NFL Preseason 2009: signings, cuts etc.

StarWars

Mentor
Yes, if he were black then every team in the country would want his 4.18 40 for punt/kick returns and as a scat back or slot receiver.

Boggs

StarWars said:
Yes, if he were black then every team in the country would want his 4.18 40 for punt/kick returns and as a scat back or slot receiver.

Nothing against the guy, but anyone can say they run a 4.18. It's a lot harder, however, to actually do it.When he had the opportunity to prove he was a freak, he ran a 4.47, and a 4.54. While those times would have been sufficient for big school guys with big stats (Hester, Hillis, etc), a small school, non-Combine, average numbers against subpar competition guy is gonna have to bring more to the table to turn heads.

Personally, I think his 4.40 shuttle hurt him more than his 40 time. Tony Fiammetta was the only combine runningback to run it slower.. and he was a fullback.Edited by: Boggs

Riddlewire

Master
Boggs said:
Nothing against the guy, but anyone can say they run a 4.18.  It's a lot harder, however, to actually do it.  When he had the opportunity to prove he was a freak, he ran a 4.47, and a 4.54.  While those times would have been sufficient for big school guys with big stats (Hester, Hillis, etc), a small school, non-Combine, average numbers against subpar competition guy is gonna have to bring more to the table to turn heads.
So then you believe that Rashad Jennings from Liberty (4.64) should not have gotten drafted by the Jaguars.
Excellent. I agree.

StarWars

Mentor
Boggs said:
StarWars said:

Nothing against the guy, but anyone can say they run a 4.18.  It's a lot harder, however, to actually do it.  When he had the opportunity to prove he was a freak, he ran a 4.47, and a 4.54.  While those times would have been sufficient for big school guys with big stats (Hester, Hillis, etc), a small school, non-Combine, average numbers against subpar competition guy is gonna have to bring more to the table to turn heads.

Personally, I think his 4.40 shuttle hurt him more than his 40 time.  Tony Fiammetta was the only combine runningback to run it slower.. and he was a fullback.

No his combine was in the rain and wind. Not to mention I could sit here and give you a dozen small college, slightly below average 40 time players that are black get drafted. I do agree with you that RBs like Roehl were more solid choices, but this guy deserves a chance with his burst and blinding speed. Do you honestly believe people would bring up his 4.47 if he were black. Ya right! They would round his 4.18 down to 4.1 and call him the fastest man alive.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Boggs said:
StarWars said:

Nothing against the guy, but anyone can say they run a 4.18. It's a lot harder, however, to actually do it. When he had the opportunity to prove he was a freak, he ran a 4.47, and a 4.54. While those times would have been sufficient for big school guys with big stats (Hester, Hillis, etc), a small school, non-Combine, average numbers against subpar competition guy is gonna have to bring more to the table to turn heads.

Personally, I think his 4.40 shuttle hurt him more than his 40 time. Tony Fiammetta was the only combine runningback to run it slower.. and he was a fullback.

Lets get a little perspective here. Zwinggi's 4.4 shuttle time is definitely perplexing with the 40 times has ran before I agree, but I think this has to do with his Pro-Day being outside with some rain and lots of wind (according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com).

Here is what Stan Zwinggi ran in H.S at different camps:
2003 40 Times
Texas Camp: 4.39
TCU Camp: 4.30
Baylor Camp: 4.29
A&M Camp: 4.32
A&M Camp: 4.26 (Winner - Fastest Man Competition)

Zwinggi was even selected as an Army All American, but still got no serious interest from FBS schools.
Here are his 2003 H.S stats:
2003 Personal Stats (9 games)
Total Offense: 2202 yds
Total Scoring: 24 TD's
Average Yds per Carry: 8.5 yds
Average Yds per Catch: 30 yds

If I recall, Zwinggi ran a 4.35 at his Junior Day last year at Texas State. I would PREDICT a low to high 4.3-40 time by Zwinggi if he attended the NFL Combine.

In college Stan had an impressive 6 YPC rushing average which makes you wonder why he didn't play more. He had 5.6 YPC in 2006 and 2008 and had a VERY IMPRESSIVE 6.7 YPC average in 2007.

I ranked Stan as a 5th round pick or so, due to his potential, eye popping speed and amazing H.S career. He also had good production when he actually did get to play in the FCS. Stan was my 3rd small school back after Roehl and Rashad Jennings. BTW Kmic was only my 5th small school back after Jarvis Williams.

I've seen highlights of Zwinggi on Youtube.
His agility is around average for a speed/ scat-back that plays in the NFL, but his speed is eye-popping. He wasn't going to run a 4.18 at the Combine (I'm realistic). Chris Johnson and Rondel Mendez have the electronic record of 4.24 since 1999. Trust me though Zwinggi would have had a good CHANCE to challenge Heyward Bey's 4.3 flat-40 time for fastest participant if he attended.

