Peyton Hillis

backrow

Hall of Famer
unlike Furrey or even Curtis Hillis is right now their biggest STAR, simple as that. there's absolutely not one player (maybe with the exception of Joe Thomas) who's a better player and definitely noone as popular. their defense is mostly no names with Fujita the only one standing out, young QB still making a name for himself and bunch of no name receivers, Moore should be their number one, really. Watson is ok, so is Cribbs in the wild cat and return game but Hillis trumps them all.
that's why it's easy to see that he will be the face of this franchise for at least another season, barring the injury.

plus, he is a better at pass protection than most RBs in the league and has a great set of soft hands. oh, and they can also use him in trick plays as a QB
smiley2.gif

JUGGERNAUT!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Absolutely guys. This may be one situation- where even if Hardesty has a higher YPC at the end of next year- that he still only gets about half the carries Hillis gets in 2012. Hillis is EXTREMELY popular- and as br just said, he not only is a beast "WORKHORSE POWERBACK"- who still averages a great YPC and can bust off some long runs as much as a typical average sized RB, but he also catches the ball well and blocks at basically a Pro Bowl level for a RB in the NFL.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Let's enjoy the ride guys. It is a pleasure to watch t his kid run the ball. We have all waited far too long for this moment. I hope he can remain the starting rb for many years to come. I would guess that his job should be safe for a few years at the least barring a terrible injury. The Browns are fun to watch again and we owe it all to Peyton Hillis.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
WL, as long as Hillis stays healthy and performs close to the level of this season- and the Browns soon become a contender (which they are more than capable of) Hillis will probably be the main guy until he hits about 30- and they draft another guy- thinking Hillis' mileage will bring about a decline in play. My crystal ball sees 7-10 years as the Browns starter and 10,000- 15,000 career yards. This guy is the real deal!

You guys are making great points. I do feel better about his chances next season but as I said, I'm only going to focus on the positive and the here-and-now.

You know how we say a lot of these white athletes don't speak up for themselves, they sayself-deprecating things like, "I'm not the fastest guy in the world" or "I'll play fullback or wherever...as long as it helps the team"? Notourboy Hillis:

"I suspected big time I wouldn't be back with the Broncos after last season because I played very, very little," Hillis said. "Why keep a guy like me around if you're not going to play me?

"In Denver, I wasn't given my shot. Nothing against them; maybe I just didn't fit their offense. I was praying every day for a new beginning. I always felt I had the talent to do good things."
"The Browns brought me in because they want me to be successful," Hillis said. "A lot of people are expecting me to do great things here. That's what's so fulfilling, because you finally have people who believe in you."

http://cle.scout.com/2/1022325.html

EDIT TO ADD: I just re-read that article I posted. Ijust skimmedit at first. I missedthissentence that goes along the lines of what we are and have been talking about--take alook:

"Coach Eric Mangini spoke with Hillis when the trade was made and told him he could be a 1,000-yard rusher in the Browns offense. Hillis is on his way to that and more this season"

Wow! My thinking now is that Mangini requested the trade, Holmgren/Heckert thought Mangini would use him as a jack-of-all trades tweener type, Mangini had bigger plans for Hillis. They
MUST finish strong now and make sure that Mangini keeps his job!
Edited by: Toby Hillis

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rise said:
Jimmy Chitwood's article on Peyton Hillis looks to be available on bleacher report now. Should be interesting reading DWF responses.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/516377-cleveland-browns-peyton-hillis-heisman-candidate-or-blocking-fullback

I saw this article by using the link posted here by Rise, but I also went to the Bleacher Report homepage to see if I could find it and couldn't. I went to the Browns section and still couldn't find it. The article only has 106 reads and just 4 comments, so it seems to have been buried by Bleacher Report, or did I miss something that would have helped me find it?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Racist black sports "writer" attacks Peyton Hillis. This guy fails to see that the same racism that black QBs faced up until the 80s is now holding back white RBs. Actually he probably does see it, he just doesn't care and wants revenge. Yep, America still isn't pro-black enough to this twerp:

Pick Six Weekly: Despite numbers, Hillis not an elite RB
By Joey Baskerville
The Journal-Standard
Posted Nov 09, 2010 @ 07:54 PM
Last update Nov 10, 2010 @ 11:39 AM

There isn't a player that irritates and annoys me more than Peyton Hillis, even though I own the guy in one of my leagues.

Hillis epitomizes the reasons why many dislike fantasy football and a part of me doesn't really blame them.

Who is this guy? When did he become the next Mike Alstott who could end up with a better season than the former Tampa Bay Buccaneer ever had?

What bothers me most is that I know the former seventh round pick from Arkansas will never have a season quite like this again and there's doubt as to whether he'll come close to how well he played against New England (184 yards rushing, 36 receiving, 2 TDs).

