday, going for 143 yards of offense while scoring his 10th touchdown, but it wasn't enough for the Browns in their 24-20 loss to the Jaguars. </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 15px">Our View: He had one of his worst rushing days of the season, carrying the ball just 21 times for 48 yards, but still found a way to make a tremendous impact. He's a dark-horse MVP candidate.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Thats another entry from Rotoworld. Dark-horse MVP canidate?! Are they talking about as a fantasy football MVP? I know the NFL would NEVER allow a white RB to be MVP of the league, especially one playing on a team with a losing record.

As an aside, I was listening to a sports talk radio station the other day (610 WIP/Philadelphia) and, long story short, this black guy calls in, says even though he was born and raised in Philadelphia, he was always a Giants fan. Now, he says, he has become an Eagles fan over the past year. His reason? (And he says it without hesitation) "Because I'm black and Mike Vick is black; a true bruva" (verbatim, this is what he said!!!). The hosts (Rob Cherry, hippie liberal and Hugh Douglas, ex-NFLer) say "thats great, glad Vick converted you!" I imagine they would have the same reaction if I called in and told them why I recently became a Browns fan?
smiley2.gif

Something tells me that I would be labeled by the hosts with the "scary" R-word followed by being called a loser, followed by being hung up on...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hillis had a very productive game, especially, as others have pointed out in the Week 11 thread, given the Browns' lame play calling and failure to provide Hillis with a fullback most of the time. Nearly 100 receiving yards is tremendous. Has there ever been a big back in the NFL with the receiving skills of Peyton Hillis?

white is right

Hall of Famer
How quickly they forget. Mike Alstott had hands nearly as good as this guy. I think in his rookie year he caught 65 balls. Which has to be a Tampa club record.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
How quickly they forget. Mike Alstott had hands nearly as good as this guy. I think in his rookie year he caught 65 balls. Which has to be a Tampa club record.

Alstotthad 65 catches and 557 receiving yards his rookie year, but never more than 35 catches or 242 yards after that. Of course, that was a reflection on how he was never used to his potential. He should have been used his entire career the way Hillis is right now with Cleveland. Yeah, Warrick Dunn had talent, but Alstott was never allowed to wear down defenses by being the main running back. He was tireless and would have been the ultimate fourth quarter beast as Tampa'sfeatured back.

foobar75

Master
As long as that walrus Mike Holmgren is in charge of personnel affairs in CLE, I'll be somewhat nervous about Hillis' chances and his role in the offense going forward. I hope this season is not a flash in the pan. If he's given the same chance next year and has a similar season, I think then we can perhaps breathe a little easier, because with back-to-back successful years, it will be much harder to put that genie back in the bottle.

Remember, Jerome Harrison had a pretty solid 4-game stretch to end 2009, and basically helped save Mangini's job, but Mangini did not hesitate to dump him in Hillis' favor once Hillis emerged as the playmaker that he is. We'll know once the 2011 draft comes along. If CLE does not draft a RB in one of the earlier rounds, I think that means Hillis is safe. Edited by: foobar75

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget that the Browns still have Montario Hardesty, who was drafted in the second round in April and was put on IR in training camp. He was drafted to be the workhorse back, so he's a potential threat to Hillis depending on how things evolve between now and next season.

The dynamics between Eric Mangini and Mike Holmgren aren't known, but Mangini was almost fired after Holmgren was hired and Mangini could be axed after the season; let's hope not as he seems tohave beenHillis's main booster all along. But I do think that as long as Hillis continues to be one of the top running backs in the league, it's gonna be very hard to demote him.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Alstott had good hands, Hillis has great hands. His leaping ability is incredible as well plus Alstott was never used as a receiver lined up wide, just a safety valve.

snow

Mentor
Hillis actually moved 1 spot for rushing yards, to number 11. His ypc dropped though to 4.5. I didn't know that the right side of the Browns offensive line was missing this week until reading some forums.