Zwinggi was suspended before by Texas State for breaking team rules, so that could have also affected his stock. However, much more serious offenses certainly didn't hurt Division II Harlon trophy winner Bernard Scott who was arrested AT LEAST 5 TIMES and is significantly slower than Stan Zwinggi and at least 3 years older than the typical college senior. Overall I think Zwinggi is a better prospect than Bernard Scott despite Scott winning the Harlon Hill trophy.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Scott was also considered too light by NFLdraftscout at 5'11 200 lbs., but somehow a better prospect than Woodhead who was also small, but more compact at 5'7.5 198 lbs. Woodhead was more productive overall for his entire college career, a significantly younger prospect, much faster, more agile and had spotless character unlike the huge rap sheet of Scott.

Here is the thread discussing this: (which includes Scouts views that Scott "isn't big, fast or strong")
http://castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9903

BTW: Zwinggi's Pro Day 40 times of 4.47/ 4.54 would be around average for a typical RB in an NFL teams playing rotation, but Stan has proven before he is even faster than that.
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
"Fullback" Brannan Southerland has been cut by the Jets already. This guy would be more than a serviceable power back in the NFL if he was "allowed" to lose some weight. The Jets seem to specialize in signing white RBs and then never giving them an opportunity. Not a good sign for Danny Woodhead.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Jet's also cut Josh Davis out of Nebraksa. I'm hoping the Seahawks repeat their past with the cutting of Lumsden. We need some of our guys to get a chance.

Out of everything, what has transpired in Denver just makes me want to throw up. Then add Matt Jones to it and it's no wonder I stick to mostly college football.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tyler Roehl tore his ACL during a non contact kickoff coverage drill...

he is done for the season.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
backrow said:

I'm starting to hate Seattle all over again. Looking at their depth chart, Hass is nowhere to be seen. Wonder if he makes it past pre-season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I read that article, I like Lyons attitude. He had some of the best hands i have seen.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Its very great to hear that Lyons is getting a chance somewhere, hopefully its a real chance and he an get back to his 4.4 speed. 4.5 is still good.

But then he saw the New England Patriots take North Carolina's Brandon Tate in the third round. The hairs on the back of his neck rose. That chip on his shoulder inflated. Like him, Tate suffered a season-ending injury. Unlike him, a team took a chance on Tate.

"He went third round to the Patriots,"Â￾ Lyons recalled in his confident drawl....What the hell does drawl mean? is that implying he has a southern country boy accent? he is from new orleans and does not have the typical southern drawl.

"I don't really know how long he played receiver but I know I had more yards"¦I think it's different when you're a short wide receiver. They see 6-foot-2 and see the body frame. I think they were scared that I was 5-10, run a 4.5 and am hurt."Â￾

when is 5'10 short? 5'10-6'0 is average height for most people, I am close to 6 foot and taller than a great deal of people. There are other receivers around the same size, 5'10-6'0. Its only been recently that they are going towards taller receivers around 6'1, 6'2. I think 2008 draft the average receiver height was 6'1 Steve Smith is 5'9 so is Wes Welker. Considering there are tons of corners that are around that height I dont think it would be much of a problem.

there are two different types of receivers, the taller ones with more long speed and sometimes more physical and then the shorter ones who have shorter legs and are usually quicker because of it and can make open field moves like a running back after the catch. Dicky Lyons fits that mold. I mean sometimes there are taller guys that can do that but its usually the ones around his size that are the best at being quick and they are just usually just as tough or tougher than the taller receivers ie Welker.

I think Lyons knows the real reason why there was little pro interest towards him. I think he got lucky to show how great he was and got playing time in the SEC because of who his dad was but i doubt he will get that treatment in the pros.Edited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WHITE NOISE said:
backrow said:

I'm starting to hate Seattle all over again. Looking at their depth chart, Hass is nowhere to be seen. Wonder if he makes it past pre-season.

Shoot, that makes me sick! I was hoping Tyler would get a chance to show his stuff in the pre-season and hopefully make the roster.
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Dicky Lyons will work out for the Bills on June 18th:
<div></div>
<div>Confident Lyons to work out for Bills </font></div>
<div></div>
<div>http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&amp;p=2&amp;c=870447</div>

Funny how quite a bit of info on white WRs has been coming from that Mississippi State scout page lately. I found a bunch of white college WR prospects on it not too long ago. Interesting...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you have to love Lyons' attitude, for sure. and i must admit, i agree with him. this kid can flat-out play football, and whoever gets him will be getting a steal ... IF they give him the opportunity his talent deserves, that is.

StarWars

Mentor
The average height of a human is 5'9 1/2." This is where the greatest % of people are, and probably the most athletic people. My bet is there are a lot more 5' 9 1/2" that are black then are white in the NFL, proving the tendency to choose black athletes over whites.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
One question?? WHy in the world would New England waste a third round pick on North Carolina's third receiver?? Brandon Tate who was also injured is a complete and utter joke. C'mon Lyons make it in Buffalo. Josh Reed has not done anything since he's been in the league, Roscoe parrish is nothing special. He has a legit chance to make this roster, he needs to stay healthy. BTW ill take Lyons over Steve Johnson anyday.