But nine weeks into the season, he's the fourth best running back in fantasy and has had one week with less than 10 points this entire season. Even though he's only had only had three weeks above 12.

In Week 9, had it not been for a fumble, he would have been the No. 1 scoring leader outright and not tied with Arian Foster, who has proven to be a much better running back than Hillis.

Yet he's discussed with the likes of Northern Illinois University alum Michael Turner (go Huskies), Rashard Mendenhall and Ray Rice â€" true workhorse backs who were expected to carry the load, not a fullback who hasn't been relevant since 2008.

Even if you got lucky with, say, Darren McFadden or Foster, it was at least plausible that if either got their acts together, they had the potential to perform at a high level.

Hillis' emergence speaks to how this year's NFL season has no rhyme or reason and has made fantasy football so difficult to prognosticate.

There isn't a luckier player to own other than Hillis.

Brandon Lloyd has shown flashes throughout his career he could break out as long as he kept an interest in being one of the best receivers in the game. Kyle Orton has been forced to throw because the Denver Broncos haven't had a running game.

And players like Ahmad Bradshaw and Hakeem Nicks were expected in preseason to emerge in 2010.

Hillis has simply been rolling sevens.

Pick Six: Waiver Wire Pickups

I thought about ranting about kickers and how they can outperform running backs who take a pounding all day just to try and rush for 80 yards or eight fantasy points. But I'd rather not make this entire column a venting session â€" even though venting is what spawned this column's very existence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What this guy fails to see is that Hillis wasn't the starter for the first two games of the season and had Jerome Harrison crying about splitting carries with him. What this guy fails to see is that Hillis was injured for 3 games. What this guy fails to see- is that Hillis is a tailback who runs in the toughest division to rack up yards in. What this guy fails to see is that Hillis was a record setting H.S back. What this guy fails to see is that Hillis did very well in limited use as a rusher for Arkansas and in Denver. What this guy fails to see is that I drafted Peyton Hillis in the last round of my draft b/c I knew he'd be consistent if given a chance to be a starter if he stayed healthy. What this guy fails to see is that castefootball was talking about this guy 3 years ago and that PH is NOT simply a FB who will never perform like this again if people like him get his way. If you look deeply into the article it was clearly about more than fantasy football, his frustration is based on racism and he takes every chance he can to attack Hillis through specious reasoning.

I took out some of the article. Read the whole thing below.

Racist Attack on Hillis by a craftier Keilyn Ellis typeEdited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Yes, obviously Hillis is somehow, in some way, not as good as his actual peformance. Affaletes, on the other hand, are always "elite" despite poor play.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Yes Cassiodorus, the mindset of the average DWF is that a white guy, like Hillis, are "overachieving", which means that their performance is a fluke, and is unlikely to be duplicated in the future. While a black player is inherently loaded with magical upside, and can always get better, whether they are doing well or if they suck.

Don Wassall said:
Rise said:
Jimmy Chitwood's article on Peyton Hillis looks to be available on bleacher report now. Should be interesting reading DWF responses.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/516377-cleveland-browns-peyton-hillis-heisman-candidate-or-blocking-fullback

I saw this article by using the link posted here by Rise, but I also went to the Bleacher Report homepage to see if I could find it and couldn't. I went to the Browns section and still couldn't find it. The article only has 106 reads and just 4 comments, so it seems to have been buried by Bleacher Report, or did I miss something that would have helped me find it?

I'm glad you brought this up because I had a similar experience. At first, I tried the same thing you did and had no success.What I figured out: if you do a search for "Peyton Hillis" on Bleacherreport.com, it's the first article that comes up. Also, yesterday, when I was reading a differentHillis article, his name was hyperlinked in the article, I clicked it, and not only was JCs article the first one that came up, there was a giant picture of Hillis with the heading "Heisman canidate or blocking fullback..."

I think the problem is that the article is linked to show up when you search "PeytonHillis," but it should pop up when you search "Cleveland Browns" or just "Browns." I think its VERY important--a lot of DWFs feel safe and secure reading from Bleacher Report; Caste Football, not so much!