btw I don't think Hardesty will ever stay healthy.
Edited by: snow

white is right

Hall of Famer
Cassiodorus said:
A related question is "Why do so many black mediocrities at RB stick around the league for years, while players like Hillis languish or are ignored?"
Coaches know these guys and they have proven that can play at a mediocre level in the league. White tailbacks are always viewed as cannon fodder training camp body types. Only the big ones are given chances to make the team and that's usually as fullback/tailback tweener types. QB used to be reverse of this. But now with more Black qbs the journeyman White qb isn't bouncing around from team to team as much anymore.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The NFL is filled with black mediocrities at every position. Look at the huge gulf in fundamentals and ability between a cornerback like Darrell Revis (and one or two others), and the other CBs in the league. Revis knows how to shut down a team's best receiver; while most of the rest of the DBs are constantly badly beaten, can't play angles, miss endless tackling opportunities and don't know how to tackle, and often launch themselves blindly into a receiver with their backs to the ball, which of course draws an interference penalty. But somehow only one White player every 30 years or so is good enough to play cornerback in the NFL.

I really wonder how much NFL players are schooled in fundamentals, and how much they listen, if at all. The spoils of the Caste System become more rotten with each passing season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You've got that right, Don. The level of play has deteriorated to the point that anyone who pays attention and has even a cursory knowledge of the game can tell you it has become much worse.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The NFL is filled with black mediocrities at every position.  Look at the huge gulf in fundamentals and ability between a cornerback like Darrell Revis (and one or two others), and the other CBs in the league.  Revis knows how to shut down a team's best receiver; while most of the rest of the DBs are constantly badly beaten, can't play angles, miss endless tackling opportunities and don't know how to tackle, and often launch themselves blindly into a receiver with their backs to the ball, which of course draws an interference penalty.  But somehow only one White player every 30 years or so is good enough to play cornerback in the NFL. 
<div> </div>
<div>I really wonder how much NFL players are schooled in fundamentals, and how much they listen, if at all.  The spoils of the Caste System become more rotten with each passing season.</div>
I have noticed this at safety more than at corner where I feel the poorer play is more understandable. Corners are basically handcuffed now. At safety because of the physical play that is emphasized the roving free safety who were generally White have been replaced by the mostly Black flying missiles. The flying missiles spear and do helmet to helmet hits and try to jar the ball loose every play but very rarely do what the Larry Wilson type safety did which was cover center field. With the new rules changes I hope that maybe safeties will shrink and White cover safeties like Wilson or a poor mans version in Kelso will come back to the league.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is the biggest load of horse feathers I've seen in a while! Just another reason not to get to amped up about bleacher report. Anyone can write there, and as this example shows, nobodies can write there as well.

Truthteller

Mentor
Bleacher report stuff is mostly trash -- it's basically a glorified DWF message board (with pictures), where oneclown posts his opinions and other DWF'srespond...The whole goal is to make money, which is why, for example, you have toclick 32 times to see a DWF's "mock draft".

Ifarticles (or mocks)are onone page, the "banner ads" don't rotate, so they figured out a scam where they make fools click32 to 35 pages just to seeone lamemock. One DWF even came up withhis top 100 prospects lists recently andit was posted on 100 pages-- I bet few even bother to click more than a few pages.

Even the piece $hit article from above makes you click 9 times (ads rotate 9 times)to read the young Marxist's trash.

Here's the writer, somehow I knew a proud Peyton basher would have this sort of surname and look this:

http://www.facebook.com/mattrudEdited by: Truthteller

white is right

Hall of Famer
Is Matt Rudnitsky the ghost name for Dick Vermeil? Wow this was terrible DWF stereotyping at it's best....
smiley11.gif

DWFan

Mentor
Wow, who would've guessed.

Last name origin & meaning:

Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic), Belorussian, and Ukrainian: habitational name from any of the numerous places called Rudniki in Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, and Lithuania, all derived from Slavic rudnik ‘mine'.

Scumbag.