Pau Gasol

Bart

Hall of Famer
I've never seen Gasol play. Judging from what I read in the box scores, he's got to be one heck of a player.

He's a typical White player - solid, unassuming, and fundamentally strong in all aspects. In other words, he's not flashy, so he'll never make the highlight reel even though he's outscoring everyone else on the floor. (Question: how many times a night do sportscasters showcase a thunderous Monkey-dunk, and then you read in the boxscore that the "dunker" had a total of 6 points in the game?). Solid defense and 20-points-a-night with a reliable jumpshot mean nothing to the promoters of the high-flyin', hip-hop NBA.

In his home nation (Spain), Gasol is an icon. One of his national teammates said Gasol is more popular than most soccer players, which is almost unheard of in a European country.

white tornado

Mentor
Pau has the best low post moves since Hakim. Plus one of the best first steps in the game. I would agree with Sothern Knight that Pau is "solid, unassuming, and fundamentally strong in all aspects. " But he he doeshave some highlight reel dunks. I saw him play live before and he's a very entertaning player to watch.

KG2422

Mentor
He's getting alot of blocks and rebounds this year to go with his solid scoring. He's really coming into his own.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thunderous Monkey-dunk!
smiley36.gif
Man, SouthernKnight, that is hilarious! Thanks for making my day.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wow is right. He's truly a all-around athlete.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just reread this thread and laughed again at SK's hilarious phrase! Oh Man!
smiley36.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Pau Gasol has been playing very well, having anothernice game last night,14-24, 36Pts 8Rebs, 3Assists He's averaging just about 20 points, 9 rebounds and 41/2 assists per game. I thought he was doing very well until I read Charlie Rosens's assessment of him.

Rosen: Gasol is simply too slow, too mechanical and too limited to be the go-to scorer on any team that wants to challenge for a championship.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Gasol tonight at Seattle had anotherbig game, going 17-28 totaling 44 points, 9 boards and a couple blocks. Not bad for being too slow, too mechanical, too limited and too white.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gasol is taking his game to even another level.I am really happy for him.He seems to finally be getting some respect on Sports Center.Wake up fans and realize just how good this guy is!
smiley32.gif

whiteCB

Master
Pau Gasol is the real deal and a top 20 player in the league. Ask any fantasy bball player and they'll tell you just how good Pau is. If the Grizzlies do well in the playoffs(go past 1st Rd) this year Gasol will get a lot more press.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
That has been their problem, getting a series win. Once they win a first round series, Gasol will get a lot of respect.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Gasol was 13-15, with 8 assists, three blocks and 33 points tongiht against the Bucks. He should get at least a little hype for MVP. Why not??

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Bart said:
Why not??

Do you really need me to answer that for you?
smiley17.gif
But I think if Gasol was able to win a playoff series, it'd help him in future years with generating MVP hype.. people just don't respect the Grizzlies cus they're not considered a threat in the loaded west..

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would love to see the Grizzlies make some noise.Mike Miller is coming on as off late & Gasol is on fire.They have a chance with the way the score points in bunches.It will come down to them playing good team defense.I can see them pulling a upset in the first round.I will be rooting for them.

j41181

Master
Pau Gasol is now a Laker. He is in prime position to become one of the BEST NBA stars in the coming years, which he has all the necessary tools to do so. But will the Lakers, Phil Jackson, Kobe, and even the NBA itself let him?

He has only 1 ALL-STAR GAME Appearance (despite winning ROOKIE OF THE YEAR award), when he should be a 7-time NBA ALL-STAR already by now.

As a Laker, he should not only start winning NBA Titles, but start making ALL-STAR appearances also. But I have my doubts. Expect YAO MING to start HOGGING All-Star Voting Ballots, especially at the CENTER position, when either GASOL, KAMAN, or BIEDRINS appear more deserving. No thanks the NBA's China-favored voting policy. There is no NBA voting ballots in SPAIN itself.

I hope the HISPANICS (White, Black, and Brown alike) of L.A, California, and the whole U.S.A itself can give him some much needed voting boost.

The PF position is very tight with DUNCAN, BOOZER, NOWITZKI, and even STOUDAMIRE around. SF position is out of the question.

So what are the chances of Pau Gasol making the ALL-STAR Games to go along with his soon to be NBA Rings? VERY SMALL, unless the GREAT WALL breaks down again.

Regardless, congratulations PAU, you are about to win more NBA rings than any other EUROPEAN, let alone foreigner than ever before in the NBA.

In terms of Playing-style, Pau's game to me is a combination of VLADE (passing), and MCHALE (low post moves). Let's hope for the best PAU.

LATER.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Sweet move as Pau leads the fast break. I wish more whites would be flashy when its appropriate so that they would get more of the credit they deserve as ball players.Edited by: Freethinker

j41181

Master
Dudes, Pau Gasol had 33 points and 18 rebounds today in a win over the Golden State Warriors!
smiley10.gif

Vote this guy to the All-Star game please!!!!
smiley20.gif

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Is he in as a reserve, or a starter? Don't know how the NBA All-Stars work.

Any other whites involved in All-Star weekend?

j41181

Master
He is a Reserve, the only other White to make the All-Star game is Dirk Nowitzki. For Dirk it's his 8th, this is Pau's 2nd trip.

Quite a shame, I thought at least 4 more whites deserved to be there.Edited by: j41181

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Quick gripes:

Dirk should have been starting.

David Lee (although his stats didn't really pile up until Zach Randolph was traded) could have made it.

Shaq making the team again is an embarrassment. Andris Biendrins, who rarely is allowed to shot the ball with all of his greedy negro "teammates", would have had the spot instead if there was any sanity in the NBA.

On a slightly more positive note in the Rookie vs Sophomore game we have 3 rooks (C Brook Lopez, C Marc Gasol and SG Rudy Fernandez). PF Luis Scola is the lone sophomore.

j41181

Master
Robin Lopez should have been given a lot of playing time, if not for old man Shaq.

Pau Gasol will get a chance to shine for the rest of this season, with Andrew Bynum out. While it may weaken LA, it will boost Gasol's stock as an NBA star.