WANTED TO ADD: JC or whoever put this article up on Bleacher Report, do they ask you what category you want the article to fall under ie Peyton Hillis, Cleveland Browns, Arkansas Razorbacks, etc.? I also noticed mostof the articles that pop-up when you write "Cleveland Browns" have the words "Cleveland Browns" either in the title or throughout the article.Maybe change thetitle to "Cleveland Browns: Hillis, Heisman canidate or blocking fullback"?

http://bleacherreport.com/peyton-hillis(You'll see it here though not like it was yesterday)Edited by: Toby Hillis

Woody

Guru
The more I look at Hardesty the more I wonder why the Browns ever gave up all those draft picks to get him in the second round...he had one, count it, one healthy season at Ten. He came to the Browns already injured again and had to sit out training camp......he then has a season ending injury on his 10th carry. If he was white and injured constantly, would there be a team in the NFL who would sign him as a free agent, much less draft him in the 2nd round?! If he was white there would be a lynch mob for his head right now, maybe not in Cleveland, but everywhere DWFs are to be found.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Woody said:
The more I look at Hardesty the more I wonder why the Browns ever gave up all those draft picks to get him in the second round...he had one, count it, one healthy season at Ten. He came to the Browns already injured again and had to sit out training camp......he then has a season ending injury on his 10th carry. If he was white and injured constantly, would there be a team in the NFL who would sign him as a free agent, much less draft him in the 2nd round?! If he was white there would be a lynch mob for his head right now, maybe not in Cleveland, but everywhere DWFs are to be found.

It doesn't matter. He has "unlimited" potential due to his skin color. Same thing with guys like Jermaine Gresham. Soon they will be just walking over defenders.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Hillis is big, tough, fast, quick, strong, smart, handsome, prideful, self-confident, openly religious, southern, and white.

The Zionists and White Self-Loathers controlling all NFL-related media for the past 40 years must be convinced that the Anti-Christ has arrived. The phenomenal success of a man such as Peyton Hillis is precisely what these fiends most deserve.

As for the black writer (in the article TJR posted) who is "irritated and annoyed"Â￾ by Hillis more than any other NFL player"¦he must have a terrible case of Penis Envy.

Peyton on The Jim Rome show. Good interview. Jim seems very taken by Hillis. Kind of weird though, Hillis says something about his dad teaching him to be tough when he was young because he knew he wasnt the most athletic guy, then Rome says youre super athletic, then Peyton admits he is....you gotta hear it for yourself. They talk about his athleticism, being a white halfback, the Juggernaut name...

AUDIO OF PEYTON HILLIS ON ROME SHOW (the audio of the 10 minute interview is at the bottom of the article.)

Edited by: Toby Hillis

Woody

Guru
I can't watch a Peyton Hillis video without hearing "And he gets a great block, another great block takes him to the 40" or something like that. The "Great block" jargon starts as soon as he touches the ball and continues well after the play is over. I never hear them say this when L.T. touches the ball, even though he has a great OL in Mangold and Slauson. It's so annoying, sorry to put a damper on this though.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It happens during college games, too. The Caste announcers are well programmed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Black BSPN writer tackles the subject of Hillis and race, but of course only gingerly. No mention of how star White RBsare systematicallyshut out of the college recruiting process (along with star White high school players at WR and defensive positions), and then are further filtered out by the NFL Draft and the media "gurus" who help drive it each year toward the designated black stars and "projects."

There's a comments section after the article, but anything posted will quickly be submerged rapidfire style by hundreds of new posts by the zillions of DWF drones that regard BSPN as a credible source.

Peyton Hillis a Rarity

Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis hurdled the question as easily as he's cleared hapless defenders this season.

I wanted to know how much he'd been asked about his success as a white featured back in the NFL this season. He wanted no part of the inquiry.

"I don't put race into the equation," Hillis said. "I'm a human being just like everybody else."

It was a predictable answer to a predictable question, and I don't blame Hillis for assuming the politically correct position. What I can't do is look at his breakout season and act as if his skin color isn't part of the storyline. Yes, the man clearly has talent that has been ignored for far too long. But it also has been even longer since we've seen a white man running through pro defenses the way he has this year.

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Hillis has gained 726 yards through nine games, while scoring eight touchdowns and averaging a healthy 4.8 yards per carry. He's also accomplished all this while playing on a Browns offense currently led by a rookie quarterback (Colt McCoy) and a bunch of skill players who aren't going to make any defensive coordinators lose sleep in the near future. Hillis basically is the biggest reason why Cleveland fans have a chance to see a competitive game every week these days. His hard-charging, smashmouth style has turned him into an immediate hit with those long-suffering locals.

You'd have to go back decades to find a white runner who has meant this much to his team. Merril Hoge had some decent years in Pittsburgh in the late 1980s and early '90s. John Riggins was a dominant offensive force for the Washington Redskins in the late '70s and early '80s. Let's also not forget about those old-timers who cracked the 1,000-yard mark in the 1970s, men like Miami's Larry Csonka, Oakland's Mark van Eeghen and Pittsburgh's Rocky Bleier.

As for more recent years, there hasn't been a white running back who's even been capable of driving this kind of conversation (and please don't say Tampa Bay's Mike Alstott -- he never looked as dangerous as Hillis has become). Blacks have dominated the position, and it's become nearly impossible to even find promising college runners entering the league who aren't African-Americans. To put this into greater perspective, only eight of the top 100 career rushers in league history have been Caucasian. So when somebody like Hillis comes along to crash the party, you've got to be startled by how rare a guy like him has become.

Keep in mind, this is a man who waited a long time to be a featured back. That opportunity never came when he was playing fullback at Arkansas, primarily because the Razorbacks already had two exceptional backs who eventually would become first-round NFL draft picks (Darren McFadden and Felix Jones). When the Denver Broncos made Hillis a seventh-round pick in the 2008 draft, his prospects didn't look any brighter. Aside from having the versatility to be an effective fullback in the West Coast offense run by then-head coach Mike Shanahan, he had given nobody any reason to dream big about his future.

Then a funny thing happened: Hillis got a shot. When several Broncos runners suffered injuries in 2008, he proved he could do the job by gaining 343 yards and scoring five touchdowns before a torn right hamstring ended his season. The production was enough to keep Hillis on the NFL radar even though he vanished last season in the offense run by head coach Josh McDaniels. And the Browns eventually acquired Hillis (along with a sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft and a conditional pick in the 2012 draft) in a March trade that sent quarterback Brady Quinn to Denver.

When Hillis looks back on those days, he can't come up with an adequate explanation as to why nobody could see him in a feature role. Even in Cleveland, he started as a fullback until injuries led to a shot in a Week 3 game against Baltimore, a chance that Hillis turned into a 144-yard effort.

"I think it was about not being in the right place at the right time," he said. "Or maybe it was about not being in the right scheme. But I'm not worried about that now. I'm just focused on being in the right situation here."

Since Hillis can't make sense of his past, I'll take a stab at it. His previous coaches likely spent so much time looking for runners with certain skill sets that they never envisioned that Hillis could be more than what he was. He got placed in a box, and that's not just because of his skin color. It's because this is what happens when people don't have the vision to see beyond the expectations they've already established in their own minds.

If you think this is flawed logic, just consider the plight of black quarterbacks in the past. Many were labeled as "athletes" or "scramblers" and rarely given a chance to show their abilities as passers because they didn't fit a certain NFL mold. The irony now is that mobility is a treasured asset in quarterbacks, but that's also beside the point. In those days, if you didn't look the part, you didn't get the part.

In Hillis' case, some people will see race attached to this story and assume it's an attempt to be controversial. It's actually just an attempt to be honest. Hillis is showing us something we haven't seen in the league in awhile. In the process, he's reminding us of what makes sports so special in the first place -- that the whole point of competition is to make us understand what can happen when somebody gets a chance.

In fact, Hillis was so confident in his own ability that he promised to be the steal of that offseason trade when he arrived in Cleveland. It was a little out of character for such a humble man, but as he said, "I always felt I had the talent. It was just a matter of getting an opportunity."

As it turned out, Hillis was quite prescient in his thinking. What he couldn't have imagined, however, was that his ability wouldn't be the only reason he'd turn heads in the league this season.

Senior writer Jeffri Chadiha covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=5820618
Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, they hardly ever ask why Hillis is a rarity, and the never answer why he is. So predictable and so misleading, as if he's a one off "White freak." I'm glad Peyton is in the situation he's in right now too, and he's right. It is all about getting an opportunity.

Westside

Hall of Famer
A good and bold article for BSPN. But as always a black writer has to pen it. Most white sports writers are afraid to go as far as this black writer does.

This writer, however, forgets to mention Gerhart as a prolific college runner entering the NFL draft, and the subsequent screwing based on race.

newguy

Guru
I don't think we should shift all of the blame to the sportwirter about not talking more about the discrimination white running backs face. He did at least acknowledge it was part of the equation as to why he did not get a shot with McDaniels in Denver. Hillis had a chance to talk about it as well, and would have not part of it. Hillis was intellectually dishonest in the interview, not to say that I blame him, but some white running back has to at some point speak out more about it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree completely, newguy. We've been saying that for years. but it hasn't happened in most cases.

A related question is "Why do so many black mediocrities at RB stick around the league for years, while players like Hillis languish or are ignored?"

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I read that article on espn. Its typical lazy journalism that does not bother to ask the question as to why Hillis is a rarity. He does not go back to the HS and college levels and explain the racial funneling that takes place...ie white RBs become FBs or LBs rather than being given a fair shot at RB. He should talke about Tim Shaw and how he was the leading rusher in the state of michigan but was forced to convert to LB at PSU. Its pretty much typical of all journalism these days...real lazy and does not even scratch the surface. I also noticed DWID positing some great comments on the article.